HELP from anyone using abcde and cmus!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 1:31 pm    Post subject: HELP from anyone using abcde and cmus! Reply with quote

Wow I've spent the entire morning spinning my wheels on this and have googled more crap that you could imagine. This has me beyond confused:

I haven't had an occasion to rip CDs in a while and hadn't used abcde in quite some time. Old things I've ripped from have ID3 version 1 tags which are working correctly in cmus. However anything I rip now with abcde appears to get only ID3 v2.4 tags.

When I add any of those to cmus, the come up with an artist of "<No Name>". So several questions I've yet to figure out:

a) Is cmus supposed to be able to recognize those?, but more importantly:

b) Can abcde be configured to create ID3 version 1 tags?

Stuff just can't be as bad as this seems. Not getting anywhere with this and have been googling and screwing with this seemingly forever.

Thanks in advance
Tom
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I at least did figure out that I can get ID3 V1 tags by adding this to my ~/.abcde.conf file:
Code:
ID3TAGV=id3v1

Still wondering if cmus should require v1 tags though.

Tom
lars_the_bear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use MP3 much these days, so I don't have anything with an ID3v2.4 tag. But I don't have any difficulty with cmus reading ID3v2.3 tags. I wouldn't want to have to go back to ID3v1.

BR, Lars.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I don't get it at all. I don't see any USE that would affect that either.

Funny you should mention not using mp3 much, because I actually had been thinking about changing abcde to output as flac. Interestingly those not only work fine in cmus, but they pick up the artist name no problem and, as far as I can tell, don't use ID3 tags of any sort.

So I think I'll just stick with that.

Thanks!
Tom
lars_the_bear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tld wrote:

Funny you should mention not using mp3 much, because I actually had been thinking about changing abcde to output as flac. Interestingly those not only work fine in cmus, but they pick up the artist name no problem and, as far as I can tell, don't use ID3 tags of any sort.

Storage is comparatively cheap these days, so I don't see much advantage to using anything other than FLAC. I ripped my entire CD collection (thousands of CDs) into about 2Tb of FLAC. Probably it would have fit into 1Tb as MP3.

With my ageing ears, I can rarely tell the difference between a FLAC CD rip and a high-bitrate MP3 rip; but FLAC is convertible into other formats without further loss of quality, while MP3 is not.

BR, Lars.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: