Why can't I prevent KiCAD rebuilding??
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lars_the_bear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 2:18 pm    Post subject: Why can't I prevent KiCAD rebuilding?? Reply with quote

Hi folks

I just did 'emerge ... @world', and was told that one of the packages that would be updated was kicad:

Code:

ebuild     U ~] sci-electronics/kicad-8.0.4::gentoo [8.0.3::gentoo] USE="nls openmp -doc -examples -test" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_12 -python3_10 -python3_11" 71249 KiB

I currently have 8.0.3:

Code:

$ equery l kicad
 * Searching for kicad ...
[I--] [??] sci-electronics/kicad-8.0.3:0

I didn't want to compile this monster again -- it takes 2-3 days on my hardware -- so I tried to exclude the update by masking later versions. So I created a file
Code:
/etc/portage/package.mask/kicad

Code:

>=sci-electronics/kicad-8.0.4

I thought that would prevent any version later than my 8.0.3 being installed. And, indeed, it does -- but now `emerge ... @world` is building 8.0.3 again.

Code:

[ebuild     U  ] sci-electronics/kicad-8.0.3-r1::gentoo [8.0.3::gentoo] USE="nls openmp -doc -examples -test" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_12 -python3_10 -python3_11" 0 KiB

It would be bad enough to spend three days building a new version, but to spend that time on the same version I have looks crazy.

I guess I have once again completely failed to understand how Gentoo works :/ How can I prevent (any version of) KiCAD being rebuilt?

BR, Lars.
pingtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Why can't I prevent KiCAD rebuilding?? Reply with quote

lars_the_bear wrote:
I thought that would prevent any version later than my 8.0.3 being installed. And, indeed, it does -- but now `emerge ... @world` is building 8.0.3 again.

Code:

[ebuild     U  ] sci-electronics/kicad-8.0.3-r1::gentoo [8.0.3::gentoo] USE="nls openmp -doc -examples -test" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_12 -python3_10 -python3_11" 0 KiB

It would be bad enough to spend three days building a new version, but to spend that time on the same version I have looks crazy.

I guess I have once again completely failed to understand how Gentoo works :/ How can I prevent (any version of) KiCAD being rebuilt?

BR, Lars.
You have correctly mask anything greater or equal 8.0.4.

However have you notice the -r1? it is Gentoo's way indicate the changes is not from upstream but from Gentoo's maintainer.

So go to the package's web page https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/sci-electronics/kicad and note that 8.0.3 ebuild no longer exist and a new 8.0.3-r1 take its place.

then go to right panel see Git logThis will show recent changes for the ebuild file.

The 8.0.3-r1 log show it is promote from test to stable.
lars_the_bear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Why can't I prevent KiCAD rebuilding?? Reply with quote

pingtoo wrote:

However have you notice the -r1? it is Gentoo's way indicate the changes is not from upstream but from Gentoo's maintainer.

Thanks. I'm just being dim again.

But...

I don't want to install any new version of KiCAD. How do I make that happen? I changed `package.mask` to

Code:

>sci-electronics/kicad-8.0.3

in the hope that this would stop anything later than 8.0.3 being installed. And it does... but now `emerge` wants to install 7.0.11-r1, which is older than the version I have.

How can I tell Genoo just to leave KiCAD alone completely? `emerge ... -X kicad @world` seems to do the right thing, but I want the exclusion to be permanent.

BR, Lars.
pingtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Why can't I prevent KiCAD rebuilding?? Reply with quote

lars_the_bear wrote:
I don't want to install any new version of KiCAD. How do I make that happen? I changed `package.mask` to

Code:

>sci-electronics/kicad-8.0.3

in the hope that this would stop anything later than 8.0.3 being installed. And it does... but now `emerge` wants to install 7.0.11-r1, which is older than the version I have.

How can I tell Genoo just to leave KiCAD alone completely? `emerge ... -X kicad @world` seems to do the right thing, but I want the exclusion to be permanent.

BR, Lars.
try
Code:
>sci-electronics/kicad-8.0.3-r0
This is my guess. I have not mask anything before.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lars' most recent mask correctly prevents Portage from upgrading kicad. The problem now is that Portage wants to have some unmasked and in-tree version of kicad installed. It cannot go up due to the mask, so it goes down, and finds 7.0.11-r1, which is the newest revision that is both in-tree and not masked.

A version-agnostic mask should prevent it from rebuilding, at the price of regular reminders that a masked package is installed and the user should do something about it.
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the above, I'd guess you just want to mask this one update:
Code:
=sci-electronics/kicad-8.0.3-r1

logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Why can't I prevent KiCAD rebuilding?? Reply with quote

pingtoo wrote:

Reviosion bump was with the previous commit. They don't revbump just for stabilization.

Best Regards,
Georgi
pingtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Why can't I prevent KiCAD rebuilding?? Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
pingtoo wrote:

Reviosion bump was with the previous commit. They don't revbump just for stabilization.

Best Regards,
Georgi

I am not sure I understand what do you mean "Revision bump was with the previous commit"?

according to the log
Code:
author           Joonas Niilola <juippis@gentoo.org>   2024-08-23 12:30:06 +0300
committer   Joonas Niilola <juippis@gentoo.org>   2024-08-23 12:30:06 +0300
commit           4770d6cce06eb5e6d7eb448f51a9846ee78e2b66 (patch)
tree           43c5e0e64b3be6fbba913b0aae9db3613e4f973b /sci-electronics/kicad
parent           app-doc/kicad-doc: Stabilize 8.0.3 amd64, #937005 (diff)
download   gentoo-4770d6cce06eb5e6d7eb448f51a9846ee78e2b66.tar.gz
                gentoo-4770d6cce06eb5e6d7eb448f51a9846ee78e2b66.tar.bz2
                gentoo-4770d6cce06eb5e6d7eb448f51a9846ee78e2b66.zip
sci-electronics/kicad: Stabilize 8.0.3-r1 amd64, #937005
Signed-off-by: Joonas Niilola <juippis@gentoo.org>
Diffstat (limited to 'sci-electronics/kicad')
-rw-r--r--   sci-electronics/kicad/kicad-8.0.3-r1.ebuild   2   
1 files changed, 1 insertions, 1 deletions

diff --git a/sci-electronics/kicad/kicad-8.0.3-r1.ebuild b/sci-electronics/kicad/kicad-8.0.3-r1.ebuild
index e5ac37837120..185f4e17db69 100644
--- a/sci-electronics/kicad/kicad-8.0.3-r1.ebuild
+++ b/sci-electronics/kicad/kicad-8.0.3-r1.ebuild
@@ -21,7 +21,7 @@ else
    S="${WORKDIR}/${PN}-${MY_PV}"

if [[ ${PV} != *_rc* ]] ; then
-      KEYWORDS="~amd64 ~arm64 ~riscv ~x86"
+      KEYWORDS="amd64 ~arm64 ~riscv ~x86"
    fi
 fi

The commit is just one file changes, and according to the diff, it just change the KEYWORDS from "~amd64 ..." to "amd64". I think this mean it just change from test to stable.

admittedly, I don't know much about git log reading. so can you tell me how to find what other changes relate to this from reading git log.
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Why can't I prevent KiCAD rebuilding?? Reply with quote

pingtoo wrote:
logrusx wrote:
pingtoo wrote:

Best Regards,
Georgi

I am not sure I understand what do you mean "Revision bump was with the previous commit"?

according to the log
Code:

diff --git a/sci-electronics/kicad/kicad-8.0.3-r1.ebuild b/sci-electronics/kicad/kicad-8.0.3-r1.ebuild

This is the same file. kicad-8.0.3.ebuild -> kicad-8.0.3-r1.ebuild (revision bump, revbump for short) happened with the previous commit :

Code:
diff --git a/sci-electronics/kicad/kicad-8.0.3.ebuild b/sci-electronics/kicad/kicad-8.0.3-r1.ebuild

Best Regards,
Georgi
pingtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Why can't I prevent KiCAD rebuilding?? Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
This is the same file. kicad-8.0.3.ebuild -> kicad-8.0.3-r1.ebuild (revision bump, revbump for short) happened with the previous commit :

Code:
diff --git a/sci-electronics/kicad/kicad-8.0.3.ebuild b/sci-electronics/kicad/kicad-8.0.3-r1.ebuild

Best Regards,
Georgi

Thank you for point out 8O
lars_the_bear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2024 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:

A version-agnostic mask should prevent it from rebuilding, at the price of regular reminders that a masked package is installed and the user should do something about it.

Thanks. That seems to do the trick, and I can live with the warning message.

I guess if I continue to update this computer, KiCAD will eventually stop working, if it is never updated. But I'll cross that river when I come to it.

The problem is that now I can't run 'emerge --depclean' to clean up. But I'll ask about that in a new thread.

BR, Lars.
sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2024 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect what you really want is just --exclude kicad on the command-line anyway.
lars_the_bear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2024 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam_ wrote:
I suspect what you really want is just --exclude kicad on the command-line anyway.

Yeah, that works fine also. But I'd have to remember to do it every time and, at my age, I don't always remember my own name.

BR, Lars.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2024 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not make that a default option to emerge? Then you will not need to remember it.
lars_the_bear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2024 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Why not make that a default option to emerge? Then you will not need to remember it.

Because I had forgotten that there was such a feature ;)

BR, Lars.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: