Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] Have both llvm-libunwind and libunwind installed?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L1NTHALO
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2024 9:30 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Have both llvm-libunwind and libunwind installed? Reply with quote

Hi,

my Kernel is compiled with clang and I needed to emerge llvm-libunwind for that compilation. However wine-ge needs libunwind for Lutris and now I can't install it because I already have llvm-libunwind.
Is there any way to install both of them and have them not conflict? If not, is it safe do disable llvm-libunwind and still use my clang compiled kernel or do I need to recompile my Kernel with gcc?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by L1NTHALO on Thu Aug 29, 2024 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2024 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where is wine-ge from? this isn't in ::gentoo or ::guru

if you have a look at wine-vanilla::gentoo you will see there is an llvm-libunwind USE flag for this reason

https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-emulation/wine-vanilla
L1NTHALO
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2024 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It comes with the lutris runtime but for some reason needs a system libunwind. I tried getting Lutris to work with a system wine-proton but didn't manage to do it. Maybe I'll have to try again if there isn't a way to solve this conflict.
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2024 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wine is indeed incompatible with llvm-libunwind (USE=llvm-libunwind only exists because we patch it, not surprising other packages/overlays would lack it), but unwinding is optional and can be simply disabled building using --without-unwind (USE=-unwind in gentoo, enabled by default given it helps making sense of rather common errors with wine but one can live without it). If you're dealing with a prebuilt package, not much you can do though.

And no, you can't have both at once, they install libraries and headers named the same (they're both "libunwind", and the llvm- is just to distinguish the package). Even if using LD_LIBRARY_PATH to select them, may further conflict if different libunwind are needed through shared libraries the package uses.

clang "can" use non-llvm libunwind if you really had to though, have to set USE=-llvm-libunwind globally (this will disable it on clang-common for one and stop clang from using it). Not convinced it'll be a smooth transition on a pure llvm system when wasn't using non-llvm libunwind from the start though, and on a llvm profile the USE is forced as a precaution so you'd have to unforce it first. Not sure if I can recommend trying this without testing it myself first, could harm your system.
L1NTHALO
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2024 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try using wine-vanilla with Lutris because it could very well just've been wine-proton that was causing me problems. Otherwise my system is relatively new and I'm experimenting all the time.
I have already made a system wide switch from llvm-libunwind to libunwind and back because I wanted a Clang lto + O3 Kernel, so switching back again shouldn't be a huge problem.
Maybe I'll just have to give up on that 0% performance boost from my lto kernel :cry:
Thanks for the help!
L1NTHALO
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2024 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: emerged wine-staging and lutris works with it. Apparently wine-proton was the problem.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: