View previous topic :: View next topic  
bstaletic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2024 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past whenever I have tried to do
Code:
FEATURES=keepwork emerge firefox
after an interrupted build (that laptop was prone to overheating), the build promptly failed soon after.
Maybe that's just old firefox. Maybe it's overheating triggering shutdowns at unlucky moments.
So @Hu has a point, but also that's the only package I have ever encountered that could not resume a build.
Then again, I'm running a pretty minimal system. Your mileage may vary.
rzdndr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2024 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bstaletic wrote:
Code:
after an interrupted build (that laptop was prone to overheating), the build promptly failed soon after.
Maybe that's just old firefox. Maybe it's overheating triggering shutdowns at unlucky moments.
So @Hu has a point, but also that's the only package I have ever encountered that could not resume a build.

Did FEATURES=keepwork emerge <package> resume the build for other packages which you have aborted?
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2024 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rzdndr wrote:
bstaletic wrote:
Code:

Did FEATURES=keepwork emerge <package> resume the build for other packages which you have aborted?

I have given you a proven way which others have confirmed works in many cases. Is there a particular reason you continue asking those questions? Weren't we clear enough? I've used that for chromium. It had that caveat that after terminated build EPYTHON was not set so I had to delete .setuped from I think /var/tmp/portage/category/package/work directory so that emerge would set it again. I don't know if that's still the case, I don't use chromium anymore.

Best Regards,
Georgi
rzdndr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2024 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
rzdndr wrote:
bstaletic wrote:
Code:

I have given you a proven way which others have confirmed works in many cases. Is there a particular reason you continue asking those questions? Weren't we clear enough? I've used that for chromium. It had that caveat that after terminated build EPYTHON was not set so I had to delete .setuped from I think /var/tmp/portage/category/package/work directory so that emerge would set it again. I don't know if that's still the case, I don't use chromium anymore.

Best Regards,
Georgi

I thank you for your help. But I do not understand why my asking was so offending or annoying. I apologize for any inconvenience that I might have caused.
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2024 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rzdndr wrote:
But I do not understand why my asking was so offending or annoying.

I just get the feeling you're looking for the answer of another question. Usually when somebody asks for solution and they get the answer they move on with their stuff. You on the other hand keep asking questions and you don't even seem to try the solution you've been offered. Usually people who look for solution are also looking to use it.

So maybe it would help you take a step back and explain why you want to do it first place.

EDIT: maybe your other thread kind of explained your situation. I believe you were running the ebuild command and were anxious to try the other solution.

Best Regards,
Georgi

Last edited by logrusx on Wed Jul 31, 2024 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2024 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Asking questions is not.
Ignoring apparently good answers is
rzdndr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2024 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
Quote:
Asking questions is not.
Ignoring apparently good answers is

I am new to gentoo, as you might guess.

But I was not ignoring good answers. I was just asking someone else based on their answer. They were telling that the build failed. So from that answer I got the impression that it might not work. So I wanted to confirm if on another package merge, they did see a build that merged successfully with keepwork. Maybe I misunderstood the answer, and I am sorry for that on my part.

So with all due respect, I do understand at what point was I ignoring good answers. If I came across as ignoring good answers, believe me I am not. And I appreciate all the answers that I am getting.

And I thank you and all the other people that have answered my questions.

Regards
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2024 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rzdndr wrote:
I got the impression that it might not work.

Generally such hacks are not encouraged, at least by developers, because that means more support from their side. Yes, it might not work, but I haven't had such a case so far. I had broken builds, but that might not have been a direct consequence of terminating the ebuild. I've never had it consistently failing. I think I've resumed libreoffice, chromium for sure, maybe clang/llvm, I'm not sure.

It's not encouraged but you may use it on your own. Back when I used it I either had to wait my old and tired computer to build for days, not being able to use it or I had to accept the fact resuming an ebuild may not work. It worked most of the time.

BTW there should be a binary package for libreoffice. Are you using the binhost? I'm dropping the wiki page just to avoid the need to post another replay with it:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_Binary_Host_Quickstart

And also x86_64-v3 binhost: https://www.gentoo.org/news/2024/02/04/x86-64-v3.html

Best Regards,
Georgi
rzdndr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2024 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
rzdndr wrote:
I got the impression that it might not work.

Generally such hacks are not encouraged, at least by developers, because that means more support from their side. Yes, it might not work, but I haven't had such a case so far. I had broken builds, but that might not have been a direct consequence of terminating the ebuild. I've never had it consistently failing. I think I've resumed libreoffice, chromium for sure, maybe clang/llvm, I'm not sure.

It's not encouraged but you may use it on your own. Back when I used it I either had to wait my old and tired computer to build for days, not being able to use it or I had to accept the fact resuming an ebuild may not work. It worked most of the time.

BTW there should be a binary package for libreoffice. Are you using the binhost? I'm dropping the wiki page just to avoid the need to post another replay with it:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_Binary_Host_Quickstart

And also x86_64-v3 binhost: https://www.gentoo.org/news/2024/02/04/x86-64-v3.html

Best Regards,
Georgi

Yes I am using binhost I guess. I have been able to install firefox-bin.

I just wanted to experiment first hand how to resume an aborted build. I build libreoffice for 2-3 hours probably for two days, just to see. The libreoffice build was resumed with ebuild. Another test I will be doing with keepwork. But not at the moment.

Thank you very much.

Regards
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2024 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rzdndr wrote:

Just to clarify, firefox-bin is not a binary package. It's an ebuild that downloads and installs components from the official build, but doesn't build it on your computer neither it's been built by portage. A binary package is one that contains the contents that should be written on your installation's filesystem with some metadata. Those are produced by an actual portage build from a source based ebuild.

p.s. there's libreoffice-bin as well but it looks like it may soon be discontinued. At leas it's not updated to python 3.11 and is built agains boost I think 1.83 which is already incompatible with current packages.

Best Regards,
Georgi
rzdndr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2024 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
rzdndr wrote:

Just to clarify, firefox-bin is not a binary package. It's an ebuild that downloads and installs components from the official build, but doesn't build it on your computer neither it's been built by portage. A binary package is one that contains the contents that should be written on your installation's filesystem with some metadata. Those are produced by an actual portage build from a source based ebuild.

p.s. there's libreoffice-bin as well but it looks like it may soon be discontinued. At leas it's not updated to python 3.11 and is built agains boost I think 1.83 which is already incompatible with current packages.

Best Regards,
Georgi

Hmm. Then I will have to read about that. I might not have configured it correctly.
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2024 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify one more thing. To instruct portage to use a configured binrepo you need to add --getbinpkg to your command. By default it won't use it.

Best Regards,
Georgi
rzdndr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2024 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
To clarify one more thing. To instruct portage to use a configured binrepo you need to add --getbinpkg to your command. By default it won't use it.

Best Regards,
Georgi

Oh. I was thinking that some configuration must be changed. Will check the configuration too, maybe I did miss something in the config, not sure. I have noted that.

New to gentoo's way of doing things.

But from the speed libreoffice is opening, it was a surprise the first time I saw it :) Good thing that I compiled that, but with some problems (new with gentoo as I said).
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2024 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rzdndr wrote:

That's alright. Gentoo learning curve is very steep but you learn fast as I see. Also at one point on you don't really need to do much.

rzdndr wrote:
But from the speed libreoffice is opening, it was a surprise the first time I saw it :) Good thing that I compiled that, but with some problems (new with gentoo as I said).

With the x86_64-v3 packages there should not really be a difference in terms of CPU optimization. It's very close to almost all current CPU's and the parts that are not included like AVX512 aren't relevant with productivity apps. The speed should be attributed to something else.

Best Regards,
Georgi
rzdndr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2024 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
rzdndr wrote:

That's alright. Gentoo learning curve is very steep but you learn fast as I see. Also at one point on you don't really need to do much.

The first two days was installing the system, and getting all the packages that I had in my other repo to install. After that, it will be a learning process.

logrusx wrote:
rzdndr wrote:

With the x86_64-v3 packages there should not really be a difference in terms of CPU optimization. It's very close to almost all current CPU's and the parts that are not included like AVX512 aren't relevant with productivity apps. The speed should be attributed to something else.

Best Regards,
Georgi

I am suspecting maybe it has something to do with the way I installed libreoffice. But the probability of that is really low, otherwise it would have show problems by now. Or my other system is on a 5400RPM drive while gentoo is on a 7200 RPM drive. That might speed things up a little, but how much I am not sure really. All these are speculations on my part.
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2024 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rzdndr wrote:
Or my other system is on a 5400RPM drive while gentoo is on a 7200 RPM drive. That might speed things up a little, but how much I am not sure really. All these are speculations on my part.

Well then this looks like old computer to me. Both of them. What are their CPU's? We should consider if the binary packages on the binhost are compatible. The x86_64 is almost certainly compatible, but x86_64-v3 may not be for older CPU's.

Best Regards,
Georgi
Zucca

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2024 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
What are their CPU's? We should consider if the binary packages on the binhost are compatible. The x86_64 is almost certainly compatible, but x86_64-v3 may not be for older CPU's.

@rzdndr, can you paste the output of lscpu -command?
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2024 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zucca wrote:
logrusx wrote:
What are their CPU's? We should consider if the binary packages on the binhost are compatible. The x86_64 is almost certainly compatible, but x86_64-v3 may not be for older CPU's.

@rzdndr, can you paste the output of lscpu -command?

lscpu says it doesn't recognize -command, but I think

Code:
ld.so --help

would be more appropriate. It directly reports ISA level.

Best Regards,
Georgi
rzdndr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2024 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
rzdndr wrote:
Or my other system is on a 5400RPM drive while gentoo is on a 7200 RPM drive. That might speed things up a little, but how much I am not sure really. All these are speculations on my part.

Well then this looks like old computer to me. Both of them. What are their CPU's? We should consider if the binary packages on the binhost are compatible. The x86_64 is almost certainly compatible, but x86_64-v3 may not be for older CPU's.

Best Regards,
Georgi

It will be compatible with x86_64, I am sure of that. Do not know about x86_64-v3 though...

The command is lscpu, without arguments

Code:

Architecture:                         x86_64
CPU op-mode(s):                       32-bit, 64-bit
Address sizes:                        48 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
Byte Order:                           Little Endian
CPU(s):                               4
On-line CPU(s) list:                  0-3
Vendor ID:                            AuthenticAMD
Model name:                           AMD FX-7500 Radeon R7, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G
CPU family:                           21
Model:                                48
Thread(s) per core:                   2
Core(s) per socket:                   2
Socket(s):                            1
Stepping:                             1
Frequency boost:                      enabled
CPU(s) scaling MHz:                   52%
CPU max MHz:                          2100.0000
CPU min MHz:                          1100.0000
BogoMIPS:                             4191.96
Flags:                                fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc cpuid extd_apicid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq monitor ssse3 fma cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt aes xsave avx f16c lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs xop skinit wdt lwp fma4 tce nodeid_msr tbm topoext perfctr_core perfctr_nb bpext ptsc cpb hw_pstate ssbd vmmcall fsgsbase bmi1 xsaveopt arat npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save tsc_scale vmcb_clean flushbyasid decodeassists pausefilter pfthreshold overflow_recov
Virtualization:                       AMD-V
L1d cache:                            64 KiB (4 instances)
L1i cache:                            192 KiB (2 instances)
L2 cache:                             4 MiB (2 instances)
NUMA node(s):                         1
NUMA node0 CPU(s):                    0-3
Vulnerability Gather data sampling:   Not affected
Vulnerability Itlb multihit:          Not affected
Vulnerability L1tf:                   Not affected
Vulnerability Mds:                    Not affected
Vulnerability Meltdown:               Not affected
Vulnerability Mmio stale data:        Not affected
Vulnerability Reg file data sampling: Not affected
Vulnerability Retbleed:               Mitigation; untrained return thunk; SMT vulnerable
Vulnerability Spec rstack overflow:   Not affected
Vulnerability Spec store bypass:      Mitigation; Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl
Vulnerability Spectre v1:             Mitigation; usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
Vulnerability Spectre v2:             Mitigation; Retpolines; STIBP disabled; RSB filling; PBRSB-eIBRS Not affected; BHI Not affected
Vulnerability Srbds:                  Not affected
Vulnerability Tsx async abort:        Not affected
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2024 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rzdndr wrote:

It will be compatible with x86_64, I am sure of that. Do not know about x86_64-v3 though...

While lscpu gives you the opportunity to look up the processor on the Internet, I'm not a fan of that.

Code:
ld.so --help

will give you the answer directly.

Best Regards,
Georgi
rzdndr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
rzdndr wrote:

While lscpu gives you the opportunity to look up the processor on the Internet, I'm not a fan of that.

Code:
ld.so --help

will give you the answer directly.

Best Regards,
Georgi

The ld.so --help output is as such:

Code:

This program interpreter self-identifies as: /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2

Shared library search path:
  (libraries located via /etc/ld.so.cache)
  /lib64 (system search path)
  /usr/lib64 (system search path)

Subdirectories of glibc-hwcaps directories, in priority order:
  x86-64-v4
  x86-64-v3
  x86-64-v2 (supported, searched)
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rzdndr wrote:

Code:

So no v3. But you're still way better then I was when I run my old computer. There was no v2, no v1, no binhost at all. When I heard there was experimental binhost, I was happy it could have aided initial installation time but I had already moved to the new hardware and had my installation running since at least several months.

Best Regards,
Georgi
rzdndr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2024 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
rzdndr wrote:

Code:

So no v3. But you're still way better then I was when I run my old computer. There was no v2, no v1, no binhost at all. When I heard there was experimental binhost, I was happy it could have eided initial installation time but I had already moved to the new hardware and had my installation running since at least several months.

Best Regards,
Georgi

Eventually will change my hardware.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: