Bullying in Gentoo Universe
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kenji_Nakajima
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:51 pm    Post subject: Bullying in Gentoo Universe Reply with quote

[size=18] [/size]When I go to r/Gentoo because I have a question, they delete all the relevant log explanations and everything. I mean everything. They just delete it in the next minute. I tried to make it shorter, with more examples, and a male voice, nothing works. They seems to be a policity that r/Gentoo is some kind of clue who belong to the cool kids. It is so sad first couple time happened, I littery cry. I was asking for a help. I even use wgetpaste to post my log and relevant information. I don't know formatl I could ppossibly be.

I just concluded that people on Reddit r/Gentoo are horrible gatekeepers, excluding if you speak the inner language you get in but otherwise, instant deleteand they DO ENOJY IT. never think of all the effort people put into seeking some kind of post.

I was away for Gentoo for a while, and the scene got wrong. It is just awful. Every post is about someone installing it the first time but never gets deleted. I don't understand and I am deeply hurt.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use r/Gentoo and rarely any other subreddit.

As far as I know, r/Gentoo is not an official support channel. The subreddit includes "check out the official support resources" with a link to gentoo.org.

I don't know if it is possible to engage with the Gentoo Council to have them investigate, but chasing after unofficial websites to "make them behave" or close them down may not be practical or even possible.

If you have bad experiences there, the best short term solution would likely be to avoid going there and interacting with them.
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see plenty of normal support happening in r/gentoo and I help people there now and then (not that I use it reddit much, so only rarely), so I have no idea what happened for you.

I see more support questions than people installing it if anything, and things "seem" friendly to me (Edit: not that I know what goes on where I don't see, just sounds surprising -- either way definitely none of that going on the official forums here)

Last edited by Ionen on Thu Jul 11, 2024 8:48 am; edited 2 times in total
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 points from me:
1) different channels operate independently of each other, FGO is not reddit so you're complaining in a wrong place
2) I don't use reddit, so take it with a grain of salt, but its owners have a reputation for encouraging a very heavy-handed moderation within hosted spaces. Make of it what you will.
Let's just say there is a reason I decided against posting anything to stackoverflow, even though they do have a pretty good knowledge base. (Hint! Hint!)
3) What makes you think that being hurt on the internet will get you any sympathy? It's an on-demand medium, you did it to yourself.
If you don't like what you see, just press the magic X in the corner, and puff! problem solved.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
FGO is not reddit so you're complaining in a wrong place
fgo is also yesterday's style forum, not a younger generation's style forum, so many may never interact with fgo. It's not unreasonable to bring up the issue here, but I don't know that much can be done about it. I suppose Council could claim rights on the stylized "g" logo, but that might be about all.
lars_the_bear
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:

If you don't like what you see, just press the magic X in the corner, and puff! problem solved.

Oh God -- I've just read what I want carved on my tombstone :)

I wish I could make my kids understand this. The amount of Internet-related angst I have to endure from them -- it just grinds me down. And them, presumably. Just click the magic X -- yeah.

BR, Lars.
Banana

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bullying in Gentoo Universe Reply with quote

Kenji_Nakajima wrote:
When I go to r/Gentoo because I have a question, they delete all the relevant log explanations and everything. I mean everything. They just delete it in the next minute. I tried to make it shorter, with more examples, and a male voice, nothing works. They seems to be a policity that r/Gentoo is some kind of clue who belong to the cool kids. It is so sad first couple time happened, I littery cry. I was asking for a help. I even use wgetpaste to post my log and relevant information. I don't know formatl I could ppossibly be.

I just concluded that people on Reddit r/Gentoo are horrible gatekeepers, excluding if you speak the inner language you get in but otherwise, instant deleteand they DO ENOJY IT. never think of all the effort people put into seeking some kind of post.

I was away for Gentoo for a while, and the scene got wrong. It is just awful. Every post is about someone installing it the first time but never gets deleted. I don't understand and I am deeply hurt.

Welcome again to the official forums, where the ppl are friendly and sometimes ignorant, too. The friendliness goes both ways. Feel free to ask your questions and you may get answers.

PFL - Portage file list - find which package a file or command belongs to.
My delta-labs.org snippets do expire
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo Universe, what is that?
NichtDerHans
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life, the Universe, and Everything.
Zucca

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2024 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are few Gentoo communities on Lemmy network (if you're into it) like gentoo@reddthat.com.
Maybe those are more into your liking. Or even better yet: ask your questions here.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
stefantalpalaru
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2024 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
As far as I know, r/Gentoo is not an official support channel.

It's controlled by core devs: https://old.reddit.com/r/Gentoo/about/moderators
pietinger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2024 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stefantalpalaru wrote:
pjp wrote:

Public Relations

Please see:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Public_Relations#Unofficial_presence

<=>

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Public_Relations#Official_presence

Support

Please see: https://www.gentoo.org/support/
and also: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Support

Even if questions about Gentoo are answered on unofficial sites, this requires not only the technical understanding to answer the question, but also social skills to paint a positive picture of Gentoo.

We certainly have some developers who also run a private website and report on Gentoo there. However, such a website is not an official medium of Gentoo.

Bugs

Please see: https://bugs.gentoo.org/
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2024 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stefantalpalaru wrote:
pjp wrote:

Quote:
you are not allowed to do that
— access was denied to this resource.

logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2024 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, Reddit is just not a support forum. What is normal and even expected here is at best odd there. Even if the same people were responsible, Reddit is a completely different type of community.

Furthermore, pay attention to the name. Reporter comes from a completely different culture altogether, which makes the nags above completely inappropriate.

Best Regards,
Georgi
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: