[Worked around] Minimal USB: no touchpad during install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NP_complete
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2024 3:32 am    Post subject: [Worked around] Minimal USB: no touchpad during install Reply with quote

This is a new, completely OS-free, EFI-only system based on Coreboot. During the installation process, the gpm is apparently running, but the mouse is not showing up. Restarting gpm brings up the message
Quote:
Not Loading APM Bios support

I tried loading mousedev manually - no result. Any help?

Many thanks.

Last edited by NP_complete on Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2024 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make it easier on yourself and boot from one of the popular live-usbs (doesn't have to be Gentoo-based) and do the Gentoo install in a command-line window.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
NP_complete
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@figueroa, thanks a lot for replying. As you suggested, I tried LiveUSB out for the first time. Good news is: I got the mouse cursor this time around. Bad news is: I did not get KDE, as promised, because the system fell back on text-only mode immediately. Worse, the touchpad buttons are still not working: I can select text but pressing the right button doesn't paste it. Good news is: I plugged an external USB mouse, and everything worked even with minimal USB.

Using an external mouse is a trivial solution, but I couldn't imagine this would be needed after using minimal install for many years. I couldn't imagine that a touchpad may not be supported.
pietinger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NP_complete wrote:
[...] Bad news is: I did not get KDE, as promised, because the system fell back on text-only mode immediately. Worse, the touchpad buttons are still not working: I can select text but pressing the right button doesn't paste it. [...]

If you can't initialise the graphics, then the touchpad is the least of your worries. Normally our GentooLiveCD can initialise almost any graphics card correctly. Before you install Gentoo, I strongly recommend a second test: Boot with the latest UbuntuLiveCD and check if at least Ubuntu is able to start a graphical user interface. If this is also not the case, I see two possible causes:
1. the graphics are defective, or 2. Linux cannot cope with the Coreboot installed here.

(I am writing this recommendation to avoid disappointment after installing Gentoo).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: