Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How to completely migrate to Wayland (without starting X)?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nagmat84
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2024 4:10 pm    Post subject: How to completely migrate to Wayland (without starting X)? Reply with quote

With the advent of KDE 6 I thought it has been time to start experimenting with Wayland. I am running a pure KDE enviroment with SDDM as the display manager.

I can start X (X.org) which in turn starts SDDM which gives me an option to either start KDE on X11 or as a Wayland session. However, I am wondering how a full migration to Wayland would look like (even if it might not be the right time yet and a task for the far future). I understand that with Wayland, there is no dedicated display server like X, but KWin takes over the role of an integrated Wayland server and compositor. There are basically two question spinning around in my head:

Question 1: How to start SDDM as a login screen on top of KWin without Xorg?

Currently, first the X server is started which then starts SDDM and after a successful login SDDM starts KWin on top of the X server. When X will be totally gone, how do I tell SDDM that it should run on top of KWin? Or do I have to start KWin which then starts SDDM? Which systemd service units need to be changed in what way?

Currently. /usr/lib/systemd/system/sddm.service is installed and enabled as /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service.

Question 2: How to migrate system-wide graphical default settings from X.org to Wayland (or KWin for that matter)?

Currently, I have a couple of drop-in configuration files for X.org which set the default monitor resolution, pixel density, monitor arrangement and keyboard layout. In particular, monitor arrangement and pixel density are important so that office and graphic programs correctly scale 100% paper width according to the actual physical size. However, these configuration files are specific for X.org. What is their Wayland/Kwin replacement?

Code:
# cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf

Section "InputClass"
   Identifier "system-keyboard"
   MatchIsKeyboard "on"
   Option "XkbLayout" "de"
   Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
   Option "XkbVariant" "deadgraveacute"
   Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
EndSection
Code:
# cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-amdgpu.conf

Section "Device"
   Identifier "AMD RX 6600 (Navi23 Dimgrey Cavefish Family)"
   Driver "amdgpu"
   Option "AccelMethod" "glamor"
   Option "DRI" "3"
   #
   # See: https://www.x.org/releases/current/doc/man/man5/xorg.conf.5.xhtml#heading12
   #
   # With RandR 1.2-enabled drivers, monitor sections may be tied to specific outputs
   # of the video card.
   # Using the name of the output defined by the video driver plus the identifier of
   # a monitor section, one associates a monitor section with an output by adding an
   # option to the Device section in the following format:
   #
   # Option "Monitor-outputname" "monitorsection"
   #
   Option "Monitor-DisplayPort-0" "EIZO-0"
   Option "Monitor-DisplayPort-1" "EIZO-1"
   Option "Monitor-DisplayPort-2" "EIZO-2"
   Option "Monitor-HDMI-A-0" "HDMI"
EndSection
Code:
# cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-eizo.conf

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier "EIZO-0"
   DisplaySize 520 325
   Option "PreferredMode" "1920x1200"
   Option "Position" "3120 720"
   Option "DPI" "94"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier "EIZO-1"
   DisplaySize 520 325
   Option "Primary" "yes"
   Option "Position" "1200 720"
   Option "DPI" "94"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier "EIZO-2"
   DisplaySize 520 325
   Option "Rotate" "left"
   Option "Position" "0 0"
   Option "DPI" "94"
EndSection
Code:
# cat /usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup

#!/bin/sh
# Xsetup - run as root before the login dialog appears
echo 'Xft.dpi: 94' | xrdb -override
echo 'Xft.antialias: true' | xrdb -override
echo 'Xft.rgba: rgb' | xrdb -override
echo 'Xft.hinting: true' | xrdb -override
echo 'Xft.hintstyle: hintslight' | xrdb -override
echo 'Xcursor.size: 24' | xrdb -override
echo 'Xcursor.theme: Breeze_Snow' | xrdb -override
export LANG="de_DE.utf8"
export GDM_LANG="de_DE.utf8"
export LANGUAGE="de:en"
rab0171610
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2024 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How to start SDDM as a login screen on top of KWin without Xorg?

You wouldn't do that. Kwin does not actually start until you are logged into the desktop and KDE Plasma session loads.
SDDM runs in X. If you want to run it in Wayland instead, that is your choice. It runs better in my opinion on X. Once SDDM greeter loads, you can choose to either run an X or Wayland session. This is good for troubleshooting (in case you have issues) or games run better under X than Wayland for example.
None of those X related files that you mention will be used when you log into a Wayland session. Your monitor settings, mouse, keyboard settings can then be done under System Settings.
If you have everything installed correctly, you can simply choose Wayland in the session drop-down box when logging into KDE Plasma.
For the future, just do like you have done up until this point, read the wiki and set it up. If you have questions, then at that point you would post and ask questions for clarification, not before.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Wayland
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/SDDM
PER:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/SDDM#override.conf_and_wayland_mode

" Warning
Running SDDM in Wayland mode is highly experimental "
nagmat84
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your post doesn't answer the question. Your post repeats the status quo which I am aware of and which you could know if you had read my post carefully.

The question specifically addressed the question how the situation is supposed to be in the future (maybe even far future) and what the long-term solution is supposed to look like after X will have been gone.

The entire idea of Wayland is to get rid of X one day. I know that we are not there yet and that the current default is to still run SDDM on X and then log into a Wayland session. But that wasn't the question.

There are more or less four possible answers to my question:

a) There is simply no plan yet. Nobody has ever spent a thought on how to login in a Wayland-based desktop session without running a screen manager like SDDM on X first. We will still need X for decades to come for the login process. (I hope this option is not the answer).

b) There have been some preliminary ideas on how the login process could run on Wayland, but nothing has really been settled nor implemented yet.

c) There is on-going, active, upstream development and it already runs in some kind of alpha-state, but it is not yet packaged into Gentoo. However, the principle road ahead is clear.

d) There is an solution which is considered ready for productive use from the upstream perspective and it is included in testing stage in Gentoo. If one is adventurous and wants to give it a try, the following steps needs to be followed.
pietinger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nagmat84,

the answer is:

e) It depends ... 8)

Quote:
Running SDDM in Wayland mode is highly experimental

(you have seen it in our Wiki)
Quote:
SDDM considers its Wayland support experimental.

(-> https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/SDDM )

This means: Stability depends on:

1. your used graphics card -> NVIDIA (no, nein, njet, :evil: ) Intel, AMD, or even e.g. a hybrid cards UHD Graphics 620 + AMD GPU Radeon 540/540X/550/550 (https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=483804)
2. your used Compositor (take kwin_wayland)
3. your used plasma version (no strong development on stable package kde-plasma/kwin-5.27.11-r1; on-going, active, upstream development for 6.1.x; => use plasma6)
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer to Q1 is that this is a pointless question. Why should SDDM run on Kwin? SDDM runs before the end user is logged in, and therefore runs under its own userid in its own process, completely separate from the eventual end-user KDE process. What, if any, screen driver it uses is up to the SDDM developers. That might point them in the KDE direction, but arguably having SDDM require starting its own copy of part of the Qt and KDE stack just to ask you to type in a password on a pretty screen is perhaps a bit overkill. You could consider one of the several other display managers (most of which in my view are pretty ugly, and that includes SDDM.)

FWIW, and I guess that's nothing, I don't bother with SDDM. I use a getty screen and reply to the, admittedly less than pretty, default Linux login userid and password prompt, and one of my profile scripts (off hand I forget which) runs a programs to start (in my case) either a simple command shell, KDE using Wayland or KDE using X, depending on which tty. That way I can select the session I get easily, and I can at the moment still fall back to X if Wayland gets particularly annoying.

I use Wayland virtually all the time. The main gripes are:
a) Every so often the KDE desktop vanishes, though open windows remain, and Alt F2 gets a command line (to enter Logoff usually) and moving the mouse to the TLH corner of the screen gets me a choice of windows.
b) Zoom won't let me share my screen properly - I been told this is fixable more than once, but as it's so minor I still haven't fixed it.

I'm not sure why you're even asking Q1 here. It's one for the SDDM devs. This is Gentoo...

Q2, I suspect with a post-it note and careful use of the KDE System Settings application, but I wouldn't know, as I just let X do its default thing and everything works for my very simple setup. Certainly monitor arrangement and resolution is covered in KDE "Configure Display Settings" (at least as much as I need, e.g. when plugging in an external monitor on my laptop) which is part of System Settings.
rab0171610
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry you feel that your post was not read "carefully enough."
nagmat84 wrote:

The question specifically addressed the question how the situation is supposed to be in the future (maybe even far future) and what the long-term solution is supposed to look like after X will have been gone.

Maybe a crystal ball is needed to see that far into the future. Another option is to contact a psychic medium to find out what plans, if any, the SDDM devs have in store for the future. Otherwise, you could head on over to the development branch:
https://github.com/sddm/sddm
and ask there. Hopefully they will read your questions carefully.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: