Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

War Within (11.0) prepatch drops today!

Was able to patch, now waiting for 3:00PDT for whether wine will still run it...as well as my old video cards.

Will see if War Within works with my last known working graphics processors:

- Haswell (HD 4400)
- Skylake (HD 520) -- seems to hang in DX12 in dungeons, DX11 seems to work but some things seem drawn/animated wrong.
- ATI R7-250 (GCN1) -- seeing artifacts on some features, only can run DX11
- ATI W2100 (GCN1) -- suspecting similar to R7-250...
- Nvidia GTX660 (though this card is broken... I don't have any good working nvidia cards...)

-----------------

Weird. Before this patch I never had WoW hang (frozen screen) for a long time. However on both the Skylake and R7-250 the screen hangs and I have to close the window and restart WoW. Of course I get kicked from the dungeon. Anyone else seeing this? Because of the two different architectures it probably is a Wine issue.

I'm trying to build Wine 9.13 now, did not have luck running WoW with wine 9.3 to 9.7 ...wonder if this is any better now.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2024 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah WTF.

Anyone run into this: I've had Wow.exe use up 33GiB RAM. My 24GiB and 20GiB machines started swapping!!!
Code:
    PID USER      NI    VIRT    RES   SWAP S nTH  %CPU P vMj   TIME COMMAND     
   3264 user       0   36.0g  21.7g   8.8g S  66  50.2 0  19 175:01 Wow.exe     

This is with 11.0.2 after a while of being logged in...

This is reminiscent of when WoW passed the 2GiB barrier and crashed when it ran out of VM. But this is ridiculous using 33GiB RAM. This is new behavior and hopefully it's not a new memory leak.

Note that WoW:The War Within states even recommended memory is 16GiB and minimum of 8GiB. So this very weird. I see this behavior in both wine8 and wine9 (staging)...

BTW my guess as to what happened is that I was at the boss fights for the prerelease patch and well, there are a lot of people there. Each of those armor textures needed to be loaded. I suspect WoW is not freeing textures not seen recently and probably assuming that swap will handle discarding of textures not needed instead of reloading as needed. Once again depending on OS to handle memory!

---

The War Within fully launched, and performance is about the same as the prepatch. Having frame rate drops in the outside world near Hallowfall as well as some highly active scenery, which is not unexpected for the ancient r7-250.

Seems wine-staging-9.13 works on the machine I was having trouble with 9.3 and 9.7. Finally getting off of wine-staging-8.21 ...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: