Issues connecting to a local NAS
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hysteria
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 4:57 am    Post subject: Issues connecting to a local NAS Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm very new to Gentoo - over the past week or so, whenever I find myself with a bit of free time, I've been slowly making my way through the issues caused by a brand new setup, using openrc instead of systemd (which I am more familiar with), and so on. On the whole, it's been going well, but I have one problem I haven't been able to make any headway on.

I have a NAS on my local network, and I'm trying to connect to it with my Gentoo machine. Normally I do so through KDE's dolphin file explorer - I can simply go:
Code:
smb://[IP-Address]/NAS/
and then I'm in. I get asked for NAS credentials if it's my first time connecting, but otherwise it's entirely over to kwallet. At the moment, this works on my Arch Linux machine.

On my new Gentoo machine, however, I get the following (with real IP addresses, of course), and I'm not sure how to deal with it:
Code:
lp_load_ex: refreshing parameters
added interface wlp7s0 ip=xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx bcast= netmask=ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff::
added interface wlp7s0 ip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx bcast=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask=255.255.255.0
kf.kio.core: Can't communicate with kiod_kpasswdserver (for checkAuthInfo)!
lp_load_ex: refreshing parameters
added interface wlp7s0 ip=xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx bcast= netmask=ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff::
added interface wlp7s0 ip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx bcast=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask=255.255.255.0
kf.kio.core: Can't communicate with kiod_kpasswdserver (for checkAuthInfo)!
kf.kio.core: "Timeout on server\nxxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"

So - kio can't communicate with kiod_kpasswdserver. On an interesting and perhaps related note, I also get this when opening kwalletmanager5:
Code:
Couldn't start kwalletd:  QDBusError("org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildSignaled", "Process org.kde.kwalletd5 received signal 6")
Attempting to create a manual kwallet generates more of the same - so perhaps there's multiple issues going on here...

Some information about my setup:
  • I'm on the openrc desktop profile, on amd64, and keep to stable packages as much as possible;
  • I'm running gentoo-dist-bin at this stage - haven't gotten around to switching to something else yet;
  • I use hyprland, and start it with dbus-run-session. I also have the dbus service started, so dbus I hope should be good and running;
  • I don't run plasma, but I do use a lot of KDE utilities. Given this, I do start polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1 through hyprland's startup execution process. I also took to starting kiod5 here too, and that made some additional errors disappear (the above log is when kiod5 is started);
  • I also run
    Code:
    dbus-update-activation-environment --systemd WAYLAND_DISPLAY XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP
    through this startup process - with the understanding that openrc will just ignore the systemd input. Both WAYLAND_DISPLAY and XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP are set (to wayland-1 and Hyprland respectively);
  • Neither dmesg nor /var/log/messages seem to have any messages about this issue - all I have is the above log, which comes from dolphin itself.

Perhaps most importantly, I have the following packages set up with the following use flags.
  • I have the samba global USE flag set in make.conf;
  • kde-apps/dolphin --> handbook
  • kde-apps/kwalletmanager --> handbook
  • kde-frameworks/kwallet --> gpg man
  • kde-plasma/kwallet-pam --> N/A no flags selected
  • sys-auth/pambase --> elogind nullok passwdqc sha512
  • sys-libs/pam --> filecaps
  • kde-misc/kio-fuse --> N/A no flags selected
  • sys-fs/fuse --> suid
  • sys-fs/fuse-common --> N/A no flags on package
  • kde-apps/kio-extras --> X handbook man samba sftp
  • kde-frameworks/kio --> X acl handbook kwallet
  • kde-misc/kio-fuse --> N/A no flags selected
  • kde-plasma/ksshaskpass --> N/A no flags selected
  • net-fs/samba --> acl client cups pam regedit syslog system-mitkrb5 winbind

Some of these packages may not have been necessary to mention - I have to admit, I'm definitely not 100% on how all these different components work together :P Samba also likely has much too many USE flags on it - you can see I've been tinkering to see what kind of effect it would have.

Unfortunately my Internet searching hasn't managed to dig up anything that could solve this - has anyone here got any ideas about what could fix this?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: