(bcachefs) / and (tmpfs) /var/tmp/portage some emerges fail
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeIM
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2024 1:30 pm    Post subject: (bcachefs) / and (tmpfs) /var/tmp/portage some emerges fail Reply with quote

I have bchachefs as root fs with compression and compile /var/tmp/portage on tmpfs.

Some packages fails to install with:
Code:
Failed to copy file: _parsed_options=Namespace(group=-1, owner=-1, mode=420, preserve_timestamps=False), source=b'/var/tmp/portage/app-misc/screen-4.9.1-r1/files/screenrc', dest_dir=b'/var/tmp/portage/app-misc/screen-4.9.1-r1/image/etc'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/portage/python3.12/doins.py", line 200, in run
    movefile._copyxattr(source, dest, exclude=self._xattr_exclude)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.12/site-packages/portage/util/movefile.py", line 99, in _copyxattr
    raise OperationNotSupported(
portage.exception.OperationNotSupported: Filesystem containing file '/var/tmp/portage/app-misc/screen-4.9.1-r1/image/etc/screenrc' does not support extended attribute 'bcachefs_effective.compression'

When I umount tmpfs it works well.
sublogic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2024 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only offer guesses, but
Code:
portage.exception.OperationNotSupported: Filesystem containing file '/var/tmp/portage/app-misc/screen-4.9.1-r1/image/etc/screenrc' does not support extended attribute 'bcachefs_effective.compression'
your tmpfs does not support one of your bcachefs' attributes. Why portage is trying to set that attribute when copying from tmpfs to tmpfs is beyond me.

DeIM wrote:
When I umount tmpfs it works well.
Because now you are writing to bcachefs.
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2024 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sublogic wrote:
I can only offer guesses, but
Code:
your tmpfs does not support one of your bcachefs' attributes. Why portage is trying to set that attribute when copying from tmpfs to tmpfs is beyond me.
It's not from tmpfs to tmpfs, it's from bcachefs to tmpfs, the file it's copying is: /var/tmp/portage/app-misc/screen-4.9.1-r1/files/screenrc

And "files/" is going to be a symlink to /var/db/repos/gentoo/app-misc/screen/files.

That aside, haven't tried much but I can't reproduce in my bchacefs VM (test VM I happened to try bcachefs for rootfs in before) if I switch portage's tmpdir to use tmpfs as-is, probably need to set the xattr (I do have compression enabled but filesystem-wide rather than per-directory/file, don't know bcachefs well but assume the latter uses xattrs).

Edit: Presumably, that would solve this https://github.com/gentoo/portage/pull/1346 (pointed out by sam on irc)
Flow__
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2024 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that setting

Code:

PORTAGE_XATTR_EXCLUDE="${PORTAGE_XATTR_EXCLUDE} bachefs.* bcachefs_effective.*"

in /etc/portage/make.conf should also fix this, even without the changes of the PR applied.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: