Is the MTP wiki article up to date?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danielittlewood
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Is the MTP wiki article up to date? Reply with quote

I have an android phone, and have had some bad experiences with the MTP article on the wiki https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/MTPfs.

In particular, sys-fs/mtpfs is very buggy for me, with many files not showing up and populated directories appearing blank. I submitted a bug report, but the project seems very inactive, and I am having much more luck with go-mtpfs. I wonder - is this a typical experience, and should the wiki be updated to reflect either that there are multiple implementations with varying support, or to remove mtpfs entirely (if it really is unreliable)?

Of course, it is possible that I'm the only person having difficulty. So I thought I'd ask here to see whether other users are struggling with MTP support in general.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had sys-fs/mtpfs installed and gave up using it because it was unusable. I could transfer, at best, one photo from the phone to my laptop before MTP stopped working. The phone kept prompting me to Accept/Decline connection to the laptop. I unmerged sys-fs/mtpfs and merged sys-fs/simple-mtpfs instead. Much, much better. Not perfect, but I was able to transfer 400+ photos quickly from the phone to the laptop with only a few prompts on the phone to Accept/Decline connection to the laptop.

My blog
Shaorin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use
Code:
sys-fs/jmtpfs
to put files on my phone and remove files. seems work well for me sense i moved 10-30 GB in one go no problem.
wless123
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imho mtp is the worst solution google came up with. It's pretty unreliable, p. e. i need to replug the cable if i create a new file or directory on the phone else i can't see it. On the other hand i had no issues with the file transfer itself.

To use it i had to
1) enable FUSE in kernel
2) emerge gnome-base/gvfs with mtp use flag.

Other solutions are adb or something like a file-(ssh-) server on your phone (with termux or any other app).
r7l
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried to get MTP to work properly multiple times with all sorts of tools. It works good sometimes and it might fail with something the day after. It's not a reliable way to transfer data from phone to PC and also varies from one Android version to the next.

What i am doing currently is using Filezilla FTP client on my PC and a simple FTP server app (primitive ftpd) on my phone. It's pretty straight forward, fast and reliable but requires both devices to be in the same network.
Zucca

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wless123 wrote:
imho mtp is the worst solution google came up with.
The benefit of mtpfs is that, unlike mass storage mount, the same storage doesn't need to be unmounted from the phone(/what device have you). Also I though it was M$ who came up with mtp.
Anyways. I also tried mtpfs. I gave up. It's not even mounting. It just hangs up.
wless123 wrote:
It's pretty unreliable, p. e. i need to replug the cable if i create a new file or directory on the phone else i can't see it.
Uh. I'll go and remove mtpfs right now.
wless123 wrote:
To use it i had to
1) enable FUSE in kernel
2) emerge gnome-base/gvfs with mtp use flag.
Unfortunately this isn't a choice for those who need this to be file manager agnostic. :|
wless123 wrote:
Other solutions are adb or something like a file-(ssh-) server on your phone (with termux or any other app).
adbfs was the best until it wasn't. I don't know what went wrong. But last time i tried it it dropped connections and hang up frequently.

I guess I go with termux+sshfs again... Although I will give jmtpfs a go first.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
Princess Nell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warming up an old thread ...

I've been using gmtp and it's terrible. It is extremely slow, it can take half a minute or more before it does anything, but the copy operations eventually go through.

I've been wondering, and will test that at some point, as I already have syncthing on the phone to sync photos and other data back to the network, would that also work the other way round - anything I put into folder A at this end ends up in folder B on the phone.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warming up this old thread a bit more...

sys-fs/simple-mtpfs stopped working reliably for me so I uninstalled it. I use KDE, so I set the mtp USE flag for kde-apps/kio-extras and re-merged it, and MTP seems to be working OK for me now:

Code:
clevow230ss /home/fitzcarraldo # cat /etc/portage/package.use/kio-extras
kde-apps/kio-extras mtp samba
clevow230ss /home/fitzcarraldo # eix kio-extras
[I] kde-apps/kio-extras
     Available versions:  (5) 22.12.3^t ~23.04.2^t
       {X activities debug +handbook ios +man mtp nfs openexr phonon samba +sftp taglib test}
     Installed versions:  22.12.3(5)^t(08:31:34 05/05/23)(X activities handbook man mtp openexr phonon samba sftp -debug -nfs -taglib -test)
     Homepage:            https://invent.kde.org/network/kio-extras
     Description:         KIO plugins present a filesystem-like view of arbitrary data

My blog
saturnalia0
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me mtpfs was also unusable while simple-mtpfs worked great, as suggested here.

I've updated the wiki page suggesting users who are facing issues try other packages from the list, referencing this thread.
nyyotam
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2024 11:59 am    Post subject: As of now, kde-apps/dolphin-24.05.2 doesn't work with MTP Reply with quote

This is not a major issue for me, as PCManFM works just fine, including with MTP. So for me this is only a minor annoyance.
However, in the previous version of dolphin it all worked. What's happened?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: