Pushing packages to guru
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justin025
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 2:33 pm    Post subject: Pushing packages to guru Reply with quote

I would like to push a few ebuilds in my local overlay to guru but the regulations, specifically #9 here were a little vague. Could anyone more knowledgeable then me take a look at the ebuilds below and let me know if they qualify. I don't want to go through the process of registering as a contributor just for them to get rejected. I would be willing to maintain them and a few other unmaintained packages I use from guru.

I didn't upload metadata, but the use flags are pretty self explanatory.

www-client/mullvad-browser-bin-13.5
https://pastebin.com/rEJR4Eui

mail-client/betterbird-bin-115.12.0
https://pastebin.com/MHs9BdzE
AndrewAmmerlaan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These ebuilds are absolutely fine.

Rule #9 exists to prevent ebuilds which, for example, do only the equivalent of "cd $DESTDIR; wget $SRC_URI". It is also intentionally a bit vague because it is very difficult to precisely define what crosses the line of being useless. The most important point of the rule is that you, as the author, have thought about "does this really have to be an ebuild?" and have found some reason for the answer to be yes.
GPU: Intel Arc A770 16GB & Intel UHD Graphics 630
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32GB DDR4-2400
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The most important point of the rule is that you, as the author, have thought about "does this really have to be an ebuild?" and have found some reason for the answer to be yes.
So... is "I want those files to be tracked by portage" enough of a reason?
The counter-example of a wget script suggests a negative answer, but it is also a terrible example.... Don't use wget scripts.
Banana

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do find those ebuilds usefull (I can't say anything about the quality). Just compare it to other -bin packages, like firefox.

PFL - Portage file list - find which package a file or command belongs to.
My delta-labs.org snippets do expire
justin025
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndrewAmmerlaan wrote:
These ebuilds are absolutely fine.

Rule #9 exists to prevent ebuilds which, for example, do only the equivalent of "cd $DESTDIR; wget $SRC_URI". It is also intentionally a bit vague because it is very difficult to precisely define what crosses the line of being useless. The most important point of the rule is that you, as the author, have thought about "does this really have to be an ebuild?" and have found some reason for the answer to be yes.

Thanks for the help, I just have one question. I created a new gpg key and followed the guide here but am unable to add them to the keyserver, as a result my pull requests are marked as unverified. Do you know how I can go about uploading it? Thanks again
sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
Quote:
The most important point of the rule is that you, as the author, have thought about "does this really have to be an ebuild?" and have found some reason for the answer to be yes.
So... is "I want those files to be tracked by portage" enough of a reason?
The counter-example of a wget script suggests a negative answer, but it is also a terrible example.... Don't use wget scripts.

Such an ebuild may be okay locally but not necessarily of broader use to anybody, hence not worth putting in a communal repository - even if you want to publish it in your own.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justin025 wrote:
Thanks for the help, I just have one question. I created a new gpg key and followed the guide here but am unable to add them to the keyserver, as a result my pull requests are marked as unverified. Do you know how I can go about uploading it? Thanks again

The Gentoo key server indeed is for Gentoo developers only, but you should be able to upload to the public keyserver [1] instead.

That said, if I remember right-like, GitHub does not care about key servers, but rather that the key is added to the GitHub [2] account.

1. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Infrastructure/Generating_GLEP_63_based_OpenPGP_keys#Submit_the_new_key_to_the_keyserver
2. https://docs.github.com/en/authentication/managing-commit-signature-verification/adding-a-gpg-key-to-your-github-account
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: