List ALL cases emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AstroFloyd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 3:51 pm    Post subject: List ALL cases emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy Reply with quote

Is there a way to list all the packages for which the warning/error "emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy" would occur, i.e. all packages for which there is no ebuild for the installed version of that package?

The context is an old laptop I hadn't updated for a while and where I tried to be (ahem) smart and cut some corners... Now I try to update @world, find this message for a single package, update the dependent package, rerun emerge @world and bump into the next case. It would save me a lot of time where portage resolving dependencies if I could just create a list of all these packages instead. I found emerge -ep @world, which seems to remerge my whole system and eix --installed --and --not --installed-from-overlay gentoo --and --not --installed-in-some-overlay, which doesn't seem to do what I want either. emerge -vac @unavailable seems to list a different set of ebuilds...

I find 164 hits for discussions in which the phrase "emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy" occurs, but never in the title, so they seem to be about a specific package and how to solve that particular situation (at least of the hits I checked, which wasn't all of them). My question is about the generic case.
flexibeast
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i might be misunderstanding you, but is the output of `eix -te` what you're after? Specifically, the section following the line "The following installed packages are not in the database"?
AstroFloyd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flexibeast wrote:
i might be misunderstanding you, but is the output of `eix -te` what you're after? Specifically, the section following the line "The following installed packages are not in the database"?

Thanks, but I think this lists packages and package versions in /etc/portage/package.* that no longer exist. I'm looking for installed packages for which an ebuild is no longer present on my system. I just noticed that revdep-rebuild -- -vta does that as well:
Code:
        * Warning: "media-gfx/gphoto2-2.5.27" ebuild not found..

gphoto2-2.5.27 is still installed on my system (but not for much longer I hope), but media-gfx/gphoto2-2.5.28-r1 is currently the only available ebuild in portage. (This may now be the only example left on my system.)
flexibeast
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think this lists packages and package versions in /etc/portage/package.* that no longer exist. I'm looking for installed packages for which an ebuild is no longer present on my system.

It does indeed do what you describe in your first sentence, but as i wrote in my previous message, after that output, it provides a section titled "The following installed packages are not in the database", listing installed packages without an ebuild in the `gentoo` tree. If there aren't any, it has a final line that says:
Code:
The names of all installed packages are in the database.

If you want to check for installed packages without an ebuild in any of the non-`gentoo` repos/overlays that you have enabled, you'd need to add the `-R` option.
mega_flow
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

portage have a command fot this ,I tink the command emerge @unavailable show them
on my system it show gnome-extra/extension-manager . what make sense as the package come from the guru overlay .
with i have not sync to my host , only exist on the buildserver
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: