My gtk2 fork
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stefan11111
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 3:53 pm    Post subject: My gtk2 fork Reply with quote

I will just link to this email I sent to the suckless ml.
https://lists.suckless.org/dev/2407/35657.html
thoughts?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2024 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Gentoo Chat to Unsupported Software.

I skimmed the email. It seems the most important factor would be how they responded to your initial email "6 months ago."

Were they at all interested? Was it dependent on what you could implement, etc?
stefan11111
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:

I skimmed the email. It seems the most important factor would be how they responded to your initial email "6 months ago."

Some readers were interested 6 months ago, and this new email got some more people interested.
with my forum post, I was more interested in seeing what other forum members thought of the project.
Zucca

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite toolkit has to be FLTK. Sadly only few programs use it. Although I don't know if it's themeable (changing colors would be enough for most).
But since GTK is so widely used, a lightweight drop-in replacement is a nice thing to have.

I certainly hope this gains attention, but at the same time I have to be realistic: it requires quite a lot of work to develop and keep up to date.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stefan11111 wrote:
pjp wrote:

Some readers were interested 6 months ago, and this new email got some more people interested.
with my forum post, I was more interested in seeing what other forum members thought of the project.
I thought perhaps you presented it to them to see if anyone there / the group would help maintain it.

I'd only consider using it if it became a significant enough project that it was a viable alternative. In general my main concern would be whether or not any applications would not function as a result. Having to use your "gtk lite" as well as mainstream gtk wouldn't be an improvement.

For example, I'm not particular with gcc or llvm/clang, but I'd prefer only one as opposed to be forced to use both. That's an anti-feature. But I'd also avoid dynamic languages as well as rust. So, that's how valuable my opinion is ;)
stefan11111
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:

I'd only consider using it if it became a significant enough project that it was a viable alternative. In general my main concern would be whether or not any applications would not function as a result. Having to use your "gtk lite" as well as mainstream gtk wouldn't be an improvement.

For example, I'm not particular with gcc or llvm/clang, but I'd prefer only one as opposed to be forced to use both. That's an anti-feature. But I'd also avoid dynamic languages as well as rust. So, that's how valuable my opinion is ;)

My gtk2 fork is meant to be a drop-in replacement, not something to be installed alongside regular gtk2.
As long as an application doesn't use libgail, it should work just fine.
Recompiling should not be necessary, as I made it abi compatible with regular gtk2.
If you've got the time and energy to spare, try building both my gtk2 and regular gtk2 and notice the difference in the compiler output.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a replacement is good and bad. Good for what it aims to achieve, but potentially bad if it diverges, depending on how quickly it can regain compatibility.

I avoid most things not in ::gentoo, especially for important packages. And for important packages, I'd expect a track record as an indicator of what could reasonable be expected for future development / stability.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: