Install Texinfo files by default?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flexibeast
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2024 6:40 am    Post subject: Install Texinfo files by default? Reply with quote

Hi all,

i've just added an ebuild (nncp) to my overlay (flexibeast). Upstream doesn't provide any man pages; the documentation is in Texinfo format. The "Installed files" page of the Policy Guide states:

Quote:
Packages must not disable installing manpages via USE flags (e.g. USE=man or USE=doc).

However, it doesn't discuss whether or not Texinfo files should be installed by default or only available via the `doc` flag.

The description for the `doc` flag states "Add extra documentation (API, Javadoc, etc)." In this instance, i feel that the Texinfo files are not extra documentation; they are the documentation. Still, as i'm keenly aware that many Gentoo users have rather strong feelings about perceived 'bloat', my ebuild currently doesn't install the Texinfo files unless the `doc` flag is enabled.

Can anyone clarify what the policy is in this sort of case?
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2024 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ebuild should install info files unconditionally. Portage has internal support for removing them via FEATURES=noinfo if people really don't want them (same as with manpages).

USE=doc should be reserved for cases where installing documenation would either require heavy processing, add extra dependencies or increase the package size significantly (as in double- or triple-digit megabyte ranges) while not being strictly required by the software itself.
flexibeast
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2024 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks - i've just added an -r1 ebuild which installs the info files unconditionally.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: