[SOLVED] Pipewire doesn't give sound to headphone jack
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hwix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2024 10:38 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Pipewire doesn't give sound to headphone jack Reply with quote

When I plug my wired headphones into the headphone jack I don't get any sound at all. Here are the USE flags that I used:

Code:

[ebuild   R    ] media-video/pipewire-1.0.7-r1:0/0.4::gentoo  USE="X dbus extra jack-client pipewire-alsa readline sound-server ssl -bluetooth -doc -echo-cancel -ffmpeg
-flatpak -gsettings -gstreamer -ieee1394 -jack-sdk -liblc3 -lv2 -man -modemmanager -roc (-selinux) (-system-service) -systemd -test -v4l -zeroconf" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)"

[ebuild   R    ] media-video/wireplumber-0.5.3:0/0.5::gentoo  USE="elogind (-system-service) -systemd -test" LUA_SINGLE_TARGET="lua5-4 -lua5-3"

The kernel I use is the gentoo-kernel-bin:

Code:

[ebuild   R    ] sys-kernel/gentoo-kernel-bin-6.6.41:6.6.41::gentoo  USE="initramfs (-generic-uki) -modules-compress -test"

I really don't know what's going on with the headphone problem.

Last edited by hwix on Sat Aug 10, 2024 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2024 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mention headphone jack specifically, so I assume builtin speakers work?

Are your headphones muted by any chance?
Pipewire has some kind of profiles associated with active outputs and e.g. automatically adjusts volume when connecting/disconnecting headphones. Very useful, but can catch an unsuspecting user off-guard
hwix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2024 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
You mention headphone jack specifically, so I assume builtin speakers work?

Are your headphones muted by any chance?
Pipewire has some kind of profiles associated with active outputs and e.g. automatically adjusts volume when connecting/disconnecting headphones. Very useful, but can catch an unsuspecting user off-guard

My USB speaker and builtin speaker work just fine, it's just that when I plug my headphones into my headphone jack no sound is outputted.
I don't know if I am missing some sort of profile in Pipewire when I am trying to get the output through my wired headphones, any clues on where I could check for some sort of muted profile?

The command:
Code:
pw-link -Io

Gives an output of:
Code:
  53 Midi-Bridge:Midi Through:(capture_0) Midi Through Port-0
  46 alsa_output.pci-0000_04_00.1.hdmi-stereo:monitor_FL
  45 alsa_output.pci-0000_04_00.1.hdmi-stereo:monitor_FR
  58 alsa_output.pci-0000_04_00.6.analog-stereo:monitor_FL
  60 alsa_output.pci-0000_04_00.6.analog-stereo:monitor_FR
  61 alsa_input.pci-0000_04_00.6.analog-stereo:capture_FL
  62 alsa_input.pci-0000_04_00.6.analog-stereo:capture_FR
  64 alsa_output.usb-CD002_CD002_CD002-01.analog-stereo:monitor_FL
  66 alsa_output.usb-CD002_CD002_CD002-01.analog-stereo:monitor_FR

If that's of any help.

Thanks for reaching out to me again!
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2024 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it ever work before pipewire? I always thought switching to the headphone jack from the built-in speaker is done by hardware with no software involved.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2024 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did it ever work before pipewire? I always thought switching to the headphone jack from the built-in speaker is done by hardware with no software involved.
I also think it's switched by hardware, so it should just_work™, but it can also send ACPI event informing software that the output device has changed triggering profile switch, which allows to e.g. adjust volume instead of blowing user's ears out.

Quote:
I don't know if I am missing some sort of profile in Pipewire when I am trying to get the output through my wired headphones, any clues on where I could check for some sort of muted profile?
Uhm.... Your volume control would be a good start.
Also, when you're playing something through bultin speakers, and you plug in headphones, the sound immediately goes out instead of being redirected to headphones, and returns when you unplug, right?
This change doesn't only affect sound streams opened _afterwards_ right?
Are headphones known to work?
hwix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2024 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
Quote:
I also think it's switched by hardware, so it should just_work™, but it can also send ACPI event informing software that the output device has changed triggering profile switch, which allows to e.g. adjust volume instead of blowing user's ears out.

Quote:
Uhm.... Your volume control would be a good start.
Also, when you're playing something through bultin speakers, and you plug in headphones, the sound immediately goes out instead of being redirected to headphones, and returns when you unplug, right?
This change doesn't only affect sound streams opened _afterwards_ right?
Are headphones known to work?

Okay so I disconnected my external USB speaker, after that I plugged in my headphones, and now it seems to work. Not sure why it doesn't just automatically switch to my headphones while the USB speaker is plugged in but oh well.

Thanks for letting me know that, I can use my headphones again! :D
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2024 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Okay so I disconnected my external USB speaker, after that I plugged in my headphones, and now it seems to work.
That suggests pipewire was routing audio to a different device than you expected, though this should have been easily noticeable.....

Glad you found a solution that works for you. Still, pw-link can display links too, it might be worth checking them out for future reference.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2024 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
Quote:
Okay so I disconnected my external USB speaker, after that I plugged in my headphones, and now it seems to work.
That suggests pipewire was routing audio to a different device than you expected, though this should have been easily noticeable.....

Glad you found a solution that works for you. Still, pw-link can display links too, it might be worth checking them out for future reference.

qpwgraph is also fun to use
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: