View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carlosk465
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:23 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Using two GPUs at the same time Reply with quote

Is it possible to use these 2 GPUs at the same time? One is RX570 and the other is integrated AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon Vega Graphics
I installed the drivers and I think it was already recognized:
Code:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590] (rev ef)
08:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Picasso/Raven 2 [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series] (rev c8)

But it only shows the text that was left from the start:
Code:
EFI stub: Loaded initrd from LINUX_EFI_INITRD_MEDIA_GUID device path
EFI stub: Measured initrd data into PCR 9

Last edited by Carlosk465 on Tue Sep 03, 2024 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Banana

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2024 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can give you only some directions:
- use the amdgpu driver
- check your mainboard documentation if this is supported
- maybe a explicit x11 device config is needed

PFL - Portage file list - find which package a file or command belongs to.
My delta-labs.org snippets do expire
Ralphred
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2024 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Using two GPUs at the same time Reply with quote

Carlosk465 wrote:
Is it possible to use these 2 GPUs at the same time?

As long as it's supported as Banana suggests then yes, but with caveats.
When X is starting the XRANDR extension knows it is naming outputs from a second GPU, but does so in a vacuum, so directives like "RightOf" or "LeftOf" fail because the other outputs belong to a different instance of the amdgpu driver.
If you use the old-school ServerLayout and Xinerama extensions it causes performance issues (if it works at all).

They way I've made it work is to define both of the GPU devices, and the primary monitor only; this gets you a working display. Then use xrandr or your DE's "monitor management" to add/position monitors attached to the second GPU. This does leave you in the position that all monitors will use GPU0 by default for rendering, but if you need to shift the load you can use the environment variable DRM_PRIME for specific programs.
Carlosk465
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it was compatible, I just had the wrong firmware, vega 11 didn't appear in the amdgpu list, and it turned out to be picasso.

Code:
vainfo: Driver version: Mesa Gallium driver 24.1.6 for AMD Radeon Vega 11 Graphics (radeonsi, raven, LLVM 18.1.8, DRM 3.57, 6.10.7-gentoo-3)

Why raven? I installed that driver before and it didn't work.

I achieved what I wanted, which was to reduce consumption, since I usually turn off the secondary screen but the consumption remained almost the same, now it uses about 20 watts less (measured externally), although kwin still draws at 120 fps instead from alone to 60

Thanks to everyone for their help.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: