Dependancies/Tree
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcb__
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2024 5:54 pm    Post subject: Dependancies/Tree Reply with quote

Hello,

I would like to know the best way to find dependencies or the portage tree so i know what is going to be emerged as far as packages.

Example. if i'm going to do an install and want to see what media-libs/mesa pulls in is there a way to get the info without using emerge. tools like qdepends and equery are only showing me bdepenss rdependss pdependss iuse etc. also these tools are basically for installed packages. i know if i do equery d -a it will give me packages that aren't installed but it fails a lot and doesn't give me any list. also i know that packages.gentoo.org has a dependencies view and reverse dependencies view but it doesn't tell me what emerge will do. how does emerge choose that packages to install.

If this is confusing i can re-word everything

Thanks

Joe
pingtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2024 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Dependancies/Tree Reply with quote

jcb__ wrote:
I would like to know the best way to find dependencies or the portage tree so i know what is going to be emerged as far as packages.

I am not sure I understand you so I am trying to understand from your above statement that
Code:
emerge -pvt <the intended package name>
is not what you want? why?
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2024 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And other tools don't take into account USE flag settings, package masks, etc. emerge --pretend --verbose, as pingtoo pointed out (adding --tree can make the output easier to understand), is the only reliable way I know for telling what would be actually installed.
As a packager I just don't want things to get messier with weird build systems and multiple toolchains requirements though :)
jcb__
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2024 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Dependancies/Tree Reply with quote

pingtoo wrote:
jcb__ wrote:

I am not sure I understand you so I am trying to understand from your above statement that
Code:

Thanks for the reply

Is there a tool that can show me what will be installed besides emerge? Like something i can see online from a gentoo website or is emerge the only way ?
jcb__
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2024 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Dependancies/Tree Reply with quote

jcb__ wrote:
pingtoo wrote:
jcb__ wrote:

Code:

Thanks for the reply

Is there a tool that can show me what will be installed besides emerge? Like something i can see online from a gentoo website or is emerge the only way ?

Got it

The -t for tree that shows all packages that will be installed or dependencies ? qdepends or equery dosen't show me anything like that
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2024 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Dependancies/Tree Reply with quote

jcb__ wrote:
An online tool is not practical here, because that tool cannot know what you have already installed, so it would always show you every dependency, recursively, of the package you are contemplating.

What are you trying to do here? Why are you trying so hard to avoid using emerge?
jcb__
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2024 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Dependancies/Tree Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
jcb__ wrote:
An online tool is not practical here, because that tool cannot know what you have already installed, so it would always show you every dependency, recursively, of the package you are contemplating.

What are you trying to do here? Why are you trying so hard to avoid using emerge?

Thanks,

Not trying to avoid emerge i like it i just want to see how it works. not just installing packages but how it determins what package to install what depenancie leads to a package being installed.

When i did an install it installed clang and llvm and it took forever about 5 hours each lol i'm trying to avoid getting packages or deps that will take forever. i want to mask them right away if i can get away with it

Joe
pingtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Dependancies/Tree Reply with quote

jcb__ wrote:
The -t for tree that shows all packages that will be installed or dependencies ? qdepends or equery dosen't show me anything like that

I will use a sample out to illustrate the idea. Notice I also include -k option to get binary packages.
Code:
rpi5 ~ # emerge -pvtk qtwebengine

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
Dependency resolution took 10.77 s (backtrack: 0/20).

[ebuild  N     ] dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo  USE="alsa jumbo-build opengl pulseaudio system-icu vulkan widgets -accessibility -bindist -custom-cflags -designer -geolocation -kerberos -pdfium -qml -screencast -test -vaapi -webdriver" 537985 KiB
[ebuild  N     ]  dev-qt/qtdeclarative-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo  USE="jit network opengl sql ssl svg vulkan widgets -accessibility (-qmlls)" 34795 KiB
[ebuild  N     ]   dev-qt/qtshadertools-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo  USE="-test" 1086 KiB
[ebuild  NS    ]   dev-qt/qtsvg-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo [5.15.14:5/5.15::gentoo] USE="-test (-debug%)" 1750 KiB
[ebuild  N     ]  dev-qt/qtwebchannel-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo  USE="-qml -test" 202 KiB
[nomerge       ] dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo  USE="alsa jumbo-build opengl pulseaudio system-icu vulkan widgets -accessibility -bindist -custom-cflags -designer -geolocation -kerberos -pdfium -qml -screencast -test -vaapi -webdriver"
[nomerge       ]  dev-qt/qtbase-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo  USE="X concurrent cups dbus gtk gui icu libinput libproxy network nls opengl sql sqlite ssl udev vulkan wayland widgets xml (zstd) -accessibility -brotli -eglfs -evdev -gles2-only -gssapi -mysql (-oci8) -odbc -postgres (-renderdoc) -sctp -test -tslib"
[ebuild  N     ]   dev-qt/qttranslations-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo  1512 KiB
[ebuild  N     ]    dev-qt/qttools-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo  USE="assistant linguist opengl qdbus vulkan widgets (zstd) -clang -designer -distancefieldgenerator -gles2-only -pixeltool -qdoc -qml -qtattributionsscanner -qtdiag -qtplugininfo" LLVM_SLOT="17 -15 -16 (-18)" 8809 KiB
[ebuild  NS    ]   dev-qt/qtwayland-6.7.2-r1:6/6.7.2::gentoo [5.15.14:5/5.15.14::gentoo] USE="vulkan -accessibility% -compositor -qml% -test (-debug%)" 1097 KiB
[ebuild  N     ]    dev-qt/qtbase-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo  USE="X concurrent cups dbus gtk gui icu libinput libproxy network nls opengl sql sqlite ssl udev vulkan wayland widgets xml (zstd) -accessibility -brotli -eglfs -evdev -gles2-only -gssapi -mysql (-oci8) -odbc -postgres (-renderdoc) -sctp -test -tslib" 48208 KiB
[ebuild  N     ]  dev-python/html5lib-1.1-r2::gentoo  USE="-test" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_12 (-pypy3) -python3_10 -python3_11 (-python3_13)" 266 KiB
[ebuild  N     ]   dev-python/webencodings-0.5.1-r2::gentoo  USE="-test" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_12 (-pypy3) -python3_10 -python3_11 (-python3_13)" 10 KiB
[nomerge       ] dev-qt/qtwebchannel-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo  USE="-qml -test"
[nomerge       ]  dev-qt/qtbase-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo  USE="X concurrent cups dbus gtk gui icu libinput libproxy network nls opengl sql sqlite ssl udev vulkan wayland widgets xml (zstd) -accessibility -brotli -eglfs -evdev -gles2-only -gssapi -mysql (-oci8) -odbc -postgres (-renderdoc) -sctp -test -tslib"
[ebuild  N     ]   x11-libs/xcb-util-cursor-0.1.5::gentoo  261 KiB
[nomerge       ] dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo  USE="alsa jumbo-build opengl pulseaudio system-icu vulkan widgets -accessibility -bindist -custom-cflags -designer -geolocation -kerberos -pdfium -qml -screencast -test -vaapi -webdriver"
[ebuild  N     ]  net-libs/nodejs-22.3.0:0/22::gentoo  USE="icu inspector lto npm snapshot ssl system-icu system-ssl -corepack -debug -doc -pax-kernel -test" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ]  app-arch/snappy-1.1.10-r1:0/1.1::gentoo  USE="-test" 1080 KiB
[nomerge       ] net-libs/nodejs-22.3.0:0/22::gentoo  USE="icu inspector lto npm snapshot ssl system-icu system-ssl -corepack -debug -doc -pax-kernel -test"
[binary  N     ]  dev-libs/simdjson-3.9.1-1:0/22::gentoo  USE="all-impls -test -tools" 0 KiB
[binary  N     ]  net-libs/ngtcp2-1.5.0-1::gentoo  USE="gnutls (-openssl) (-ssl) -static-libs -test" 0 KiB

Total: 16 packages (14 new, 2 in new slots, 2 binaries), Size of downloads: 637055 KiB

!!! The following binary packages have been ignored due to non matching USE:

=net-libs/nodejs-22.3.0 -lto

NOTE: The --binpkg-respect-use=n option will prevent emerge
      from ignoring these binary packages if possible.
      Using --binpkg-respect-use=y will silence this warning.
rpi5 ~ #

Those with word "nomerge" are information-only. it try to help you understand how others got pull in.
Those with word "ebuild" mean emerge will build them (comple/install) on your local machine.
Those with workd "binary" mean emerge will retrire the binary version of the package from your local binary cache or (binhost if you configured one) and perform binary install.
jcb__
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2024 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Dependancies/Tree Reply with quote

pingtoo wrote:
jcb__ wrote:

I will use a sample out to illustrate the idea. Notice I also include -k option to get binary packages.
Code:
rpi5 ~ # emerge -pvtk qtwebengine

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

Dependency resolution took 10.77 s (backtrack: 0/20).

[ebuild  N     ] dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo  USE="alsa jumbo-build opengl pulseaudio system-icu vulkan widgets -accessibility -bindist -custom-cflags -designer -geolocation -kerberos -pdfium -qml -screencast -test -vaapi -webdriver" 537985 KiB
[ebuild  N     ]  dev-qt/qtdeclarative-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo  USE="jit network opengl sql ssl svg vulkan widgets -accessibility (-qmlls)" 34795 KiB
[ebuild  N     ]   dev-qt/qtshadertools-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo  USE="-test" 1086 KiB
[ebuild  NS    ]   dev-qt/qtsvg-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo [5.15.14:5/5.15::gentoo] USE="-test (-debug%)" 1750 KiB
[ebuild  N     ]  dev-qt/qtwebchannel-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo  USE="-qml -test" 202 KiB
[ebuild  N     ]   dev-qt/qttranslations-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo  1512 KiB
[ebuild  N     ]    dev-qt/qttools-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo  USE="assistant linguist opengl qdbus vulkan widgets (zstd) -clang -designer -distancefieldgenerator -gles2-only -pixeltool -qdoc -qml -qtattributionsscanner -qtdiag -qtplugininfo" LLVM_SLOT="17 -15 -16 (-18)" 8809 KiB
[ebuild  NS    ]   dev-qt/qtwayland-6.7.2-r1:6/6.7.2::gentoo [5.15.14:5/5.15.14::gentoo] USE="vulkan -accessibility% -compositor -qml% -test (-debug%)" 1097 KiB
[ebuild  N     ]    dev-qt/qtbase-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo  USE="X concurrent cups dbus gtk gui icu libinput libproxy network nls opengl sql sqlite ssl udev vulkan wayland widgets xml (zstd) -accessibility -brotli -eglfs -evdev -gles2-only -gssapi -mysql (-oci8) -odbc -postgres (-renderdoc) -sctp -test -tslib" 48208 KiB
[ebuild  N     ]  dev-python/html5lib-1.1-r2::gentoo  USE="-test" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_12 (-pypy3) -python3_10 -python3_11 (-python3_13)" 266 KiB
[ebuild  N     ]   dev-python/webencodings-0.5.1-r2::gentoo  USE="-test" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_12 (-pypy3) -python3_10 -python3_11 (-python3_13)" 10 KiB
[nomerge       ] dev-qt/qtwebchannel-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo  USE="-qml -test"
[ebuild  N     ]   x11-libs/xcb-util-cursor-0.1.5::gentoo  261 KiB
[ebuild  N     ]  net-libs/nodejs-22.3.0:0/22::gentoo  USE="icu inspector lto npm snapshot ssl system-icu system-ssl -corepack -debug -doc -pax-kernel -test" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ]  app-arch/snappy-1.1.10-r1:0/1.1::gentoo  USE="-test" 1080 KiB
[nomerge       ] net-libs/nodejs-22.3.0:0/22::gentoo  USE="icu inspector lto npm snapshot ssl system-icu system-ssl -corepack -debug -doc -pax-kernel -test"
[binary  N     ]  dev-libs/simdjson-3.9.1-1:0/22::gentoo  USE="all-impls -test -tools" 0 KiB
[binary  N     ]  net-libs/ngtcp2-1.5.0-1::gentoo  USE="gnutls (-openssl) (-ssl) -static-libs -test" 0 KiB

Total: 16 packages (14 new, 2 in new slots, 2 binaries), Size of downloads: 637055 KiB

rpi5 ~ #

Those with word "nomerge" are information-only. it try to help you understand how others got pull in.
Those with word "ebuild" mean emerge will build them (comple/install) on your local machine.
Those with workd "binary" mean emerge will retrire the binary version of the package from your local binary cache or (binhost if you configured one) and perform binary install.

Thanks

I'm really trying to understand emerge and how it works. I'll just take it at face value and realize that emerge will do what it wants and thats what it does Lol. qdepends and equery are helpful but they are just tools that show what is needed

Quick question. I read somewhere that the dependencies of an atom are indented. i see in some of your output there are some indented but some are not.. What does that mean if they aren't ?

Thanks

Joe
pingtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2024 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another output for same emerge command, please review and see if you can spot the different.
Code:
rpi5 ~ # emerge -pvk qtwebengine

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Dependency resolution took 13.62 s (backtrack: 0/20).

[binary  N     ] net-libs/ngtcp2-1.5.0-1::gentoo  USE="gnutls (-openssl) (-ssl) -static-libs -test" 0 KiB
[binary  N     ] dev-libs/simdjson-3.9.1-1:0/22::gentoo  USE="all-impls -test -tools" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] x11-libs/xcb-util-cursor-0.1.5::gentoo  261 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] net-libs/nodejs-22.3.0:0/22::gentoo  USE="icu inspector lto npm snapshot ssl system-icu system-ssl -corepack -debug -doc -pax-kernel -test" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] app-arch/snappy-1.1.10-r1:0/1.1::gentoo  USE="-test" 1080 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-python/webencodings-0.5.1-r2::gentoo  USE="-test" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_12 (-pypy3) -python3_10 -python3_11 (-python3_13)" 10 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-python/html5lib-1.1-r2::gentoo  USE="-test" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_12 (-pypy3) -python3_10 -python3_11 (-python3_13)" 266 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-qt/qtbase-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo  USE="X concurrent cups dbus gtk gui icu libinput libproxy network nls opengl sql sqlite ssl udev vulkan wayland widgets xml (zstd) -accessibility -brotli -eglfs -evdev -gles2-only -gssapi -mysql (-oci8) -odbc -postgres (-renderdoc) -sctp -test -tslib" 48208 KiB
[ebuild  NS    ] dev-qt/qtwayland-6.7.2-r1:6/6.7.2::gentoo [5.15.14:5/5.15.14::gentoo] USE="vulkan -accessibility% -compositor -qml% -test (-debug%)" 1097 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-qt/qttools-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo  USE="assistant linguist opengl qdbus vulkan widgets (zstd) -clang -designer -distancefieldgenerator -gles2-only -pixeltool -qdoc -qml -qtattributionsscanner -qtdiag -qtplugininfo" LLVM_SLOT="17 -15 -16 (-18)" 8809 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-qt/qttranslations-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo  1512 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-qt/qtwebchannel-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo  USE="-qml -test" 202 KiB
[ebuild  NS    ] dev-qt/qtsvg-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo [5.15.14:5/5.15::gentoo] USE="-test (-debug%)" 1750 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-qt/qtshadertools-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo  USE="-test" 1086 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-qt/qtdeclarative-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo  USE="jit network opengl sql ssl svg vulkan widgets -accessibility (-qmlls)" 34795 KiB

rpi5 ~ #
jcb__
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2024 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pingtoo wrote:
Another output for same emerge command, please review and see if you can spot the different.
Code:
rpi5 ~ # emerge -pvk qtwebengine

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Dependency resolution took 13.62 s (backtrack: 0/20).

[binary  N     ] net-libs/ngtcp2-1.5.0-1::gentoo  USE="gnutls (-openssl) (-ssl) -static-libs -test" 0 KiB
[binary  N     ] dev-libs/simdjson-3.9.1-1:0/22::gentoo  USE="all-impls -test -tools" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] x11-libs/xcb-util-cursor-0.1.5::gentoo  261 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] net-libs/nodejs-22.3.0:0/22::gentoo  USE="icu inspector lto npm snapshot ssl system-icu system-ssl -corepack -debug -doc -pax-kernel -test" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] app-arch/snappy-1.1.10-r1:0/1.1::gentoo  USE="-test" 1080 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-python/webencodings-0.5.1-r2::gentoo  USE="-test" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_12 (-pypy3) -python3_10 -python3_11 (-python3_13)" 10 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-python/html5lib-1.1-r2::gentoo  USE="-test" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_12 (-pypy3) -python3_10 -python3_11 (-python3_13)" 266 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-qt/qtbase-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo  USE="X concurrent cups dbus gtk gui icu libinput libproxy network nls opengl sql sqlite ssl udev vulkan wayland widgets xml (zstd) -accessibility -brotli -eglfs -evdev -gles2-only -gssapi -mysql (-oci8) -odbc -postgres (-renderdoc) -sctp -test -tslib" 48208 KiB
[ebuild  NS    ] dev-qt/qtwayland-6.7.2-r1:6/6.7.2::gentoo [5.15.14:5/5.15.14::gentoo] USE="vulkan -accessibility% -compositor -qml% -test (-debug%)" 1097 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-qt/qttools-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo  USE="assistant linguist opengl qdbus vulkan widgets (zstd) -clang -designer -distancefieldgenerator -gles2-only -pixeltool -qdoc -qml -qtattributionsscanner -qtdiag -qtplugininfo" LLVM_SLOT="17 -15 -16 (-18)" 8809 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-qt/qttranslations-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo  1512 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-qt/qtwebchannel-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo  USE="-qml -test" 202 KiB
[ebuild  NS    ] dev-qt/qtsvg-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo [5.15.14:5/5.15::gentoo] USE="-test (-debug%)" 1750 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-qt/qtshadertools-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo  USE="-test" 1086 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-qt/qtdeclarative-6.7.2:6/6.7.2::gentoo  USE="jit network opengl sql ssl svg vulkan widgets -accessibility (-qmlls)" 34795 KiB

rpi5 ~ #

Thanks for the reply

I noticed you didn't use the -t in emerge for the tree and all the ebuilds (packages) are just regular no indents nothing. meaning they aren't deps probably ? I'm still very new to gentoo

Joe
pingtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2024 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcb__,

Quote:
all the ebuilds (packages) are just regular no indents nothing. meaning they aren't deps probably ?
I am not able to understand this question. I got a feeling you moved away from your original question. I am under impression you want to know emerge show you how/what it will do to arrive your goal (build the argument=package).

So how do you arrive the question that "they aren't deps probably?"?

Since you notice the two output are for same package. Just one with '-t' and the other without. So they are just two different way to present same goal. The "-t" version give more information on why emerge choose to build some packages that are not argument but because dependency. The no "-t" version just indicate all listed packages will be install on to location.
jcb__
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2024 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am under impression you want to know emerge show you how/what it will do to arrive your goal (build the argument=package).

Hello,

Sorry if i'm not articulating this the way it should be coming out..

I want to know how emerge picks what the depenancies are and what packages to use.. when i use tools like qdepends and equery none of them show me the packages that emerge uses. I Just want to know the mechanics

Thanks

Joe
pingtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2024 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcb__ wrote:
Quote:
I am under impression you want to know emerge show you how/what it will do to arrive your goal (build the argument=package).

Hello,

Sorry if i'm not articulating this the way it should be coming out..

I want to know how emerge picks what the depenancies are and what packages to use.. when i use tools like qdepends and equery none of them show me the packages that emerge uses. I Just want to know the mechanics

Thanks

Joe

emerge vs ebuild.

Emerge use a configuration file that describe what need to be done in order to fulfill the command line argument. The configuration file known as "ebuild".

Ebuild are provided by Gentoo developer/maintainer that base on the upstream program/application developer defined requirement and Gentoo's Portage guidance choose use "USE" flags to control optional components for the given program/application use during build/run time.

Sometime packages show in emerge output are build time requirement. So qdepends and equery may not show them because it is not necessary required for using the package.

A simple build time requirement would be language compiler. it is required for building the package, however it is not required for running the package.
jcb__
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2024 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

emerge vs ebuild.

Emerge use a configuration file that describe what need to be done in order to fulfill the command line argument. The configuration file known as "ebuild".

Ebuild are provided by Gentoo developer/maintainer that base on the upstream program/application developer defined requirement and Gentoo's Portage guidance choose use "USE" flags to control optional components for the given program/application use during build/run time.

Sometime packages show in emerge output are build time requirement. So qdepends and equery may not show them because it is not necessary required for using the package.

A simple build time requirement would be language compiler. it is required for building the package, however it is not required for running the package.

Thanks for that explination

Joe
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2024 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Dependancies/Tree Reply with quote

jcb__ wrote:

Thanks

I'm really trying to understand emerge and how it works.

It creates a graph based on dependencies which reflects what is already installed and what the desired package also depends on which is not yet installed. It is a DAG (directed acyclic graph) meaning it has a topological order. Topological order is an order of vertices such that if an edge u -> v exists, v never comes before u in the sequence. Here v and u are packages and an edge v -> u is a dependency, meaning u depends on v. I might be wrong about the order as I'm not familiar with the particular implementation, the idea is the same.

It then strops that graph from dependencies already emerged and produces a topological order from the rest. This is the order in which the packages will be emerged.

However sometimes there are cyclical dependencies and on those occasions portage gives up and spits something at you to solve. It gets more complicated because there are run-time and build-time dependencies, use flags and so on. If you install binary packages, built-time dependencies will not be installed or only those that are needed to build the packages that are not available as binaries.

Other times all dependencies cannot be satisfied at once, and then again portage spits out something at you to solve.

Adding --tree option to emerge will make it display those edges which in our case are dependencies.

Best Regards,
Georgi
jcb__
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2024 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@logrusx

Thanks for that explanation

The more you know right =)

Joe
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: