View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guerro
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2024 12:39 pm    Post subject: Question: disable qt5 USE flag when qt6 is present Reply with quote

Hi all,
I've migrated to plasma 6 with profile number 27 where qt5 and qt6 are enabled at same time.
my question is: can I disable qt5 USE flag for packages which are migrated to qt6 (has qt6 in their IUSES)?

I'd like to know before make my system damaged / unstable.

Last edited by guerro on Sat Sep 07, 2024 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2024 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kde-plasma/plasma-meta is installed here.
It migrated fine to v6.

Here's
Code:
default/linux/amd64/23.0/split-usr (stable) *

As a result everything USE in the respect of kde-plasma/plasma-meta upgrade had to be tuned manually here.

Since things such as qt5 only sci-electronics/ktechlabwhich are also installed, a few qt5/6 USE settings had to be tweaked here, in order to keep things working but minimal.

gui-apps/qt[5/6]ct is another thing in this respect.

Maybe you should consider testing pretending world rebuild such as
Code:
USE=-qt5 emerge -p -1 -uDUv world
to check how smooth things would go on your system?

Likely it should fall in one of the two following cases:

1) No complain => -qt5 in /etc/portage/make.conf should be enough.

2) Some complain(s) are raised for some packages still requiring qt5 => additionnally to make.conf update from 1), some qt5 will have to be set in /etc/portage/package.use accordingly.

Maybe you could post the output of the emerge test command?

Thks 4 ur attention, interest & support.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2024 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Question: disable qt5 USE flag when qt6 is present Reply with quote

guerro wrote:
Hi all,
I've migrated to plasma 6 with profile number 23 where qt5 and qt6 are enabled at same time.
my question is: can I disable qt5 USE flag for packages which are migrated to qt6 (has qt6 in their IUSES)?

I'd like to know before make my system damaged / unstable.

It is a good question, currently qt5 is enforced on few plasma-6 packages, as there are few kde-apps that have not yet been updated to plasma-6/qt6 (kmix, k3b etc)
Plus there are third party applications that are qt5 and some have unknown migration path. Because of that some things that are used across, such as poppler, gpgme, pinentry also have both qt5 and qt6 enabled.

You can definetely turn off qt5 on third party applications if they give a choice. (for instance, next stable libreoffice will allow to choose to support qt5 qt6 or both, you can do USE='kde -qt5' for it for sure).
Otherwise, it depends on what applications you want to run. For me it is to early to go to -qt5 globally.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: