portage putting versioned files in /usr/share/doc
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2024 3:41 pm    Post subject: portage putting versioned files in /usr/share/doc Reply with quote

I've noticed this causing problems a few times recently, and think it's always been thus, and a check shows that the only unversioned files in my /usr/share/doc are rust (a symlink) and HTML (a directory).

A specific example:
Portage puts the documentation for app-misc/recoll into "/usr/share/doc/recoll-1.37.4-r1",
but Recoll's Help function tries to open a browser on "/usr/share/doc/recoll", which of course doesn't work.

Should the Recoll ebuild be changed to fix this? I guess it would be some sed patch on whatever bit of source code starts the browser.

Alternatively, perhaps ebuilds could by default do what the rust ebuild appears to do, which is create an unversioned link in /usr/share/doc that points to the current version, much like .so libraries.
(I could, of course, write a pretty simple shell script to create such a set of links for my system.)

(I'm failing to remember the other instances, but perhaps they've been fixed already.)
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2024 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: portage putting versioned files in /usr/share/doc Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
A specific example:
Portage puts the documentation for app-misc/recoll into "/usr/share/doc/recoll-1.37.4-r1",
but Recoll's Help function tries to open a browser on "/usr/share/doc/recoll", which of course doesn't work.

Should the Recoll ebuild be changed to fix this? I guess it would be some sed patch on whatever bit of source code starts the browser.

Looking at the recoll ebuild, apparently by default the package build system puts documentation into /usr/share/recoll/doc/ (note the order) and the ebuild moves that via dodoc, which puts stuff into /usr/share/doc/${PF}/ (wether that should really be PF is a different question).
Are you sure it is looking in /usr/share/doc/recoll, that doesn't make much sense. Either way, I'd probably consider it a bug/omission in the ebuild.

For packages that install useful documenation (vs. just the mandatory Readme and Changelog files) it can make sense to create symlinks for easier access, esp. if more than one package may want to access it. But setting up hundreds of symlinks that will never be used would just make things even worse. In particular if a package supports more than one version being installed at the same time.
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2024 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: portage putting versioned files in /usr/share/doc Reply with quote

Genone wrote:
For packages that install useful documentation (vs. just the mandatory Readme and Changelog files) it can make sense to create symlinks for easier access, esp. if more than one package may want to access it. But setting up hundreds of symlinks that will never be used would just make things even worse. In particular if a package supports more than one version being installed at the same time.

Yes and no - we have hundreds of symlinks in /lib for the reasons above, and I doubt it is any worse. Already "ls" asks me if I really want to "Display all 1076 possibilities? (y or n)"; another 1000 is neither here not there! Similar logic applies to anyone who wants multiple versions installed - I'd expect the current documentation by default, and expect to specify which version otherwise...
It's probably only "formatted" documentation - I know the Gimp, and I'm pretty sure Kdenlive, both use a browser on html files as their Help system (though I can't prove it, my kdenlive seems to have broken); at least the Gimp gets it right and goes to "file:///usr/share/gimp/2.0/help/en_GB/index.html".
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: