Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
plasma/systemd profile? Can you test tigervnc for me?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 7:56 pm    Post subject: plasma/systemd profile? Can you test tigervnc for me? Reply with quote

Hello, intrepid plasma/systemd profile user.

I, a tawdry openrc-nik Plasma-6 user, am having a few headaches with TigerVNC, and I'm wondering if my choice of service manager is to blame. I could sure use some help if you have a minute.

The main bug I'm wrangling has been around since at least KDE5, and I can say it doesn't happen on Raspberry Pi OS with systemd and Plasma-5. It would be a better comparison if I could see if it's reproducible on a Gentoo systemd system, but I haven't a spare system I can try this on.

That's where you'd come in, if you're willing. You would need to do the following:

• emerge net-misc/tigervnc
  • In /etc/tigervnc/vncserver.users add this line
    Code:
    :1=<your-username>

• In /etc/tigervnc/vncserver-config-defaults add these lines
    Code:
    session=plasmax11
    securitytypes=none

• Logout from KDE and go to a VT, or SSH into the machine
  • Enable and start the server:
    Code:

$ systemctl enable vncserver@:1.service
    $ systemctl start vncserver@:1.service

• If the service starts successfully, start top running in this console
  • Install TigerVNC or other VNC client on another machine and connect to <server-machine-ip>:5901
  • See whether the server machine starts thrashing CPU and kglobalacceld is top of the list in top
  • If not, press a key in the VNC session (ANY key, just e.g. CTRL will do it) and see if this triggers the above
  • If still not, make the VNC session full-screen, open a couple of windows (kwrite, dolphin, doesn't matter what) and see whether ALT+TAB shortcut works for task-switching
  • Close the viewer and shutdown the server machine or stop the service before the CPU melts (or doesn't).

NOTE: The above starts a passwordless VNC server on your network, which is for convenience. If that's not cool, please see the steps in the Wiki on how to make it password-protected.

Whew! Looks like a lot as I look back over it, but you'd be doing me a big favour in making more sense of this bug. Please feel free to ask if you need any clarification of any of the steps.
JarzaClay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2024 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try this in a kvm. I don't know how well it works, but I know there are also docker containers made by the Gentoo team. You could try that too. I have an openrc system, but there are a number of people on the r/Gentoo reddit that have systemd profiles, you could ask there.
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Interesting bit of info about Reddit, though personally I think it's going to take more than this to convince me to sign up there. Mos Eisley vibes, if you get my meaning.

The VM suggestion is a good idea. I think containers might be too incomparable to a real system to be appropriate for this type of test (plus I'd have to learn about containers), but in a VM I could replicate my real system more closely. I think I would still need to create an openrc-based VM as well as a systemd-based one to properly test the theory, but now that Gentoo has binary packages it need not be too time-consuming I guess.

It may be a while before I have time to attempt this though, so in the meantime the request for a plucky helper with the relatively smaller workload above stands.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: