View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luke Gompertz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 5:28 pm    Post subject: EasyTag corrupts files and doesn't show menu items Reply with quote

Hello, first time on this forum so let me know if I'm doing it wrong!

I installed media-sound/easytag today. I encountered a problem editing .opus files where EasyTag irreversibly corrupts any files it edits. (Pretty serious issue which I made a comment on here: https://bugs.gentoo.org/617818. Also let me know if I should raise that issue in some other way!)

While investigating this I discovered that my menu bar is missing all menu items. When I launch EasyTag through the command line I see this error:

Code:
Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"

Had a check and seen this module isn't installed on my system. (I'm using wayland and KDE.) Is this a case of Gentoo missing a dependency it should have, or is this intentional in this context? I've tried adding "appmenu-gtk-module" to my @world set but then I just get a different error on launch:

Code:
Gdk-CRITICAL **: 18:06:47.063: gdk_wayland_set_dbus_properties_libgtk_only: assertion 'GDK_IS_WAYLAND_WINDOW (window)' failed.

Perhaps I've done something silly (e.g. this application can't be used on wayland)?

Thanks for your help!
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the EasyTag corruption issue but, regarding the appmenu-gtk-module error message you're getting, have you tried merging x11-misc/appmenu-gtk-module with USE="gtk2 wayland"?

On a related note, I also use KDE, sometimes with Wayland and sometimes with X11. Some applications give that error message if I launch them in a terminal window but work fine. I think that module is designed to put menu items on a GNOME/Mac-style Global Menu at the top of the screen, isn't it? In KDE I don't have a Global Menu, so it doesn't matter.

My blog
Luke Gompertz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
have you tried merging x11-misc/appmenu-gtk-module with USE="gtk2 wayland"?

Amazing, that worked. Thanks! With my menus working I can go back to investigating the file corruption bug :D

So the menu problem seems like it was a missing dependency on "x11-misc/appmenu-gtk-module" then? Is this something to contact the maintainer(s) about, and if so, how would I got about doing that?
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "my menus" and "menu bar", are you referring to a Global Menu bar? Which one is that, as I don't have a Global Menu in my KDE installations? Or are you referring to something else? Also, is your question asking if EasyTag should have a conditional dependency on x11-misc/appmenu-gtk-module, or if something else should have a conditional dependency on x11-misc/appmenu-gtk-module?

My blog
Luke Gompertz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for not being clear. By "menu" I mean the buttons that appear along the top edge of the window – File, Edit, etc. I do use global menu in KDE but even when I got the menu items appearing it was in the window rather than in the global menu.
  • After installing and launching EasyTag there were no menu items appearing either in the global menu or along the top edge of the window. (Error messages were as above.)
  • I then installed x11-misc/appmenu-gtk-module with the gtk2 and wayland USE flags.
  • Afterwards the menu items appeared along the top edge of the EasyTag window. (Still nothing in the global menu.)
To me that seems to indicate that Portage should have installed x11-misc/appmenu-gtk-module as a (conditional) dependency of EasyTag. Hope that makes sense!
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds plausible that media-sound/easytag has a conditional dependency on x11-misc/appmenu-gtk-module. You could file a bug report in the Gentoo Bugzilla.

My blog
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: