tee not working as expected
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guyuming
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 1:41 am    Post subject: tee not working as expected Reply with quote

with
Code:
locate .ebuild|grep coreutil|tee

i can see the output of
Code:
locate .ebuild|grep coreutil

but with
Code:
locate .ebuild|grep coreutil | tee |xargs ls -lt

i can only see the output of
Code:
xargs ls -lt
, I expect to see both this and the former part of the code pipeline

and if i write a simple script as follows:
Code:
cat test_tee.sh

#!/bin/bash
while read line; do
     echo $line | cut -n 1
done

and run
Code:
locate .ebuild|grep coreutil | tee |test_tee.sh

i won't see the .ebuild file name found as expected.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you see both? tee is writing to stdout (a pipe) and all zero files you named. A pipeline with | tee | as one of its components is a Useless Use of Tee. If you want tee to write to your terminal, you need to tell it that.
sublogic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
If you want tee to write to your terminal, you need to tell it that.

as in:
Code:
locate .ebuild|grep coreutil | tee /dev/tty |xargs ls -lt
But you'll get interleaved output from the grep and the xargs. It could be garbled beyond comprehension --although with line buffering you should at least get complete lines. For this example it's not too bad. Try it and see.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it would produce slightly different results, OP might be satisfied with removing tee entirely and instead asking xargs for some extra output:
Code:
locate -0 '*coreutil*.ebuild' | xargs -0rt ls -lt
Use of stdbuf could force tee to be line-buffered, but there would still be some risk of interleaving its output with xargs. We would need a description of OP's goal to evaluate other options.
guyuming
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks sublogic and Hu, especially for the /dev/tty. I tried |tee >1| but failed.

As to why i need this, the "locate grep ls" code i used above is just a simplified example.

The actual scenario is: I have a task to improve the trainning dataset for zinnia Chinese character handwrite recognition.

I use
Code:
grep -nH 七 handwriting-zh_Base_Simple_CN.s

to query the trainning data , it return something like:
Code:
handwriting-zh_Base_Simple_CN.s:297:(character (value 七)(width 1000)(height 1000)(strokes ((85 508)(895 338))((465 120)(483 802)(860 800)(905 667))))
handwriting-zh_Base_Simple_CN.s:298:(character (value 七)(width 900)(height 900)(strokes ((187 414)(511 362))((337 206)(344 575)(573 594)(574 540))))

And i use a program (fcitx-handwriting) to generate picture for the trainning data returned, this program output picture filenames
Code:
grep -nH 七 handwriting-zh_Base_Simple_CN.s|fcitx-handwriting -p
/home/guyuming/handwriting-zh_CN_Community/七_3851964929.png
/home/guyuming/handwriting-zh_CN_Community/七_2175465799.png

but i need a one-to-one correspondence between the trainning data line and the picture file, now i can use:
Code:
grep -nH 七 handwriting-zh_Base_Simple_CN.s | tee /dev/tty | fcitx-handwriting -p

although, i still need a little manually counting to establish the one-to-one mapping, especially when the output list is long

before i know this tee /dev/tty skill, i modified the fcitx-handwriting program to print both the inputting trainning data and output filename in a line.
https://gitee.com/guyuming76/handwriting-doc/commit/6ee45dedf6c3c0fee58113e8e576c8d715b4ca59
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2024 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That gitee link appears to be login-restricted, so we cannot see your change.
guyuming
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2024 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
That gitee link appears to be login-restricted, so we cannot see your change.

I had set my gitee repository to public, but i see no setting to anonymous. you can login gitee with github or gitlab account through OAuth i think.

gitee provide the following benefits for me:

1. more stable to visit from China than github
2. It can render picture files in commit. The link i posted above is to show some screenshots.
3. It still support password login. I have to copy the long AcessCode stored somewhere to push to github.

If you still have any difficulty visiting the repository from outside China, please let me know and i will push a mirror to github.

Last edited by guyuming on Fri Jul 19, 2024 3:12 am; edited 1 time in total
guyuming
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2024 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But you'll get interleaved output from the grep and the xargs. It could be garbled beyond comprehension --although with line buffering you should at least get complete lines. For this example it's not too bad. Try it and see.

Hi, sublogic, in my test, all grep output precede all xargs output. I guess that my buffer is large enough.

I see in https://www.man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/pipe.7.html that write to pipe can be blocked if the buffer is full.

but how can i set the buffer to just one line instead of a size or set the pipe to a blocked pipe , to see the interleaving you mentioned.

it would be great if it is one line of trainning data followed by one line of generated picture file name.

The pipeline is implemented in bash as far as i know.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2024 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guyuming wrote:
I had set my gitee repository to public, but i see no setting to anonymous. you can login gitee with github or gitlab account through OAuth i think.
Be aware that not everyone has or wants an account with those organizations, so it will limit who can offer help.
sublogic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2024 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guyuming wrote:
before i know this tee /dev/tty skill, i modified the fcitx-handwriting program to print both the inputting trainning data and output filename in a line.
If you control that program, that is by far the best solution. Dispense with tee altogether.

See the setvbuf(3) man page. Because grep is writing to a pipe, it vomits output whenever its buffer is full. The tee does the same thing on its output pipe, but what it writes to /dev/tty, a terminal, is line buffered so at least it comes out in blocks of complete lines. The final program fcitx-handwriting (unmodified) also vomits output when its buffer is full, but also as blocks of complete lines because its stdout is a terminal. I don't know of any way to control how the two outputs interleave.
guyuming
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@sublogic,

Yes, modifying the output of fcitx-handwriting is the best solution i can find now.

What i had thought was to block the first program in the pipe until ALL programs in the pipe have processed the first line of data and written their output.

But i should have thought about that the first program will unblock once the second program have finished reading. I have not tested this, but i think it should work this way.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: