View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lyallp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 8:51 am    Post subject: Confusion with Wayland and X Reply with quote

So, I have been using X since, hmmm... probably ever.
I have read about Wayland as a replacement for X but have never gone down that road.
Recently, I noticed KDE 6 came out and I thought I would try logging in using KDE as my desktop manager (rather than Fluxbox) and also using Wayland, not X.
I ended up with a blinking cursor and had to reboot.
KDE 6 under X, worked just fine - once I reconfigured my multi-monitor setup.
According to the Gentoo Wiki on Wayland, I have everything I need to be installed, it's just using it I seem to misunderstand.

Suggestions on what to do, as a minimum, to make my 'KDE 6 wayland' session actually work, rather than black screen with blinking cursor?

This whole thing is not a deal breaker, it's only a matter of curiosity.

I use nvidia proprietary drivers version 550.107.02 for my GeForce RTX 3060 video card.
My profile is #27 (default/linux/amd64/23.0/desktop/plasma (stable) )
I don't use systemd, I use openrc.
I have lightdm as my displaymanager (/etc/conf.d/xdm)
I have fluxbox as my window manager (/etc/X11/Sessions/fluxbox) even though I have KDE installed, KDE is rarely used though the X version works just fine.
I don't have GNOME installed at all
I keep my system very much up to date
rab0171610
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1170161-highlight-.html
I had this problem at one point early on when adopting wayland, but I don't remember all the steps I took to fix it. You might glance at the linked post above to see if anything I mentioned there is helpful with regards to verifying and/or troubleshooting. I upgraded to KDE plasma 6 on one machine today so the only thing that might be outdated are the Plasma 5 package versions.
stefantalpalaru
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Confusion with Wayland and X Reply with quote

lyallp wrote:
I have read about Wayland as a replacement for X but have never gone down that road.

You had the right instinct. Wayland is a failed experiment to replace X.org, bringing to the table fewer features, more bugs, less performance and a lot of hype.

Sometimes it pays to stick to the devil you know.
lars_the_bear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Confusion with Wayland and X Reply with quote

stefantalpalaru wrote:

You had the right instinct. Wayland is a failed experiment to replace X.org, bringing to the table fewer features, more bugs, less performance and a lot of hype.

I think Wayland is currently where Xorg was, around 2000. Maybe in 20 years or so, it will be stable and feature-complete.

The problem is that if nobody uses it, it won't improve. I lived and worked through the early days of XFree86, so I know how painful it is, to struggle with something that is inadequate and buggy. I wouldn't want to have to go through all that again with Wayland. Given my age, it's plausible that Xorg will outlive me, so I won't have to. But what about the next generation? Xorg is an unmaintainable monstrosity -- we can't go on putting more band-aids on that thing indefinitely.

BR, Lars.
finoderi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Confusion with Wayland and X Reply with quote

stefantalpalaru wrote:
Wayland is a failed experiment to replace X.org, bringing to the table fewer features, more bugs, less performance and a lot of hype.

This is pure bullshit and the discipline of Special Olympics.
lyallp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, can I use wayland in addition to X or is it in place of?

I am not really keen on trashing my perfectly working X system only to end up spending hours and hours trying to sort out Wayland, and then to find out apps I use (which are not many) don't work with Wayland.

Is it as simple as switching to a virtual monitor and running a command or do I need to boot into non-graphical mode first?

Given I can actually see KDE wayland (as well as KDE X) in my 'sessions' selection dropdown on my graphical login screen, is it possible that wayland should 'simply work' from that perspective?
As in, I select my 'fluxbox' session and login and it works, I select the KDE Wayland session and login and it works.
Or, am I expecting too much?

As I said before, this is more curiosity rather than something that is a deal breaker.

Maybe, I will fire up a VM and install Gentoo from scratch as Wayland....
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What says news? Yes it works.
lars_the_bear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lyallp wrote:
So, can I use wayland in addition to X or is it in place of?

Fedora (at present) supports both in the same installation, and you can select which you want to use from the display manager. I don't think you can easily run both at the same time without using virtual machines. But in a Wayland session XWayland should provide compatibility with X applications that don't support Wayland.

This all seems to work tolerably well on Fedora (now). The only problems I have with Wayland on Fedora is that the external monitor seems to be slower than with Xorg, and there's a bit more display tearing. Both could be the result of my improper set-up, for all I know. I haven't tried Wayland on Gentoo, and I have no idea what the set-up would involve. But I'm sure there are people around here who do.

BR, Lars.
bent
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2024 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Confusion with Wayland and X Reply with quote

finoderi wrote:
This is pure bullshit and the discipline of Special Olympics.

smh, is it still 2005 in here? :roll:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: