[SOLVED] plymouth --show-splash don t show anything
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gojita02
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 9:56 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] plymouth --show-splash don t show anything Reply with quote

Hello all,

steps was done under X (enlightenment desktop and root user)

I try to install plymouth on my system, and first, want to try some themes

i've emerge plymouth

Code:

emerge --ask sys-boot/plymouth
[ebuild   R    ] sys-boot/plymouth-22.02.122-r1

I follow the step on https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Plymouth in order to choose and select a themes and just try to try the theme
Code:
plymouth-set-default-theme solar; plymouthd; plymouth --show-splash; sleep 5; killall plymouthd

but nothing show up :(

I've also tried the following script (found on another site)
Code:
#!/bin/bash

chk_root() {
   if [ ! $(id -u) -eq 0 ]; then
           echo "Must be root"
           exit
   fi
}

chk_root

DURATION=$1
if [ $# -ne 1 ]; then
   DURATION=5
fi

plymouthd
plymouth --show-splash
for ((I=0; I<$DURATION; I++)); do
   plymouth --update=test$I
   sleep 1;
done
plymouth quit

But nothing show up

Further more, when following the guide and try to regenerate the initramfsm i've the following error:
Code:
# dracut --force
dracut[I]: Executing: /usr/bin/dracut --force
dracut[F]: Can't write to /efi/76627e276356473192787dcefe8db2ca/6.6.32-gentoo-dist: Directory /efi/76627e276356473192787dcefe8db2ca/6.6.32-gentoo-dist does not exist or is not accessible.

Code:

# mount
/dev/nvme0n1p1 on /efi type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,nosymfollow,fmask=0077,dmask=0077,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)

/dev/nvme0n1p3 on / type ext4 (rw,nodev,relatime)
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,size=4096k,nr_inodes=1993520,mode=755,inode64)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,inode64)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
cgroup2 on /sys/fs/cgroup type cgroup2 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,nsdelegate,memory_recursiveprot)
pstore on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
efivarfs on /sys/firmware/efi/efivars type efivarfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
bpf on /sys/fs/bpf type bpf (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,mode=700)
configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,size=3198056k,nr_inodes=819200,mode=755,inode64)
systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=22,pgrp=1,timeout=0,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct,pipe_ino=10451)
hugetlbfs on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,pagesize=2M)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tracefs on /sys/kernel/tracing type tracefs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
systemd-1 on /efi type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=37,pgrp=1,timeout=120,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct,pipe_ino=11658)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,nr_inodes=1048576,inode64)
tmpfs on /run/user/0 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=1599024k,nr_inodes=399756,mode=700,inode64)
/dev/sda1 on /run/media/root/SSD type exfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,iocharset=utf8,errors=remount-ro,uhelper=udisks2)

Do you have any hint please ?

All the step was done with root user

Last edited by Gojita02 on Mon Jul 29, 2024 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
AndrewAmmerlaan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Further more, when following the guide and try to regenerate the initramfsm i've the following error:

How do you usually install the kernel? The easiest way to create a dracut initramfs for your kernel is to enable the "dracut" flag for sys-kernel/installkernel and then re-install the kernel (make install or emerge --config gentoo-kernel(-bin)). Running dracut directly is sometimes troublesome because it will try to auto-detect where to install the generated image (if not specified explicitly) and it gets it wrong often. In your case it is trying and failing to install the initramfs in the layout for systemd-boot.

I think it is normal for plymouth to not do anything if an X session is still running, it would have to rather abruptly take over the screen otherwise which feels like it would be messy.
GPU: Intel Arc A770 16GB & Intel UHD Graphics 630
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32GB DDR4-2400
Gojita02
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've installed my kernel as stated in the Gentoo handbook : https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Kernel
Under section Distribution kernels

Code:
# cat /etc/portage/package.use/installkernel
sys-kernel/installkernel dracut
gojita ~ #

Code:

emerge --ask sys-kernel/gentoo-kernel

I will use the same command once I will have plymouth to show me something on screen ;-)

I also ran the script and performed the step on a termnal without any X session open, and same thing. Nothing happen.
AndrewAmmerlaan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might not do anything until you reboot it with "splash quiet" on the kernel cmdline. I have never tried to "plymouth --show-splash" directly, I might be wrong, but I don't expect this to do anything from an interactive session.

By the way, you don't have to re-compile the whole kernel with "emerge --ask gentoo-kernel", re-install via "emerge --config gentoo-kernel" is enough, this will save you a lot of time.
Gojita02
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Already have this line in /etc/default/grub

Quote:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

but plymouth does not show up ... still having text boot

I then get a working configuration from a previous ubuntu installation on same computer (but kernel6.5 instead of 6.6)

I put the configuration in /etc/portage/savedconfig/sys-kernel/gentoo-kernel

and recompile the kernel with emerge gentoo-kernel.

I've then run grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.conf

But when i reboot, I do not have the newer kernel

uname -a
Linux gojita 6.6.32-gentoo-dist #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sat Jul 6 12:38:32 CEST ...

What is the step I forgot for the new kernel to be take into account on reboot ?
AndrewAmmerlaan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But when I reboot, I do not have the newer kernel

Please show us the output of 'emerge --config ...' as well as the contents of /boot.

Note that plymouth only really works on a systemd system.
Gojita02
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to put here the relevant information, the output of emege --config is very large

Code:

setlocale: unsupported locale setting
setlocale: unsupported locale setting

Configuring pkg...

* Assuming you do not have a separate /boot partition.
 * Assuming you do not have a separate /efi partition.
 * Assuming you do not have a separate /boot/efi partition.
 * Assuming you do not have a separate /boot/EFI partition.
 * Installing the kernel via installkernel ...
Loading /usr/lib/kernel/install.conf…
layout=bls set via /usr/lib/kernel/install.conf
INITRD_GENERATOR (dracut) set via /usr/lib/kernel/install.conf.
UKI_GENERATOR (none) set via /usr/lib/kernel/install.conf.
Loaded /usr/lib/kernel/install.conf.
MACHINE_ID=76627e276356473192787dcefe8db2ca set via /etc/machine-id.
Found cgroup2 on /sys/fs/cgroup/, full unified hierarchy
Found container virtualization none.
Directory "/boot" is not the root of the file system.
Couldn't find an XBOOTLDR partition.
Using EFI System Partition at /efi as $BOOT_ROOT.
Using entry token: 76627e276356473192787dcefe8db2ca
kernel version (6.6.32-gentoo-dist) set via command line.
kernel image file (/usr/src/linux-6.6.32-gentoo-dist/arch/x86/boot/bzImage) set via command line.
Using ENTRY_DIR=/efi/76627e276356473192787dcefe8db2ca/6.6.32-gentoo-dist
mkdir -p /efi/76627e276356473192787dcefe8db2ca/6.6.32-gentoo-dist
Using plugins:
  /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/00-00machineid-directory.install
  /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/10-copy-prebuilt.install
  /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/35-amd-microcode-systemd.install
  /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/50-depmod.install
  /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/50-dracut.install
  /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/51-dracut-rescue.install
  /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/90-compat.install
  /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/90-loaderentry.install
  /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/90-uki-copy.install
Plugin environment:
  LC_COLLATE=C.UTF-8
  KERNEL_INSTALL_VERBOSE=1
  KERNEL_INSTALL_IMAGE_TYPE=pe
  KERNEL_INSTALL_MACHINE_ID=76627e276356473192787dcefe8db2ca
  KERNEL_INSTALL_ENTRY_TOKEN=76627e276356473192787dcefe8db2ca
  KERNEL_INSTALL_BOOT_ROOT=/efi
  KERNEL_INSTALL_LAYOUT=bls
  KERNEL_INSTALL_INITRD_GENERATOR=dracut
  KERNEL_INSTALL_UKI_GENERATOR=none
  KERNEL_INSTALL_STAGING_AREA=/tmp/kernel-install.staging.esTu16
Plugin arguments: add 6.6.32-gentoo-dist /efi/76627e276356473192787dcefe8db2ca/6.6.32-gentoo-dist /usr/src/linux-6.6.32-gentoo-dist/arch/x86/boot/bzImage
Successfully forked off '(sd-exec-strv)' as PID 2748.
About to execute /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/00-00machineid-directory.install add 6.6.32-gentoo-dist /efi/76627e276356473192787dcefe8db2ca/6.6.32-gentoo-dist /usr/src/linux-6.6.32-gentoo-dist/arch/x86/boot/bzImage
Successfully forked off '(direxec)' as PID 2749.
/usr/lib/kernel/install.d/00-00machineid-directory.install succeeded.
About to execute /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/10-copy-prebuilt.install add 6.6.32-gentoo-dist /efi/76627e276356473192787dcefe8db2ca/6.6.32-gentoo-dist /usr/src/linux-6.6.32-gentoo-dist/arch/x86/boot/bzImage
Successfully forked off '(direxec)' as PID 2750.
Copying prebuilt AMD early microcode image to staging area
/usr/lib/kernel/install.d/10-copy-prebuilt.install succeeded.
About to execute /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/35-amd-microcode-systemd.install add 6.6.32-gentoo-dist /efi/76627e276356473192787dcefe8db2ca/6.6.32-gentoo-dist /usr/src/linux-6.6.32-gentoo-dist/arch/x86/boot/bzImage
Successfully forked off '(direxec)' as PID 2753.
initrd_generator=dracut bundles CPU microcode, nothing to do here.
/usr/lib/kernel/install.d/35-amd-microcode-systemd.install succeeded.
About to execute /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/50-depmod.install add 6.6.32-gentoo-dist /efi/76627e276356473192787dcefe8db2ca/6.6.32-gentoo-dist /usr/src/linux-6.6.32-gentoo-dist/arch/x86/boot/bzImage
Successfully forked off '(direxec)' as PID 2754.
+depmod -a 6.6.32-gentoo-dist
/usr/lib/kernel/install.d/50-depmod.install succeeded.
About to execute /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/50-dracut.install add 6.6.32-gentoo-dist /efi/76627e276356473192787dcefe8db2ca/6.6.32-gentoo-dist /usr/src/linux-6.6.32-gentoo-dist/arch/x86/boot/bzImage
Successfully forked off '(direxec)' as PID 2755.
dracut[I]: Executing: /usr/bin/dracut -f --verbose --kernel-image /usr/src/linux-6.6.32-gentoo-dist/arch/x86/boot/bzImage --no-uefi --kver 6.6.32-gentoo-dist /tmp/kernel-install.staging.esTu16/initrd
dracut[I]: Module 'dash' will not be installed, because command 'dash' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'mksh' will not be installed, because command 'mksh' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'systemd-integritysetup' will not be installed, because command '/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-integritysetup' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'systemd-integritysetup' will not be installed, because command '/usr/lib/systemd/system-generators/systemd-integritysetup-generator' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'systemd-pcrphase' will not be installed, because command '/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-pcrphase' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'systemd-pcrphase' will not be installed, because command '/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-pcrextend' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'systemd-veritysetup' will not be installed, because command '/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-veritysetup' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'systemd-veritysetup' will not be installed, because command '/usr/lib/systemd/system-generators/systemd-veritysetup-generator' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'busybox' will not be installed, because command 'busybox' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'dbus-broker' will not be installed, because command 'dbus-broker' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'rngd' will not be installed, because command 'rngd' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'network-legacy' will not be installed, because command 'dhclient' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'network-manager' will not be installed, because command 'NetworkManager' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'lvmmerge' will not be installed, because command 'lvm' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'lvmthinpool-monitor' will not be installed, because command 'lvm' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'btrfs' will not be installed, because command 'btrfs' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'dmraid' will not be installed, because command 'dmraid' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'dmsquash-live-ntfs' will not be installed, because command 'ntfs-3g' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'lvm' will not be installed, because command 'lvm' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'mdraid' will not be installed, because command 'mdadm' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'multipath' will not be installed, because command 'multipath' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'pcsc' will not be installed, because command 'pcscd' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'tpm2-tss' will not be installed, because command 'tpm2' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'cifs' will not be installed, because command 'mount.cifs' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'fcoe' will not be installed, because command 'dcbtool' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'fcoe' will not be installed, because command 'fipvlan' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'fcoe' will not be installed, because command 'lldpad' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'fcoe' will not be installed, because command 'fcoemon' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'fcoe' will not be installed, because command 'fcoeadm' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'fcoe-uefi' will not be installed, because command 'dcbtool' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'fcoe-uefi' will not be installed, because command 'fipvlan' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'fcoe-uefi' will not be installed, because command 'lldpad' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'iscsi' will not be installed, because command 'iscsi-iname' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'iscsi' will not be installed, because command 'iscsiadm' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'iscsi' will not be installed, because command 'iscsid' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'nbd' will not be installed, because command 'nbd-client' could not be found!
dracut[I]: 95nfs: Could not find any command of 'rpcbind portmap'!
dracut[I]: Module 'nvmf' will not be installed, because command 'nvme' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'nvmf' will not be installed, because command 'jq' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'biosdevname' will not be installed, because command 'biosdevname' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'memstrack' will not be installed, because command 'memstrack' could not be found!
dracut[I]: memstrack is not available
dracut[I]: If you need to use rd.memdebug>=4, please install memstrack and procps-ng
dracut[I]: Module 'squash' will not be installed, because command 'mksquashfs' could not be found!
dracut[I]: Module 'squash' will not be installed, because command 'unsquashfs' could not be found!
dracut[I]: *** Including module: systemd ***
dracut[I]: *** Including module: systemd-initrd ***
dracut[I]: *** Including module: modsign ***
dracut[I]: *** Including module: i18n ***
dracut[I]: *** Including module: drm ***
dracut[I]: *** Including module: plymouth ***
dracut[I]: *** Including module: crypt ***
dracut[I]: *** Including module: dm ***
dracut[D]: Skipping udev rule: 64-device-mapper.rules
dracut[D]: Skipping udev rule: 60-persistent-storage-dm.rules
dracut[D]: Skipping udev rule: 55-dm.rules
dracut[I]: *** Including module: kernel-modules ***
dracut[I]: *** Including module: kernel-modules-extra ***
dracut[D]:   kernel-modules-extra: configuration source "/run/depmod.d" does not exist
dracut[D]:   kernel-modules-extra: configuration source "/etc/depmod.d" does not exist
dracut[D]:   kernel-modules-extra: configuration source "/lib/depmod.d" does not exist
dracut[I]: *** Including module: nvdimm ***
dracut[I]: *** Including module: qemu ***
dracut[I]: *** Including module: qemu-net ***
dracut[I]: *** Including module: lunmask ***
dracut[I]: *** Including module: resume ***
dracut[I]: *** Including module: rootfs-block ***
dracut[I]: *** Including module: terminfo ***
dracut[I]: *** Including module: udev-rules ***
dracut[I]: *** Including module: virtiofs ***
dracut[I]: *** Including module: dracut-systemd ***
dracut[I]: *** Including module: usrmount ***
dracut[I]: *** Including module: base ***
dracut[I]: *** Including module: fs-lib ***
dracut[I]: *** Including module: shutdown ***
dracut[I]: *** Including modules done ***
dracut[I]: *** Installing kernel module dependencies ***
dracut[I]: *** Installing kernel module dependencies done ***
dracut[I]: *** Resolving executable dependencies ***
dracut[I]: *** Resolving executable dependencies done ***
dracut[I]: *** Hardlinking files ***
dracut[D]: Mode:                     real
dracut[D]: Method:                   sha256
dracut[D]: Files:                    2858
dracut[D]: Linked:                   188 files
dracut[D]: Compared:                 0 xattrs
dracut[D]: Compared:                 2737 files
dracut[D]: Saved:                    16.65 MiB
dracut[D]: Duration:                 0.038095 seconds
dracut[I]: *** Hardlinking files done ***
dracut[I]: *** Generating early-microcode cpio image ***
dracut[I]: *** Constructing AuthenticAMD.bin ***
dracut[I]: *** Store current command line parameters ***
dracut[I]: *** Stripping files ***
dracut[I]: *** Stripping files done ***
dracut[I]: *** Creating image file '/tmp/kernel-install.staging.esTu16/initrd' ***
dracut[I]: Using auto-determined compression method 'gzip'
dracut[D]: Image: /var/tmp/portage/sys-kernel/gentoo-kernel-6.6.32/temp/dracut.kZrPCZ/initramfs.img: 72M
dracut[D]: ========================================================================
dracut[D]: Early CPIO image
dracut[D]: ========================================================================
dracut[D]: drwxr-xr-x   3 root     root            0 Jul 13 15:48 .
dracut[D]: -rw-r--r--   1 root     root            2 Jul 13 15:48 early_cpio
dracut[D]: drwxr-xr-x   3 root     root            0 Jul 13 15:48 kernel
dracut[D]: drwxr-xr-x   3 root     root            0 Jul 13 15:48 kernel/x86
dracut[D]: drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root            0 Jul 13 15:48 kernel/x86/microcode
dracut[D]: -rw-r--r--   1 root     root        79777 Jul 13 15:48 kernel/x86/microcode/AuthenticAMD.bin
dracut[D]: Version: dracut-060
dracut[D]:
dracut[D]: Arguments:  -f --verbose --kernel-image '/usr/src/linux-6.6.32-gentoo-dist/arch/x86/boot/bzImage' --no-uefi --kver '6.6.32-gentoo-dist'
dracut[D]:
dracut[D]: dracut modules:
dracut[D]: systemd
dracut[D]: systemd-initrd
dracut[D]: modsign
dracut[D]: i18n
dracut[D]: drm
dracut[D]: plymouth
dracut[D]: crypt
dracut[D]: dm
dracut[D]: kernel-modules
dracut[D]: kernel-modules-extra
dracut[D]: nvdimm
dracut[D]: qemu
dracut[D]: qemu-net
dracut[D]: lunmask
dracut[D]: resume
dracut[D]: rootfs-block
dracut[D]: terminfo
dracut[D]: udev-rules
dracut[D]: virtiofs
dracut[D]: drwxr-xr-x  12 root     root            0 Jul 13 15:48 .
dracut[D]: crw-r--r--   1 root     root       5,   1 Jul 13 15:48 dev/console
a lot of entry from /usr
dracut[I]: *** Creating initramfs image file '/tmp/kernel-install.staging.esTu16/initrd' done ***
/usr/lib/kernel/install.d/50-dracut.install succeeded.
About to execute /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/51-dracut-rescue.install add 6.6.32-gentoo-dist /efi/76627e276356473192787dcefe8db2ca/6.6.32-gentoo-dist /usr/src/linux-6.6.32-gentoo-dist/arch/x86/boot/bzImage
Successfully forked off '(direxec)' as PID 13187.
Skipping, 'dracut_rescue_image' not set to 'yes' in any dracut configuration file
/usr/lib/kernel/install.d/51-dracut-rescue.install succeeded.
About to execute /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/90-compat.install add 6.6.32-gentoo-dist /efi/76627e276356473192787dcefe8db2ca/6.6.32-gentoo-dist /usr/src/linux-6.6.32-gentoo-dist/arch/x86/boot/bzImage
Successfully forked off '(direxec)' as PID 13192.
/usr/lib/kernel/install.d/90-compat.install succeeded.
About to execute /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/90-loaderentry.install add 6.6.32-gentoo-dist /efi/76627e276356473192787dcefe8db2ca/6.6.32-gentoo-dist /usr/src/linux-6.6.32-gentoo-dist/arch/x86/boot/bzImage
Successfully forked off '(direxec)' as PID 13193.
Installing /efi/76627e276356473192787dcefe8db2ca/6.6.32-gentoo-dist/microcode-amd
Installing /efi/76627e276356473192787dcefe8db2ca/6.6.32-gentoo-dist/initrd
Creating /efi/loader/entries/76627e276356473192787dcefe8db2ca-6.6.32-gentoo-dist.conf
/usr/lib/kernel/install.d/90-loaderentry.install succeeded.
About to execute /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/90-uki-copy.install add 6.6.32-gentoo-dist /efi/76627e276356473192787dcefe8db2ca/6.6.32-gentoo-dist /usr/src/linux-6.6.32-gentoo-dist/arch/x86/boot/bzImage
Successfully forked off '(direxec)' as PID 13211.
/usr/lib/kernel/install.d/90-uki-copy.install succeeded.
(sd-exec-strv) succeeded.                                                [ ok ]

By contents of /boot, do you means /efi ?

Code:

gojita / # tree /efi/
/efi/
|-- 76627e276356473192787dcefe8db2ca
|   `-- 6.6.32-gentoo-dist
|       |-- initrd
|       |-- linux
|       `-- microcode-amd
|-- EFI
|   |-- BOOT
|   |   `-- BOOTX64.EFI
|   |-- Linux
|   |-- gentoo
|   |   `-- grubx64.efi
|   `-- systemd
|       `-- systemd-bootx64.efi
|-- amd-uc.img
|-- gentoo
|   `-- 6.6.32-gentoo-dist
|       |-- initrd
|       |-- linux
|       `-- microcode-amd
|-- initramfs-6.6.32-gentoo-dist.img
|-- kernel-6.6.32-gentoo-dist
`-- loader
    |-- entries
    |   |-- 76627e276356473192787dcefe8db2ca-6.6.32-gentoo-dist.conf
    |   `-- gentoo-6.6.32-gentoo-dist.conf
    |-- entries.srel
    |-- loader.conf
    `-- random-seed

Code:

cat /etc/plymouth/plymouthd.conf
# Administrator customizations go in this file
#[Daemon]
#Theme=fade-in
[Daemon]
Theme=details
[/code
]
AndrewAmmerlaan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am confused, are you booting with grub or systemd-boot?

You mentioned that you are running 'grub-mkconfig', but your sys-kernel/installkernel is configured for systemd-boot.

Quote:
By contents of /boot, do you means /efi ?

Kernels for grub are installed into /boot (layout=grub), kernels for systemd-boot are installed to /efi (layout=bls).

By the way, I see that you do not have the "dist-kernel" flag enabled for at least sys-kernel/linux-firmware, when using distribution kernels please ensure that this flag is enabled globally.
Gojita02
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2024 7:39 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Plymouth Reply with quote

Hello,

Quote:
I am confused, are you booting with grub or systemd-boot?

Yeah ... i'm confused too :oops:
I read a little more about all of this "boot" option.
I had fist decide to go for Grub boot, but wrongly run a "systemd boot" step.

So, finally, I'm on a systemd boot (formerly known as gummiboot), I've added the "quiet spash" option in
Code:
/efi/loader/entries
# Boot Loader Specification type#1 entry
# File created by /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/90-loaderentry.install (systemd 255)
title      Gentoo Linux
version    6.6.32-gentoo-dist
machine-id 76627e276356473192787dcefe8db2ca
sort-key   gentoo
options    dokeymap looptype=squashfs loop=/image.squashfs cdroot systemd.machine_id=76627e276356473192787dcefe8db2ca quiet splash
linux      /76627e276356473192787dcefe8db2ca/6.6.32-gentoo-dist/linux
initrd     /76627e276356473192787dcefe8db2ca/6.6.32-gentoo-dist/microcode-amd
initrd     /76627e276356473192787dcefe8db2ca/6.6.32-gentoo-dist/initrd

And all was fine.

Thank you for your help
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: