Possibly outdated documentation: dracut, systemd-cryptsetup
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AprilGrimoire
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2024 2:19 pm    Post subject: Possibly outdated documentation: dracut, systemd-cryptsetup Reply with quote

The Gentoo handbook https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Kernel suggests using dracut with generating initramfs, and I followed https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Dracut to configure the list of dracut modules to use. However, it listed systemd-cryptsetup, which depends on a package sys-fs/systemd which does not exist now. I'm using both systemd and cryptsetup, and I wonder do I need it?

Thanks!
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2024 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That appears to be a typographic error in the documentation. systemd is sys-apps/systemd, not sys-fs/systemd. I think systemd has always been in sys-apps, so this is likely just that someone copied an adjoining line and failed to fully edit it.
AprilGrimoire
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2024 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
That appears to be a typographic error in the documentation. systemd is sys-apps/systemd, not sys-fs/systemd. I think systemd has always been in sys-apps, so this is likely just that someone copied an adjoining line and failed to fully edit it.

Thanks for helping!
I've already had systemd installed, however this module is not showing up.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2024 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What error are you seeing? Does your use of cryptsetup require that it be run in the initramfs, or are you only using it for drives unlocked after the init system starts?
AprilGrimoire
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2024 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
What error are you seeing? Does your use of cryptsetup require that it be run in the initramfs, or are you only using it for drives unlocked after the init system starts?

When running
Code:
make install
on linux kernel, I saw 'module not found' error when running dracut.
Zucca

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2024 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AprilGrimoire wrote:
When running
Code:
make install
Please provide more of the log. Or even better; use wgetpaste and paste the url to the whole output.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
AprilGrimoire
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2024 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zucca wrote:
AprilGrimoire wrote:
When running
Code:
make install
Please provide more of the log. Or even better; use wgetpaste and paste the url to the whole output.

Sorry.

Code:

(base) april@AprilGrimoire-Mechrevo /usr/src/linux-6.6.38-gentoo $ doas dracut --add systemd-cryptsetup /tmp/test.img 6.6.38-gentoo
dracut[I]: Executing: /usr/bin/dracut --add systemd-cryptsetup /tmp/test.img 6.6.38-gentoo
dracut[E]: Module 'systemd-cryptsetup' cannot be found.

Now I've managed to make it work (barely) by removing the systemd-cryptsetup module. crypt alone seems working, however the ask for passphrase prompt is usually flooded by many lines of log at boot-time.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2024 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have sys-fs/cryptsetup installed? From the output of installing dracut there is this:
Code:
Install additional packages for optional runtime features:
  sys-fs/cryptsetup[-static-libs] for Decrypt devices encrypted with cryptsetup/LUKS
(other listed packages excluded for brevity)
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2024 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AprilGrimoire wrote:
however the ask for passphrase prompt is usually flooded by many lines of log at boot-time.
This is normal. The kernel usually does not complete all setup for all devices before the cryptsetup prompt is printed, so some kernel messages are displayed afterward. This has no effect on cryptsetup, and you can enter your password normally.
AprilGrimoire
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2024 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Do you have sys-fs/cryptsetup installed? From the output of installing dracut there is this:
Code:
Install additional packages for optional runtime features:
  sys-fs/cryptsetup[-static-libs] for Decrypt devices encrypted with cryptsetup/LUKS
(other listed packages excluded for brevity)

Thank you!

cryptsetup is installed, otherwise I wouldn't be able to boot.

Code:

(base) april@AprilGrimoire-Mechrevo ~ $ eix cryptsetup
[I] sys-fs/cryptsetup
     Available versions:  2.6.1(0/12)^t 2.7.2(0/12)^t ~2.7.3(0/12)^t {+argon2 fips gcrypt kernel nettle nls +openssl pwquality ssh static static-libs test +udev urandom}
     Installed versions:  2.7.2(0/12)^t(05:23:25 AM 08/10/2024)(argon2 nls openssl udev -fips -gcrypt -kernel -nettle -pwquality -ssh -static -static-libs -test -urandom)
     Homepage:            https://gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetup
     Description:         Tool to setup encrypted devices with dm-crypt
AprilGrimoire
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2024 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
AprilGrimoire wrote:
however the ask for passphrase prompt is usually flooded by many lines of log at boot-time.
This is normal. The kernel usually does not complete all setup for all devices before the cryptsetup prompt is printed, so some kernel messages are displayed afterward. This has no effect on cryptsetup, and you can enter your password normally.

Thank you! However it looks confusing, and gives me no indication of whether I could start typing the passphrase. How can I make the passphrase prompt persistent, for example on the bottom of the screen?
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2024 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The passphrase prompt should be printed when cryptsetup is ready. However, nothing prevents the kernel from printing more messages after the prompt, and the prompt will not be reprinted. You could look upward in the output to check for the prompt. You could change the kernel's verbosity to a quieter setting before printing the prompt. You could add an artificial delay before printing the prompt, to give the kernel more time to finish device probes. Personally, I only get a dozen or so lines of post-prompt output, which isn't enough to scroll the prompt out, so I just live with not having the prompt at the bottom.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: