[Solved]nvidia-drivers cause gdm to stop working, udev crash
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AprilGrimoire
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2024 3:34 pm    Post subject: [Solved]nvidia-drivers cause gdm to stop working, udev crash Reply with quote

Hi! I'm coming back to Gentoo after buying a new powerful laptop with a RTX4070. On the Ubuntu system on my portable HDD, it worked fine running superposition benchmark.

I had nvidia-drivers installed from the chroot environment. After first booting into Gentoo, I discovered the WiFi adapter is not working. Then I copied a kernel config from the Ubuntu kernel I was using (on Ubuntu as my installation media), and compiled another version of the kernel. Initially it seemed to work fine, but later when I tried to run superposition benchmark on my Gentoo installation, it didn't work. Then I discovered nvidia-drivers only install modules for the current selected kernel indicated by /usr/src/linux, and rebuilt nvidia-drivers. Then desktop stopped working (I'm using Hyprland.)

After looking through some logs, I found udev crashed, and gdm seems to have been waiting for udev to settle all the time:

Here's dmesg output

Here's gdm log

btw in command line it seems nvidia-drivers is still somewhat working: vulkan-info

Any clues? Thanks!

Upd: After some troubleshooting, I figured out that kernel warning message coming from amdgpu isn't fatal, and it also appeared on my Ubuntu rescue system which worked fine. After more troubleshooting, I figured out the root cause of the problems, which has something to do with display servers working badly with nvidia and amdgpu mixed:
Code:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1170363-highlight-.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: