View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krotuss
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 5:22 pm    Post subject: KDE6 audio volume level change sound Reply with quote

Hi, is it possible to change sound of audio volume level change back to KDE5 style "click"?
rab0171610
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into this because after adjusting the audio volume, I noticed how absolutely irritating the new sound is. There is no way currently to configure just that sound for now. I would recommend filing a bug report over at KDE. They are usually very good at addressing issues like this over time. IMO it is probably an oversight as it was configurable before.

There are a few suggestions which I did not like. The most useless was to mute notifications sounds all together. Or, you can disable that sound all together if you do not need audio feedback when you change the volume in SystemSettings>Sound>Configure Volume Controls and uncheck 'Play feedback changes to: audio volume'.

You can also install kde-plasma/oxygen-sounds and then change back to the KDE Plasma 5 sound theme Oxygen sound theme in SystemSettings>Colors and Themes>Sounds.

I like to modify things to suit my needs, so this is the best option for me that gives me the most control (I apologize in advance for any mistakes, errors or typos):
If you like the current sounds but want to change just that one in particular, system sounds are kept in /usr/share/sounds. You can create the directory ~/.local/share/sounds, (if it doesn't already exist):
Code:
mkdir ~/.local/share/sounds

You can then copy the system ocean theme over to that newly created directory:
Code:
cp -rv /usr/share/sounds/ocean ~/.local/share/sounds

I found the corresponding sound in the Freedesktop theme to be similar the the click sound audio volume change sound in KDE 5. You can then copy the file 'audio-volume-change.oga' from the freedesktop theme or the or newly installed oxygen folder (if you prefer) into your newly created directory:
Code:
cp -rv /usr/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo/audio-volume-change.oga  ~/.local/share/sounds/ocean/stereo/

You will then want to rename your modified theme as well as the parent folder to something like ocean-<yourname>.
To use your username as an example, krotuss:
Code:
mv  ~/.local/share/sounds/ocean  ~/.local/share/sounds/ocean-krotuss

Then you will modify the theme's name in the theme's index.theme file to reflect the name you have chosen for your theme so that it matches the new name of the theme's parent director. You can use nano or Kate if you prefer a graphical editor:
Code:
nano ~/.local/share/sounds/ocean-krotuss/index.theme

or, if you prefer:
Code:
kate ~/.local/share/sounds/ocean-krotuss/index.theme

Change the 2nd line that says:
Code:
 Name=Ocean

to read:
Code:
Name=Ocean-krotuss

Save your changes. You can now select your newly personalized sound theme, Ocean-krotuss in SystemSettings>Colors and Themes>System Sounds. You can continue to swap out sound files as you see fit to those that better suit your preferences.

I hope this was helpful. Pick the option that best suits your needs.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: