What are the comman packages to have ~amd64
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
User7z
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 6:25 am    Post subject: What are the comman packages to have ~amd64 Reply with quote

I herd in a reddit forum that a good practice to have the latest gcc in the system , well is this true , iam a desktop user , what other packages to consider to be ~amd64 and what to consider 9999 , and is it reasonable and stable to have ~amd64 world wide , because if per package i dont understand really portage's behaviour with the dependencies but i gues i have to manually search for depencies of that pkg and and put them~amd64 and the dependencies of the depencies also and so one and so fourth , and wich packages as a command practice to have thier binary instead of compiling in the case they have it and the compiling adds negligibale to know benifit ,thank you guys for sharing your experiences and knwledge !
BurningMemory
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: What are the comman packages to have ~amd64 Reply with quote

That's quite a bit to break down. First, let's address unstable and stable. In gentoo, everything that is
keyworded as stable (i.e. amd64, but without the tilde) simply is marked as tested and working. It is completely
unnecessary to have any ebuilds as unstable or even latest git versions (which are most of the time
labeled as 9999). It is only necessary when an ebuild is missing a stable keyword entirely.
It is completely up to the user to choose whether to use the bleeding edge or not.
It doesn't automatically make everything work better or anything, it's just more
new stuff. If you are thinking about marking something as unstable you should look
at the changes in upstream. And as for switching the whole system tree to unstable -
I personally do not recommend it. It generally brings a lot of headaches as the software
is usually not well-tested. Especially so, if you are running an architecture other than x86.

Now about the gcc version. As mentioned above, benefits are not guaranteed it's just a
more recent version of the codebase. Most of the time, even if the new version brings in
some new fancy features, the impact is not very noticeable. So if you just wish a stable
experience then stick with the latest stable gcc version. Otherwise, if you want to test
something in development for example, you can look at this wiki page.

And no, you don't have to do most things manually. Most of the package-management work
is done automatically by our lord and saviour portage, with which you usually interact
via the emerge command. If you mark a package as unstable, upon update, portage
will automatically find all the dependencies you will also need to mark as unstable.

Binaries are absolutely optional. You don't have to use them and they are most
of the time not very useful unless you have weak hardware or a bunch of machines and
you don't want to compile the same things on all of them. Other than that, binaries
are mostly useful for big packages such as browsers, llvm, clang, gcc (although compiling
the compiler is generally considered a better practice, in my humble opinion), rust and
some others I can't think of right now.

Hope this answers your questions. Also, please, before posting anything do some research
on the wiki as you can, generally speaking, find your answers quicker and without much
work from either you or anyone on the forums. Have a nice day.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: