emerge @world almost 1000 lines
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:59 am    Post subject: emerge @world almost 1000 lines Reply with quote

When your emerge -puvUD @world goes to just not 1000 lines, more than half of it issues due to change of profile and Python you know it is time for a re-install... :(

https://quirinus.one/gentoo/emerge.txt
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanik,

The update and profile change are two separate steps.
It sounds like you system is badly out of date but it can be fixed, if you want to do it.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it is one month since the last @world. Depends on the time it takes. With python update I'm often one week busy (can't be behind the pc all the time...).

I did the profile first as that came up immediately after the emerge --sync.

Is it an option to turn back the profile change and then proceed with the update? more then changed the profile and then the emerge -puvUD @world that gave that output wasn't done. So I don't think that anything changed to the setup.
EDIT: just tried it, no change in the emerge output, same blocking issues.
toralf
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run
Code:
cat /var/lib/portage/world | while read -r p; do if ! equery d $p | grep -vF '* These packages depend on' | grep -q '.'; then echo $p; fi; done
and remove those which you do no longer want to have?
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toralf wrote:
Run
Code:
cat /var/lib/portage/world | while read -r p; do if ! equery d $p | grep -vF '* These packages depend on' | grep -q '.'; then echo $p; fi; done
and remove those which you do no longer want to have?

This just gives me a list of everything in @world and more because every package depends on some others.

I'll just let this install rot till it doesn't function anymore and then go for the complete reinstall. 3 years has been good for a Gentoo install. Never been able to get longer without reinstalling everything. Most often because of Python and/or Perl. I have no idea why programming languages cannot be backward compatible. The C stuff from K&R you still can compile on the latest GCC. But going from whatever version of Python to the next breaks as good as everything.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current personal system was installed sometime pre-2010. I don't have an exact date anymore - although it's probably from around or before when I created my forum account. None of the original hardware remains, but the software has survived multiple hardware replacements without a reinstall.
toralf
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanik wrote:
This just gives me a list of everything in @world and more
I'm curious how it can be "more"?
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
My current personal system was installed sometime pre-2010. I don't have an exact date anymore - although it's probably from around or before when I created my forum account. None of the original hardware remains, but the software has survived multiple hardware replacements without a reinstall.

That was the case before. I only did reinstalls when I got a new pc and harddrives. But since systemd, pulseaudio, wayland, python, rust and perl being used more and more for critical things the reinstall cycle is becoming shorter and shorter. I'm just getting tired of having to spend every 2 weeks days on the forum needing to bother you guys to get it going again. And then the laptop same thing because you just need one so you have internet to get first one, then the other up again.

In the days I came to linux, every updae of windows needed a reinstall. These days linux is fast approaching that while windows updates are largely fine apart from having to reboot 7x times (at the office at least, don't have one myself at home).

toralf wrote:
Spanik wrote:
This just gives me a list of everything in @world and more
I'm curious how it can be "more"?

Also loads of libs and so that I never added to the world. So I have absolutely no idea how to get this back to normal. And right now I cannot spend the week needed to reinstall. The base linux isn't the issue. It is all the other stuff, the little programs you use a couple of times a year.

Sorry, I'm slowly loosing confidence.
sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confident we could sort it out either interactively in #gentoo or here with some patience, although I often find IRC easier for these cases.

The summary of fixing this stuff up is https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Sam/Portage_help/Maintaining_a_Gentoo_system (dropping stale Python entries from /etc/portage, check what's in world that cannot be re-emerged because it's masked/removed/etc), and done.

But if you're looking to vent, that's within your prerogative of course.
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think IRC might be difficult. I don't have the habit (never used it) and with time differences here might be easier.

I'll start with --depclean, then switching to the new profile because I don't like that message each time emerge starts.
sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here is fine in that case.

Please don't change profiles yet (it's easier from a clean state and the news/instructions for it say to update and depclean first). As for depcleaning, I suspect you won't be able to yet.

Anyway, you should be able to follow the wiki page I linked and https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Sam/Portage_help/Upgrade_went_wrong (which I forgot about, it's a better fit for you).

If you get stuck, please share in full:
1) the output of 'emerge -p -uvUD @world';
2) the output of 'emerge -pev @world --backtrack=0';
3) the output of 'grep -rsin python /etc/portage'
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam_ wrote:
OK, here is fine in that case.

Please don't change profiles yet (it's easier from a clean state and the news/instructions for it say to update and depclean first). As for depcleaning, I suspect you won't be able to yet.

Anyway, you should be able to follow the wiki page I linked and https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Sam/Portage_help/Upgrade_went_wrong (which I forgot about, it's a better fit for you).

If you get stuck, please share in full:
1) the output of 'emerge -p -uvUD @world';
2) the output of 'emerge -pev @world --backtrack=0';
3) the output of 'grep -rsin python /etc/portage'

Hadn't done the profile upgrade yet.
--depclean got rid of 86 packages. After that I --deselected the blocking packages, all 4 of KDE (and a few others that I don't use anymore). It now starts the emerge -uvUD @world. But after 88 of the 405 packages it blocks with virtualbox-modules. But that is familiar territory. Guess the kernel and virtualbox are out of step. So I'll first have to get the kernel done, then virtualbox in step and then continue the @world.
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to get over the virtualbox issue. Had to remove everything virtualbox related except virtualbox itself. Then update that, then back emerging the rest (extpack, modules) and so on. emerge world could continue for a few hours but now it fails on pipewire (won't say what I think about that).

Quote:
[691/808] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -Isrc/modules/libpipewire-module-client-node.so.p -Isrc/modules -I../pipewire-1.0.7/src/modules -I. -I../pipewire-1.0.7 -Ispa/include -I../pipewire-1.0.7/spa/include -Isrc -I../pipewire-1.0.7/src -fdiagnostics-color=always -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -Wall -Winvalid-pch -Wextra -Wpedantic -std=gnu11 -fvisibility=hidden -fno-strict-aliasing -Werror=suggest-attribute=format -Wsign-compare -Wpointer-arith -Wpointer-sign -Wformat -Wformat-security -Wimplicit-fallthrough -Wmissing-braces -Wtype-limits -Wvariadic-macros -Wmaybe-uninitialized -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-pedantic -Wdeprecated-declarations -Wunused-result -Werror=return-type -D_GNU_SOURCE -DFASTPATH -Werror=implicit-function-declaration -Werror=int-conversion -Werror=old-style-declaration -Werror=old-style-definition -Werror=missing-parameter-type -Werror=strict-prototypes -march=native -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -fPIC -pthread -MD -MQ src/modules/libpipewire-module-client-node.so.p/module-client-node_protocol-native.c.o -MF src/modules/libpipewire-module-client-node.so.p/module-client-node_protocol-native.c.o.d -o src/modules/libpipewire-module-client-node.so.p/module-client-node_protocol-native.c.o -c ../pipewire-1.0.7/src/modules/module-client-node/protocol-native.c
[692/808] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -Isrc/modules/libpipewire-module-protocol-pulse.so.p -Isrc/modules -I../pipewire-1.0.7/src/modules -I. -I../pipewire-1.0.7 -Isrc -I../pipewire-1.0.7/src -Ispa/include -I../pipewire-1.0.7/spa/include -I/usr/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/lib64/dbus-1.0/include -I/usr/include/elogind -fdiagnostics-color=always -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -Wall -Winvalid-pch -Wextra -Wpedantic -std=gnu11 -fvisibility=hidden -fno-strict-aliasing -Werror=suggest-attribute=format -Wsign-compare -Wpointer-arith -Wpointer-sign -Wformat -Wformat-security -Wimplicit-fallthrough -Wmissing-braces -Wtype-limits -Wvariadic-macros -Wmaybe-uninitialized -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-pedantic -Wdeprecated-declarations -Wunused-result -Werror=return-type -D_GNU_SOURCE -DFASTPATH -Werror=implicit-function-declaration -Werror=int-conversion -Werror=old-style-declaration -Werror=old-style-definition -Werror=missing-parameter-type -Werror=strict-prototypes -march=native -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -fPIC -pthread -MD -MQ src/modules/libpipewire-module-protocol-pulse.so.p/module-protocol-pulse_pulse-server.c.o -MF src/modules/libpipewire-module-protocol-pulse.so.p/module-protocol-pulse_pulse-server.c.o.d -o src/modules/libpipewire-module-protocol-pulse.so.p/module-protocol-pulse_pulse-server.c.o -c ../pipewire-1.0.7/src/modules/module-protocol-pulse/pulse-server.c
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.
* ERROR: media-video/pipewire-1.0.7-r1::gentoo failed (compile phase):
* ninja -v -j24 -l0 failed
* Call stack:
* ebuild.sh, line 136: Called src_compile
* environment, line 3679: Called meson-multilib_src_compile
* environment, line 2111: Called multilib-minimal_src_compile
* environment, line 2305: Called multilib_foreach_abi 'multilib-minimal_abi_src_compile'
* environment, line 2572: Called multibuild_foreach_variant '_multilib_multibuild_wrapper' 'multilib-minimal_abi_src_compile'
* environment, line 2265: Called _multibuild_run '_multilib_multibuild_wrapper' 'multilib-minimal_abi_src_compile'
* environment, line 2263: Called _multilib_multibuild_wrapper 'multilib-minimal_abi_src_compile'
* environment, line 621: Called multilib-minimal_abi_src_compile
* environment, line 2299: Called multilib_src_compile
* environment, line 2792: Called meson_src_compile
* environment, line 2178: Called eninja
* environment, line 1498: Called die
* The specific snippet of code:
* "$@" || die -n "${*} failed"
* If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=media-video/pipewire-1.0.7-r1::gentoo'`,
* the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=media-video/pipewire-1.0.7-r1::gentoo'`.
* The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-video/pipewire-1.0.7-r1/temp/build.log'.
* The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-video/pipewire-1.0.7-r1/temp/environment'.
* Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/media-video/pipewire-1.0.7-r1/work/pipewire-1.0.7-abi_x86_64.amd64'
* S: '/var/tmp/portage/media-video/pipewire-1.0.7-r1/work/pipewire-1.0.7'

>>> Failed to emerge media-video/pipewire-1.0.7-r1, Log file:

>>> '/var/tmp/portage/media-video/pipewire-1.0.7-r1/temp/build.log'

The log is here: https://quirinus.one/gentoo/pipewire-1.0.7-r1.log

emerge --info '=media-video/pipewire-1.0.7-r1::gentoo
Quote:
ortage 3.0.63 (python 3.12.3-final-0, default/linux/amd64/17.1/desktop/plasma, gcc-13, glibc-2.39-r6, 6.6.13-gentoo x86_64)
=================================================================
System Settings
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-6.6.13-gentoo-x86_64-AMD_EPYC_7401P_24-Core_Processor-with-glibc2.39
KiB Mem: 65836304 total, 43548716 free
KiB Swap: 2097148 total, 2097148 free
Timestamp of repository gentoo: Sat, 06 Jul 2024 10:30:00 +0000
Head commit of repository gentoo: 35d25f36ce62f15dd1b5d76d40f946692f53a032
sh bash 5.2_p26-r6
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.41 p5) 2.41.0
app-misc/pax-utils: 1.3.7::gentoo
app-shells/bash: 5.2_p26-r6::gentoo
dev-build/autoconf: 2.71-r7::gentoo
dev-build/automake: 1.16.5-r2::gentoo
dev-build/cmake: 3.28.5::gentoo
dev-build/libtool: 2.4.7-r4::gentoo
dev-build/make: 4.4.1-r1::gentoo
dev-build/meson: 1.4.1::gentoo
dev-java/java-config: 2.3.3-r1::gentoo
dev-lang/perl: 5.38.2-r3::gentoo
dev-lang/python: 3.11.9-r1::gentoo, 3.12.3-r1::gentoo
dev-lang/rust: 1.77.1::gentoo
sys-apps/baselayout: 2.15::gentoo
sys-apps/openrc: 0.54.2::gentoo
sys-apps/sandbox: 2.38::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils: 2.41-r5::gentoo, 2.42-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils-config: 5.5::gentoo
sys-devel/clang: 15.0.7-r3::gentoo, 16.0.6::gentoo, 17.0.6::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc: 13.2.1_p20240210::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc-config: 2.11::gentoo
sys-devel/llvm: 15.0.7-r3::gentoo, 16.0.6::gentoo, 17.0.6::gentoo
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 6.6-r1::gentoo (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc: 2.39-r6::gentoo
Repositories:

gentoo
sync-type: rsync
sync-uri: rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
priority: -1000
volatile: False
sync-rsync-verify-jobs: 1
sync-rsync-verify-max-age: 24
sync-rsync-verify-metamanifest: yes
sync-rsync-extra-opts:

crossdev
masters: gentoo
priority: 10
volatile: False

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="@FREE"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/config /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/dconf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo /etc/texmf/language.dat.d /etc/texmf/language.def.d /etc/texmf/updmap.d /etc/texmf/web2c"
CXXFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
DISTDIR="/var/cache/distfiles"
ENV_UNSET="CARGO_HOME DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS DISPLAY GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE GOBIN GOPATH PERL5LIB PERL5OPT PERLPREFIX PERL_CORE PERL_MB_OPT PERL_MM_OPT XAUTHORITY XDG_CACHE_HOME XDG_CONFIG_HOME XDG_DATA_HOME XDG_RUNTIME_DIR XDG_STATE_HOME"
FCFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-docompress binpkg-dostrip binpkg-logs buildpkg-live config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles ipc-sandbox merge-sync merge-wait multilib-strict network-sandbox news parallel-fetch pid-sandbox pkgdir-index-trusted preserve-libs protect-owned qa-unresolved-soname-deps sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync xattr"
FFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org"
LANG="en_US.utf8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
LEX="flex"
MAKEOPTS="-j24"
PKGDIR="/var/cache/binpkgs"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --exclude=/.git"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
SHELL="/bin/bash"
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi activities alsa amd64 audiofile bindist branding bzip2 cairo cdb cdda cdr cli crypt cups dbus declarative dri dts dvd dvdr elogind encode exif ffmpeg fftw flac fortran gdbm gif gimp gpm gtk gui gzip iconv icu imagemagick ipv6 jack jpeg kde kf6compat kwallet ladspa lame lash lcms libnotify libtirpc mad mng mp3 mp4 mpeg multilib ncurses nls ogg opengl openmp pam pango pcre pdf plasma png policykit posix ppds qml qt5 raw readline samba scanner screencast sdl seccomp sound spell split-usr ssl startup-notification subversion svg test-rust threads tiff truetype udev udisks unicode upower usb vorbis vulkan webp widgets wxwidgets x264 xattr xcb xft xine xml xv xvid zip zlib" ABI_X86="64" ADA_TARGET="gcc_12" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_anon authn_dbm authn_file authz_dbm authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="karbon sheets words" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" CPU_FLAGS_X86="aes avx avx2 f16c fma3 mmx mmxext pclmul popcnt sha sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock greis isync itrax mtk3301 ntrip navcom oceanserver oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf skytraq superstar2 tsip tripmate tnt ublox" GRUB_PLATFORMS="efi-64" INPUT_DEVICES="libinput virtualbox" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb text" LUA_SINGLE_TARGET="lua5-1" LUA_TARGETS="lua5-1" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php8-2" POSTGRES_TARGETS="postgres15" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_12" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_12" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby31 ruby32" SANE_BACKENDS="epson" VIDEO_CARDS="nouveau virtualbox" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tarpit sysrq proto logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset: ADDR2LINE, AR, ARFLAGS, AS, ASFLAGS, CC, CCLD, CONFIG_SHELL, CPP, CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, CXX, CXXFILT, ELFEDIT, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, EXTRA_ECONF, F77FLAGS, FC, GCOV, GPROF, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, LD, LFLAGS, LIBTOOL, LINGUAS, MAKE, MAKEFLAGS, NM, OBJCOPY, OBJDUMP, PORTAGE_BINHOST, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PYTHONPATH, RANLIB, READELF, RUSTFLAGS, SIZE, STRINGS, STRIP, YACC, YFLAGS

emerge -pqv '=media-video/pipewire-1.0.7-r1::gentoo'
Quote:
daw ~ # emerge -pqv '=media-video/pipewire-1.0.7-r1::gentoo'
[ebuild U ] media-video/pipewire-1.0.7-r1 [1.0.4] USE="X dbus extra ffmpeg readline ssl -bluetooth -doc -echo-cancel -flatpak -gsettings -gstreamer -ieee1394 -jack-client -jack-sdk -liblc3 -lv2 -man -modemmanager -pipewire-alsa -roc (-selinux) -sound-server (-system-service) -systemd -test -v4l -zeroconf" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)"
[ebuild U ] media-video/wireplumber-0.5.3 [0.4.17-r1] USE="elogind (-system-service) -systemd -test" LUA_SINGLE_TARGET="lua5-4 -lua5-3"

!!! The following installed packages are masked:
- dev-texlive/texlive-basic-2021::gentoo (masked by: OFL license(s))
For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so the desktop has become unusable because of pipewire that I do not use trowing an error. No internetbrowser anymore.

Anybody an idea?
toralf
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With -j24 the last log lines rarely give the needed information. But the log itself shows an error:
Code:
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/13/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: /usr/lib64/samba/libldbsamba-samba4.so: undefined reference to `ldb_msg_element_is_inaccessible@LDB_2.7.2'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
So you could search https://bugs.gentoo.org for a known bug. If unknown then maybe file a new one..
sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try emerge -v1 /usr/lib64/samba/libldbsamba-samba4.so or USE="-ffmpeg" temporarily on pipewire.
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam_ wrote:
Try emerge -v1 /usr/lib64/samba/libldbsamba-samba4.so or USE="-ffmpeg" temporarily on pipewire.

Looks like "USE='-ffmpeg' emerge --update --oneshot pipewire" made it get over it. So far it is 67 packages in the remaining 157. We'll see tomorrow morning if it gets to the end.

Thanks for the help.

But I don't get why pipewire insists on installing emacs... 8O
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the default USE flags here, emerge --pretend --tree --verbose media-video/pipewire does not attempt to install emacs. What do you see that made you think it would?
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
With the default USE flags here, emerge --pretend --tree --verbose media-video/pipewire does not attempt to install emacs. What do you see that made you think it would?

I saw it passing on the screen while running "USE='-ffmpeg' emerge --oneshot pipewire". After that it continued with xemacs. I was very surprised to see an audio package emerge that to be honest. But just that specific emerge ran about 14 packages.

Now I have to make sure that pipewire doesn't actually do something, that is just there to let some packages compile. I have no idea why there is layer upon layer on top of Alsa. After all, all drivers that do the real work still are Alsa. It looks like "they" want to do something "real great" with audio but replacing Alsa with something better is too much hard work where you really have to know what you do. So we just add some cruft on top of it with a new name and some "features" that don't really matter but sound (pun not intended) great.

This weekend I'll try to change profiles. I hope it doesn't turn out as toxic.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: