Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
EFI partition mount point and GRUB issue...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dochy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2024 9:19 am    Post subject: EFI partition mount point and GRUB issue... Reply with quote

Hi
It is some time, I installed and maintained small home server base on VIA. I tried to upgrade and made a new install of low power AMD. I tried it few months ago and went into trouble on first reboot. I was not able to get through it and postponed it to next occasion and it is here now.

I believe I followed AMD64 handbook and I'm afraid I'm getting to the same issue as last time. I used Gentoo LIVE CD, I have /dev/sda1 mounted as /efi but there is /boot directory in the system and there are almost all kernel and bootloader files in the /boot. There is only one file in /efi after I went through bootloader chapter:

Code:
(chroot) livecd /etc/init.d # ls -R /efi
/efi:
EFI

/efi/EFI:
gentoo

/efi/EFI/gentoo:
grubx64.efi

I'm pretty sure I can't try reboot at this state as I would be stuck on the same point as the last time.
Do you have any sugestions? I'm not familiar with EFI/UEFI (the last succesfull instalation was GPT) and it looks like main issue preventing me from working comupter.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2024 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you wat to read https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/EFI_System_Partition and https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/EFI_stub
AndrewAmmerlaan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2024 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: EFI partition mount point and GRUB issue... Reply with quote

Dochy wrote:
Hi
I believe I followed AMD64 handbook and I'm afraid I'm getting to the same issue as last time. I used Gentoo LIVE CD, I have /dev/sda1 mounted as /efi but there is /boot directory in the system and there are almost all kernel and bootloader files in the /boot. There is only one file in /efi after I went through bootloader chapter:

This is correct, when grub is used the kernels, grub config, and grub modules are in /boot and not on the ESP.

If grub is not loading at boot, then please verify that grub is registered in the UEFI with efibootmgr. Your system might have troublesome firmware, in which case you might want to try running grub-install with the --removable argument to install the grub EFI executable at the default fallback location (/efi/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI).
GPU: Intel Arc A770 16GB & Intel UHD Graphics 630
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32GB DDR4-2400
sMueggli
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2024 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And please make sure you have a valid grub.cfg under /boot/grub.
Dochy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2024 9:11 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks all for support
I had to postpone this instalation but I will continue soon and will let you know about the result ;-)
Have a nice day
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: