[crossdev]Migration/maintnance of an existing Gentoo install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2024 10:59 am    Post subject: [crossdev]Migration/maintnance of an existing Gentoo install Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

I'm planning to copy up a gentoo install from an old but more powerful machine to a machine with a newer architecture but it's less powerful (typical e.g. of an old server vs a lower end but newer architecture laptop). Both machines are x86_64, however if I chroot into the laptop's gentoo install, it results in segfaults here and there because of incompatible instruction (and -march=native which I intend to keep).

Code:
[17534.512965] python[2202365]: segfault at 10 ip 00007ff4529fcae2 sp 00007ffe29b51ee0 error 4 in libpython3.12.so.1.0[7ff452889000+4be000] likely on CPU 6 (core 3, socket 0)

I've migrated my Gentoo installs several times before, but this time I intend to MAINTAIN it on the server and do no compiling work on the laptop. The answer is crossdev.

I plan to copy up an existing gentoo install into /usr/x86_64-laptop-linux-gnu/, however crossdev installs packages which has /usr/x86_64-laptop-linux-gnu/bin,lib, and the existing gentoo install also has these directories which results in conflicts. Can someone please suggest what to do? Will it be right to overwrite symlinks /lib and /bin to that of crossdev's directories? No packages install any files in /bin/ but I found files in /lib which belongs to sys-apps/baselayout, sys-apps/hwdata, sys-apps/systemd etc...

ROOT= emerge...
Code:
ROOT=/mnt/laptop emerge....

Will not work because the build process tends to copy parts of the static libraries form the host machine which which is -march=native therefore older architecture. There are other problems too because (like emerge: there are no ebuilds built with USE flags to satisfy ">=x11-libs/libdrm-2.4.119[video_cards_radeon]".) because of which I'm forced to think about crossroot.
Setting SYSROOT= will not work since it needs more environment variables to work.
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2024 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question is: if I copy an existing Gentoo installation to /usr/x86_64-X-linux-gnu, do I really need to install the crossdev toolchain (like x86_64-X-linux-gnu/gcc, x86_64-X-linux-gnu/libc etc...)? Or will it work with just crossdev --init-target (because it seems to be working)?
dE_logics
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2024 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've realized that the TARGET's glibc conflicts with cross-glibc. I don't know how things are supposed to work with that.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: