error: attempt to read or write outside of partition
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IncognitoBurrito
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2024 5:34 am    Post subject: error: attempt to read or write outside of partition Reply with quote

So I've done this twice now. Initially installed gentoo and everything was fine, then installed the nvidia-drivers and started getting https://ibb.co/L5npxwx right before the grub menu (everything still works fine and loads). So I thought I messed something up and reinstalled grub and initramfs like 100x. Rebuilt again without nvidia drivers this time and reinstalled grub and initramfs and it worked. Went back again and redid, and it showed up again :( Any ideas?
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:05 am    Post subject: how Reply with quote

How are you installing grub, kernel, nvidia-drivers?

Please provide the basic info:

• emerge --info
  • emerge -pv grub nvidia-drivers
  • emerge -pv (your kernel package - gentoo-sources or gentoo-kernel or gentoo-kernel-bin etc)
sitquietly
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: error: attempt to read or write outside of partition Reply with quote

IncognitoBurrito wrote:
... Any ideas?

I had this error message show up on my systems recently to great frustration because like you I thought something had corrupted my partition table or boot code. I saw a mention somewhere (?) that this was caused by recent update of xfs filesystem -- I switched my next installation to ext4 and there was no longer any error.

I sure would appreciate any confirmation on the cause of the r/w outside partition error. Is xfs ok? For now out of caution I avoid xfs (generally using btrfs).
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thought - based on the comments above, it appears the problem occurs very early in GRUB processing, and might be related to the choice of root filesystem. I've been hit by GRUB''s f2fs module not being able to read filesystems created with extra attributes. Perhaps the xfs problem is similarly a bug in GRUB's xfs module. That said, I've no idea how nvidia-drivers gets involved.
IncognitoBurrito
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: how Reply with quote

kimchi_sg wrote:
How are you installing grub, kernel, nvidia-drivers?

I basically just followed the handbook step for step.

Installing kernel:
set package use sys-kernel/installkernel dracut
emerge --ask sys-kernel/gentoo-kernel

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/efi --removable // had to use removable for motherboard
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

// at first used nouvea driver then decided to isntall nvidia and followed https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NVIDIA/nvidia-drivers

set USE="dist-kernel"
also set VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"

then did a emerge --ask --update --deep --newuse --verbose @world

I wasn't sure if I needed to but I emerged x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers

I missed adding the dbus step so I then reran the above steps to redo grub

Everything works fine currently, and I can see it's loaded, just those pre grub boot errors.

https://pastebin.com/x7e92x7r -- emerge info
https://pastebin.com/QKLc6tf6 -- emerge -pv grub nvidia-drivers
https://pastebin.com/LRwgce5A -- emerge -pv gentoo-kernel

Let me know if I did anything wrong, very new to gentoo outside of the one install I did back in about 2004 I think.

Last edited by IncognitoBurrito on Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
IncognitoBurrito
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: error: attempt to read or write outside of partition Reply with quote

sitquietly wrote:
IncognitoBurrito wrote:
... Any ideas?

I had this error message show up on my systems recently to great frustration because like you I thought something had corrupted my partition table or boot code. I saw a mention somewhere (?) that this was caused by recent update of xfs filesystem -- I switched my next installation to ext4 and there was no longer any error.

I sure would appreciate any confirmation on the cause of the r/w outside partition error. Is xfs ok? For now out of caution I avoid xfs (generally using btrfs).

Goverp wrote:
A thought - based on the comments above, it appears the problem occurs very early in GRUB processing, and might be related to the choice of root filesystem. I've been hit by GRUB''s f2fs module not being able to read filesystems created with extra attributes. Perhaps the xfs problem is similarly a bug in GRUB's xfs module. That said, I've no idea how nvidia-drivers gets involved.

This is defintely something I can try out, I'll do a clean reinstall with ext4 or btrfs and see if things change. What is weird is that it works on first kernel? maybe the recompile with new use flags has something to do with it and it's not related to nvidia and just the recompile and the FS. Just speculating, but definitely is something I can try, thanks for the ideas.
lars_the_bear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I see this screen-full of error messages on Gentoo installations on VirtualBox -- but I don't have it on real hardware. I don't have any NVIDIA stuff on VirtualBox, so far as I know.

Whatever the explanation, it's not stopping the machine from booting, so (with some discomfort) I'm ignoring it.

BR, Lars.
IncognitoBurrito
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just reinstalled using btrfs and it seems like my issue has gone away, so maybe it is a bug in xfs.
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IncognitoBurrito wrote:
Well, I just reinstalled using btrfs and it seems like my issue has gone away, so maybe it is a bug in xfs.

Not necessarily xfs, more likely the GRUB xfs module. GRUB has to have modules to read all the filesystems it supports. It can't use say the Linux ones, as there's no Linux kernel available when GRUB is running, so the GRUB developers have to write their own ones from scratch.
IncognitoBurrito
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
IncognitoBurrito wrote:

Not necessarily xfs, more likely the GRUB xfs module. GRUB has to have modules to read all the filesystems it supports. It can't use say the Linux ones, as there's no Linux kernel available when GRUB is running, so the GRUB developers have to write their own ones from scratch.

Makes sense, thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: