Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
separate /var on btrfs is it recomendated or not?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st834
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 8:49 am    Post subject: separate /var on btrfs is it recomendated or not? Reply with quote

Hello,

I use Gentoo on btrfs and this question is more theoretical than a description of the problem.

Is it advisable (recommended) or not to use/var in a separate section (in the case of btrfs - subvolume)?

I have read a large number of different manuals about recommendated shemas of disk partitioning. For example, Fedora or Arch indicate that some parts of /var are strongly related to other parts of the file system and it is not recommended to put them in a separate tray. At the same time, nested parts/var, such as/var/www/.. ,/var/tmp/portage can be placed in a separate sub-volume without any problems.

The issues of uneven filling of sections for btrfs are not very relevant. If /var is placed in a separate subvolume, it is excluded from system snapshots. If some parts of /var are related to other elements of the system, then the snapshot will not be complete if /var is placed on a separate partition.

When reading the Gentoo documentation (installation and btrfs), I did not find any restrictions and information about whether Gentoo (maybe it is common for all systems) has the same relationship between /var elements and other parts of the system? Is it really advisable to place/var in a separate sub-volume?

Thanks a lot for any answers
pietinger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: separate /var on btrfs is it recomendated or not? Reply with quote

st834 wrote:
[...] Is it really advisable to place/var in a separate sub-volume?

No. As fedora already correctly said, only subdirectories (e.g. /var/www) should be separated from it. Under Gentoo, for example, the /var/tmp/portage is very often mounted as tmpfs (if enough main memory is available):
Code:
$ mount
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /var/tmp/portage type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,size=25165824k,mode=1775,uid=250,gid=250)

st834
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank so much for answer!

I used to mount /var/tmp/portage as zram with ext4 file system according Gentoo guide.
pietinger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

st834 wrote:
I used to mount /var/tmp/portage as zram with ext4 file system according Gentoo guide.

Yes, also a very good solution. :D
st834
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for approving ! :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: