[SOLVED] USB speaker CD002 is not working suddenly
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hwix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:46 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] USB speaker CD002 is not working suddenly Reply with quote

Just a few days ago after updating my system the external USB speaker that I have (CD002 as the system calls it) has not been outputting audio. I have tested it on another machine with Windows on it and the speaker does in fact work. I tried changing the port my USB speaker was connected to but I still can't get any audio from it.

My .config file:
https://pastebin.com/5YdwL4tt

I hope I don't have to reinstall Gentoo to try and get this working again.

Last edited by hwix on Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
stefantalpalaru
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See what program is hogging it, with "fuser -v /dev/snd/*".
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums.

Reinstalling Gentoo is not required, and is very premature at this stage.

You write that the speaker no longer outputs audio. What happens? Does the program say it is playing audio, but no sound is produced? Does the program report that it cannot play audio? What program(s) have you used to test under Linux? What did you change since it last worked?
pietinger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hwix,

I can see that you have configured your kernel yourself:
Code:
CONFIG_EXPERT=y

:D

I see it is an AMD machine; please check in your "dmesg" if you have a message like "smpboot: ... Processors exceeds NR_CPUS limit of 12"; If yes then change this:
Code:
CONFIG_NR_CPUS=12

(See also in paragraph 1 of: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Pietinger/Tutorials/Manual_Configuring_Kernel_Version_6.6#Part_4_-_My_recommendations )

I see you have almost everything enabled for your sound ... maybe try also:
Code:
# CONFIG_SERIAL_MULTI_INSTANTIATE is not set

(See paragraph 8 of above linked article)

If this does not help we would need also the output of "dmesg" and all informations @Hu already asked for.
hwix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stefantalpalaru wrote:
See what program is hogging it, with "fuser -v /dev/snd/*".

USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
/dev/snd/controlC0: hwix 2710 F.... wireplumber
/dev/snd/controlC1: hwix 2710 F.... wireplumber
/dev/snd/controlC2: hwix 2710 F.... wireplumber
/dev/snd/seq: hwix 2719 F.... pipewire

That is what the system is showing me.
hwix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Welcome to the forums.

Reinstalling Gentoo is not required, and is very premature at this stage.

You write that the speaker no longer outputs audio. What happens? Does the program say it is playing audio, but no sound is produced? Does the program report that it cannot play audio? What program(s) have you used to test under Linux? What did you change since it last worked?

1. Instead of outputting audio to my external USB speaker it send it to my computers internal speaker, I don't want this since the internal speaker quality is poor so I lied to use the external speaker.
2. Yes, Alsamixer tells me that sound is in fact playing through the external USB speaker but it is instead playing it through the computers internal speaker.
3. It does not report that it cannot play audio.
4. I use Alsa + Pipewire + Wireplumber for my audio, I tried testing audio from firefox, mpv, cmus etc but to no avail since the external USB speaker does not work.
5. I didn't tinker with it at all really, I simply updated, upgraded, and removed old packages from my system.

I hope that answers your questions and concerns.
hwix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pietinger wrote:
hwix,

I see it is an AMD machine; please check in your "dmesg" if you have a message like "smpboot: ... Processors exceeds NR_CPUS limit of 12"; If yes then change this:
Code:
CONFIG_NR_CPUS=12

(See also in paragraph 1 of: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Pietinger/Tutorials/Manual_Configuring_Kernel_Version_6.6#Part_4_-_My_recommendations )

I see you have almost everything enabled for your sound ... maybe try also:
Code:
# CONFIG_SERIAL_MULTI_INSTANTIATE is not set

(See paragraph 8 of above linked article)

If this does not help we would need also the output of "dmesg" and all informations @Hu already asked for.

Here is my dmesg output:
https://pastebin.com/7JCpzzms

Also I have enabled CONFIG_SERIAL_MULTI_INSTANTIATE in my .config after you recommended it to me, but the external USB speaker is still not working.
pietinger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all: I think it is not a kernel problem ... IF ... if your problem persists AFTER this change: CONFIG_NR_CPUS=32 because of:
Code:
[    0.000000] DMI: LENOVO 11JKS4GQ00/3190, BIOS M3CKT33A 07/18/2022

[    0.038626] smpboot: 32 Processors exceeds NR_CPUS limit of 12
[    0.038627] smpboot: Allowing 12 CPUs, 0 hotplug CPUs

[    0.249558] smpboot: CPU0: AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE with Radeon Graphics (family: 0x17, model: 0x60, stepping: 0x1)

[    1.195257] ccp 0000:04:00.2: ccp: unable to access the device: you might be running a broken BIOS.

(you have taken "dmesg" before the change)

This is really important; I had this kind of setting with some AMD machines and they all had weird problems (and solved after this change) ... but maybe it is not related to your problem ->

I see your box was recognized:
Code:
[    2.046082] usb 1-1.3: New USB device found, idVendor=e2b7, idProduct=0811, bcdDevice= 1.00
[    2.046639] usb 1-1.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=1
[    2.047137] usb 1-1.3: Product: CD002
[    2.047544] usb 1-1.3: Manufacturer: CD002
[    2.047941] usb 1-1.3: SerialNumber: CD002
[    2.139396] input: CD002 CD002 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:04:00.3/usb1/1-1/1-1.3/1-1.3:1.3/0003:E2B7:0811.0005/input/input8

[    4.334968] usb 1-1.3: 9:1: bogus dB values (-12800/-12700), disabling dB reporting

giving wrong values to the kernel (see more here: https://lore.kernel.org/stable/20210308122718.297797810@linuxfoundation.org/ )

... BUT ... I guess there is a problem in higher layers (pipewire; wireplumber) ... so, I give over to our experts for this.

In the mean time you could check WHICH packages have been deleted with/after your last world update/emerge -c

P.S.: If you have time you might change this (also not related to your problem):
Code:
[   25.535121] warning: `slstatus' uses wireless extensions which will stop working for Wi-Fi 7 hardware; use nl80211

hwix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pietinger wrote:
First of all: I think it is not a kernel problem ... IF ... if your problem persists AFTER this change: CONFIG_NR_CPUS=32 because of:
Code:
[    0.000000] DMI: LENOVO 11JKS4GQ00/3190, BIOS M3CKT33A 07/18/2022

[    0.038626] smpboot: 32 Processors exceeds NR_CPUS limit of 12
[    0.038627] smpboot: Allowing 12 CPUs, 0 hotplug CPUs

[    0.249558] smpboot: CPU0: AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE with Radeon Graphics (family: 0x17, model: 0x60, stepping: 0x1)

[    1.195257] ccp 0000:04:00.2: ccp: unable to access the device: you might be running a broken BIOS.

(you have taken "dmesg" before the change)

This is really important; I had this kind of setting with some AMD machines and they all had weird problems (and solved after this change) ... but maybe it is not related to your problem ->

I see your box was recognized:
Code:
[    2.046082] usb 1-1.3: New USB device found, idVendor=e2b7, idProduct=0811, bcdDevice= 1.00
[    2.046639] usb 1-1.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=1
[    2.047137] usb 1-1.3: Product: CD002
[    2.047544] usb 1-1.3: Manufacturer: CD002
[    2.047941] usb 1-1.3: SerialNumber: CD002
[    2.139396] input: CD002 CD002 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:08.1/0000:04:00.3/usb1/1-1/1-1.3/1-1.3:1.3/0003:E2B7:0811.0005/input/input8

[    4.334968] usb 1-1.3: 9:1: bogus dB values (-12800/-12700), disabling dB reporting

giving wrong values to the kernel (see more here: https://lore.kernel.org/stable/20210308122718.297797810@linuxfoundation.org/ )

... BUT ... I guess there is a problem in higher layers (pipewire; wireplumber) ... so, I give over to our experts for this.

In the mean time you could check WHICH packages have been deleted with/after your last world update/emerge -c

P.S.: If you have time you might change this (also not related to your problem):
Code:
[   25.535121] warning: `slstatus' uses wireless extensions which will stop working for Wi-Fi 7 hardware; use nl80211

Thank you for that reminder, I just fixed the number of cpu's part in my .config which now shows me this in my dmesg:

[ 0.038720] smpboot: Allowing 32 CPUs, 20 hotplug CPUs
(I'm not sure on how to put it in green text)

I guess for the giving wrong values to the kernel part it's a bug somewhere in pipewire/wireplumber which I have to wait for it to get fixed.
As for the packages that were updated I am not sure how I check which ones? I'm newer to Gentoo so I still don't know my ways around the system fully yet.

The commands I used for package upgrades are this:
1. emerge --sync
2. emerge --ask --verbose --update --deep --newuse --with-bdeps=y @world

As for removing old version of packages I used this command:
1. emerge -cav

The slstatus part I can worry about later, it's not something that is really on my radar of issues to deal with as of now.

Thanks for helping me so far!
hwix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: USB speaker CD002 is not working suddenly Reply with quote

hwix wrote:
Just a few days ago after updating my system the external USB speaker that I have (CD002 as the system calls it) has not been outputting audio. I have tested it on another machine with Windows on it and the speaker does in fact work. I tried changing the port my USB speaker was connected to but I still can't get any audio from it.

My .config file:
https://pastebin.com/5YdwL4tt

I hope I don't have to reinstall Gentoo to try and get this working again.

Okay so after tinkering a bit I managed to get sound out of my USB speaker. I did this by uninstalling Pipewire/Wireplumber and installing PulseAudio. I don't know if that counts as the problem being "solved" since it means that there is a problem in the Pipewire/Wireplumber packages upstream. At least me getting sound out of my USB speaker system is a relief!

Thank you guys a lot for trying your best to aid me during this audio crisis I had! :D
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Okay so after tinkering a bit I managed to get sound out of my USB speaker. I did this by uninstalling Pipewire/Wireplumber and installing PulseAudio. I don't know if that counts as the problem being "solved" since it means that there is a problem in the Pipewire/Wireplumber packages upstream. At least me getting sound out of my USB speaker system is a relief!

When using pipewire, wireplumber tries to route your sound to a sensible playback device, but there are ways to confuse it.
It is also possible to set it straight afterwards.
Since your sound was going out the wrong device, there's a good chance simply flagging your USB speaker as the default device (with wpctl) would have been enough for new audio streams to be sent its way.

Either way, glad you found a solution that works for you
hwix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
Quote:

When using pipewire, wireplumber tries to route your sound to a sensible playback device, but there are ways to confuse it.
It is also possible to set it straight afterwards.
Since your sound was going out the wrong device, there's a good chance simply flagging your USB speaker as the default device (with wpctl) would have been enough for new audio streams to be sent its way.

Either way, glad you found a solution that works for you

Thank you for letting me know that, I used commands "pw-cli list-objects" to get a list of all the sound ID's available, and then I looked for the node ID which corresponded to CD002, after that I utilized the command "wpctl set-default ID", restarted my computer and now Pipewire is working with my external USB speaker just like before!

No need for PulseAudio now, Pipewire works fantastically! :D
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great!
Yes, I think set-default is a persistent change. There was no need for reboot, the app only had to reopen its audio stream, which typically happens when it stops producing sound.
A JACK client can also come in handy when you want to maually reroute already existing streams; alternatively pw-link lets you do that from command line. The syntax is easy enough, but gui is easier on eyes.

You're welcome
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: