[SOLVED] cups "Unable to locate printer"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dpaddy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2024 5:02 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] cups "Unable to locate printer" Reply with quote

I attempted to add my printer Brother_mfcj1170dw via the cups web interface as follows:

1) open http://localhost:631/ in firefox
2) click on Find New Printers <-- found my printer
3) click on Add This Printer
4) I downloaded mfcj1170dwpdrv-3.5.0-1.i386.rpm from Brothers website
5) After rpm2tar I copied brother_lpdwrapper_mfcj1170dw (from the tar file) to /usr/libexec/cups/filter/
6) I then specified brother_mfcj1170dw_printer_en.ppd (from the tar file) as the appropriate ppd file
7) click on Add Printer <-- this succeeded
I was confronted with
Quote:
WARNING "Note: Printer drivers and raw queues are deprecated and will stop working in a future version of CUPS."

First Question: does the warning indicate that I am doing something which will fail in the future... what must I do differently?
Next I attempted to print a test page... that failed with error
Quote:
"Unable to locate printer "BRN94DDF8161175"."
which is puzzling because on the one hand nowhere (that I could find) was there any way to specify the ip address (192.168.0.5) of the printer... but on the other hand cups must somehow have found the ip address in step 2 above because my printer was found.
Second Question: How do I specify the ip address or otherwise arrange for printer "BRN94DDF8161175" to be located by cups such that printing a test page succeeds?

EDIT: I forgot to mention
Code:
net-print/cups-2.4.7-r2::gentoo  USE="X acl dbus pam usb -debug -kerberos -openssl (-selinux) -static-libs -systemd -test -xinetd -zeroconf" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)"

Linux tux 6.6.30-gentoo #13 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Sep  8 06:17:10 EDT 2024 x86_64 AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

Last edited by dpaddy on Mon Sep 09, 2024 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
dpaddy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2024 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After intense trial-and-error the following is how I got printing to work (although it does not address my initial questions).

After doing the "add printer" as described above, the magic was
Code:
lpadmin -p Brother_MFC-J1170DW -E -v ipp://192.168.0.5/ipp/print -m everywhere

HOWEVER That Will Not Work (on my system) if there are any other printers already installed - I initially had a laser printer installed - so... I needed to remove all printers and install the laser printer last. Yes, I tried other permutations; they do not work (although error messages do change).
Concerning my laser printer, I did not need to provide a ppd file because
Quote:
net-print/brlaser
provided an appropriate entry to select as an alternative to providing a ppd file.

I am marking the post as solved (even though I have no clue as to what does answer my initial questions) because someone as old and frail as I should have the good sense to count successful printing as a win and simply move on.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: