Anker USB-C 2.5GbE Ethernet Adapter issues
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexbuell
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2024 7:19 pm    Post subject: Anker USB-C 2.5GbE Ethernet Adapter issues Reply with quote

Hi chaps

I have a HP ZBook 15 G6 here, all fully up to date with BIOS, running 6.9.2 and all up to date. I recently upgraded my network to 2.5GbE, and having a strange issue with the Anker USB-C 2.5GbE adapter with this laptop.

If I plug the adapter in, it comes up but network does not work at all.
It only works reliably, IF I unplug my laptop's power supply!

Plug the power supply back in, network stops working.
Unplug the power supply, network starts working. 8O

Has anyone had a issue like this?! Very strange.

I can't run the laptop without the power supply for too long. I need to have power and networking!

Linux - the best text adventure game ever.
alexbuell
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some experiments.

I found that if I force the Anker USB-C 2.5GbE adapter to 1000Mbits, it works 100% with the laptop power supply plugged in.

So for now if I need 2.5Gbps to transfer files, I unplug the laptop power supply and adjust to 2500Mbits. I just have to be careful not to let the battery run out before the transfers are done.

Temporary solution until I figure out what's going on.

Ideas would be useful.

I tested it and it is getting 2.53Gbits for a test 10GB file, which is spot on. I plan to test more with larger files in the morning.

Banana

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2024 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds more like a hardware problem. If you can boot into a different distro (live USB image) and test it there, you could rule out the hardware problem

Check the manual of the laptop. Maybe a combination of too many usb-c power hungry devices is a problem. Or maybe only specific functionality is available for each USB-C connector.

PFL - Portage file list - find which package a file or command belongs to.
My delta-labs.org snippets do expire
pcmaster
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2024 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to connect the Anker adapter in other USB-c port.

If you have one, try another power supply.

May be an interference (EMI) issue, try changing the Ethernet cable (use cat 6). Also try to put a ferrite in the cables, this helps to avoid interferences.

Or may be in 2,5 Gb mode the Anker adaptow drops more power, and the usb port is unable to manage this when charging. Try using a powered USB-C HUB.

Also try to test the Anker adapter in other computer. If it has the same problem, may be a hardware failure of the adapter.

If you are unable to solve this, contact with Anker or HP service support.
alexbuell
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2024 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banana wrote:
This sounds more like a hardware problem. If you can boot into a different distro (live USB image) and test it there, you could rule out the hardware problem

Check the manual of the laptop. Maybe a combination of too many usb-c power hungry devices is a problem. Or maybe only specific functionality is available for each USB-C connector.

I've ruled that out, I tested under Windows and the same issue persists. So it is probably an hardware issue. Other poster has suggested 2.5Gbit/s mode might draw more power than the port can supply.

alexbuell
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2024 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcmaster wrote:
If you have one, try another power supply.

I notice the power supply that came with this laptop is not the HP branded one, just an no-name supply but I checked its power requirements against the HP branded one and they appear to be identical. A branded HP one is GBP £50!
pcmaster wrote:
May be an interference (EMI) issue, try changing the Ethernet cable (use cat 6). Also try to put a ferrite in the cables, this helps to avoid interferences.

I've tried two cables, and I have tested in 2.5Gbit/s mode with power lead unplugged, there are no drop outs and spot on at 2.53Gbit/s using a large 10GB 4k mkv file.
pcmaster wrote:
Or may be in 2,5 Gb mode the Anker adaptow drops more power, and the usb port is unable to manage this when charging. Try using a powered USB-C HUB.

I think this explanation is the most likely one, but a powered USB-C hub with usb-c ports are like hen's teeth. :( And the ones I can find are overkill and expensive at GBP £50+. Recommendations are welcome.

pcmaster
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2024 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find the maintenance and service guide at http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06422403.pdf

In page 126, it says that a USB device not recognized may be caused by USB devices do not have the latest software drivers, port insufficient power, or not compliant

In page 9, is says that the USB SuperSpeed port with HP Sleep and Charge is the port number 3 in the left side. The others are SuperSpeed without charge. Try using this port.
alexbuell
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2024 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcmaster wrote:
You can find the maintenance and service guide at http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06422403.pdf

In page 126, it says that a USB device not recognized may be caused by USB devices do not have the latest software drivers, port insufficient power, or not compliant

In page 9, is says that the USB SuperSpeed port with HP Sleep and Charge is the port number 3 in the left side. The others are SuperSpeed without charge. Try using this port.

Yes, I noticed that. But the 2.5GbE USB adapter is USB-C. I'd have tried that port if it wasn't USB-C. But thanks for trying.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: