Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Inkscape ignores GTK_USE_PORTAL, crashing constantly (RANT!)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xharlie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2024 2:07 pm    Post subject: Inkscape ignores GTK_USE_PORTAL, crashing constantly (RANT!) Reply with quote

I'm honestly appalled at how abysmal my experience with Inkscape has been.

I have too many crashes and bugs to start logging issues with the upstream project so I suppose I'm only here to rant but if there is some secret trick to make it work on Gentoo, in some kind of stable way, I'd love to learn it. At this point, I'd call it progress if I could make it mostly-work enough to isolate the crashing down to something I could actually describe in a bug report.

I'm trying to run Inkscape 1.3.2 on KDE Plasma 6.1.4 (both from Portage, no particular patches or hacks) and two things are absolutely driving me crazy:

1. It ignores `GTK_USE_PORTAL=1` and insists on showing the worlds most useless file open/save dialogs with no buttons and the file-name box *at the top* (FFS!). There appears to be nothing I can do to make it use native KDE (xdg-portal) dialog boxes. (FFS! Even Firefox is using the right ones, today!)

2. It is crashing constantly. Every few minutes. And on "undo" or "redo" half the time! What's with that? (Kudos to their recovery saves, though. Those are rock-solid and no mistake!)

I can't seem to find much on Inkscape, specifically. There isn't even a Gentoo wiki page for it.

My KDE 6.1 desktop is otherwise super-stable. It is presently using Wayland but, as far as I can tell, Inkscape uses xwayland anyway – as do nearly all other apps on my desktop – and xwayland apps seem to be generally *far more* stable than native Wayland ones, in my experience.

Just about the only remaining issues that persist involve some flickering I attribute to the acknowledged sync. issues with nVidia drivers (supposedly fixed in v.555. and newer) and the occasional incorrect mouse cursor after restoring a minimized window – even these two problems are hardly prevalent compared to the state of things just a few months ago – I think the only app I've seen flickering, recently, is Signal Messenger. (I do mean to move away from Wayland, completely, as soon as I get time to reconfigure things. Wayland experiment successfully concluded but, yeah. Remind me, why, again?)

Forgive me my rant, please. Experiences like this pique my ire because this – precisely – is why we still haven't realised the year of the Linux desktop. I just wanted to draw an illustration – we should be there, by now! I've been along for the Linux-desktop ride since at least 2002 and Inkscape's own initial release is listed as '03 by Wikipedia, and, yet, here I am, ranting about how my day was spent on this faff.
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2024 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that GTK_USE_PORTAL=1 works only with gtk3 or later, stable version of gimp use yet gtk2.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2024 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
I think that GTK_USE_PORTAL=1 works only with gtk3 or later, stable version of gimp use yet gtk2.

inkscape however uses gtk3 https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/media-gfx/inkscape/inkscape-1.3.2-r2.ebuild#n61
flexibeast
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2024 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use Inkscape regularly, and don't experience crashes. (Well, i seem to recall i experienced crashes a while back, but only when doing a particular Thing, and unfortunately i now can't remember what that Thing was. The issue has gone now in any case.) My current WM is Wayfire.

For more information about what's going on, i suggest starting Inkscape in the terminal and examining its output.

In terms of portal usage, have you installed the relevant packages, and done the relevant configuration, as described on the 'xdg-desktop-portal' page on the wiki?

i'll see if i can get to creating a stub 'Inkscape' page on the wiki later today.
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
inkscape however uses gtk3 https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/media-gfx/inkscape/inkscape-1.3.2-r2.ebuild#n61

Yes sorry I confused inkscape with gimp.
Xharlie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flexibeast wrote:
In terms of portal usage, have you installed the relevant packages, and done the relevant configuration, as described on the 'xdg-desktop-portal' page on the wiki?

I have, and the portals are heeded, appropriately, in many other apps for which I originally configured them but Inkscape appears to ignore it.
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xharlie wrote:
I have, and the portals are heeded, appropriately, in many other apps for which I originally configured them but Inkscape appears to ignore it.

Look at this upstream issue.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: