Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Is there a non-systemd alternative to systemd-utils udev?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2024 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elbci wrote:
@GDH-gentoo requested link (with same username, I laughed posting, hope y do reading ;)
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/superboxon-%27unknown%27-distro-slackware-without-elogind-4175736666/page3.html

I'm disappointed, there are no bannings there, no threats, no blood :P All I see is a discussion about a dead Slackware derivative, that turned into a discussion about Slackware replacing ConsoleKit2 with elogind because, apparently, stuff just didn't work. And some mention of "angry grandpas" at most. The bit about GRU's social engineering drill did make me laugh, though.
As a packager I just don't want things to get messier with weird build systems and multiple toolchains requirements though :)
Zucca

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running my systemd without systemd-logind and elogind for quite some time now.
I use seatd.

There was something that didn't fit me with elogind, so I gev seatd a change. So far so good.

Maybe someday I'll try mdev...
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lars_the_bear wrote:
GDH-gentoo wrote:

In the udev part of the code?

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/main/src/udev/udevadm-util.c, line 25, for example.

This in particular is used for finding the pathname in the sysfs of a device specified by its corresponding device unit name in udevadm commands that allow it (such as udevadm info or udevadm trigger). In that case, the program has to ask systemd for the pathname using its D-Bus interface.

On a non-systemd computer there won't be any device units, of course, or units of any kind for that matter, so specifying a (meaningless) unit name AFAICS should just fail gracefully with a "Failed to open the device" error.

This particular code is therefore harmless in my opinion.
As a packager I just don't want things to get messier with weird build systems and multiple toolchains requirements though :)
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zucca wrote:
I've been running my systemd without systemd-logind and elogind for quite some time now.
I use seatd.

I was thinking of mentioning it, but forgot.

But in my opinion the issue more like one of convenience. People don't want to give up convenience, rather complain.

After all everybody who doesn't like where Linux is going can take matters in their own hands and at least package a distribution the pre-seat management way. It wasn't that hard to have to run startx manually, after all. Neither to have to write X configuration files and mount removable media by hand.

Gosh, you can even browse this forum with lynx if you don't want to deal with X configuration and graphics drivers! Fb console is so much nicer nowadays you can spend all your time in it.

Best Regards,
Georgi
Zucca

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zucca wrote:
I use seatd.
I meant of course: I've been running my system...
Silly typo.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
lars_the_bear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2024 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
It wasn't that hard to have to run startx manually, after all. Neither to have to write X configuration files and mount removable media by hand.

It wasn't, and it still isn't. It's just a bit more convenient to have something do these things automatically. For me, personally, it's convenient to run udevd without systemd. I don't think it's terribly unreasonable to ask what might happen if/when that becomes impossible.

If the answer is 'tough -- you'll have to sort it out yourself', then one day I might have to give serious thought to doing that. I can't imagine it will be easy, but I've done plenty of difficult things over the years.

I just thought it would be good to know whether anybody else saw a potential problem here, and whether there were already any contingency plans in place. It seems that there might be, which I find encouraging.

BR, Lars.
eschwartz
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2024 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:

I was thinking of mentioning it, but forgot.

But in my opinion the issue more like one of convenience. People don't want to give up convenience, rather complain.

After all everybody who doesn't like where Linux is going can take matters in their own hands and at least package a distribution the pre-seat management way. It wasn't that hard to have to run startx manually, after all. Neither to have to write X configuration files and mount removable media by hand.

Gosh, you can even browse this forum with lynx if you don't want to deal with X configuration and graphics drivers! Fb console is so much nicer nowadays you can spend all your time in it.

Best Regards,
Georgi

I don't run startx manually -- I run https://github.com/Earnestly/sx/ manually because startx is an elaborate pile of junk with a bad API and doesn't even respect XDG_CONFIG_HOME. :D
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2024 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eschwartz wrote:

I don't run startx manually -- I run https://github.com/Earnestly/sx/ manually because startx is an elaborate pile of junk with a bad API and doesn't even respect XDG_CONFIG_HOME. :D

Forgive me for not having done that for nearly two decades and not knowing its better alternatives :)

Best Regards,
Georgi
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: