setting cap via pam to virsh
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2024 6:37 pm    Post subject: setting cap via pam to virsh Reply with quote

Greetings,

as part of sessioned virsh, I need to create a tap interface but I'm unable due to permissions. I get this error: "Unable to create tap device Operation not permitted"
I've took out the relevant code and placed it in a c file, compiled and got a bin that tries to create a tap.
next, I've went to configure pam_cap as follows:

1. created a file at /etc/pam.d/test1 and added this to the file: auth required pam_cap.so
  2. set the cap with this command: setcap cap_net_admin+eip test1

and I ran test1, it worked.
now I went to define the same for virsh, e,g,

1. created a file at /etc/pam.d/virsh and added this to the file: auth required pam_cap.so
  2. set the cap with this command: setcap cap_net_admin+eip $(which virsh)

and ran run virsh -c qemu:///session start <vm>, I'm still getting the error above. I assume that it is because the creation gets executed in a thread but afaik, the i in setcap takes cares of it,
what am I missing?
salahx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2024 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because virsh doesn't actually create the tap. virsh just a command-line wrapper for the dbus API. What you want to is give permissions to helper qemu uses to create bridge and tap devices. That helper is /usr/libexec/qemu-bridge-helper .
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2024 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

salahx wrote:
That's because virsh doesn't actually create the tap. virsh just a command-line wrapper for the dbus API. What you want to is give permissions to helper qemu uses to create bridge and tap devices. That helper is /usr/libexec/qemu-bridge-helper .

that helper has the suid set like the docs says. so the needed permissions are in place.
in addition, the print stated above doesn't exists in qemu-bridge-helper's code file, but is can be found here: https://github.com/libvirt/libvirt/blob/master/src/util/virnetdevtap.c#L234
note that I'm not trying to connect a tap to an existing bridge, I'm trying to connect the host and the vm directly with a tap interface
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: