Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
X11VNC alternative for Wayland & KDE Plasma 6.1.4?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kellerkalt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2024 7:46 pm    Post subject: X11VNC alternative for Wayland & KDE Plasma 6.1.4? Reply with quote

I upgraded recently and was switched from Xorg to Wayland with the KDE Plasma 6.1.4 upgrade. I remotely manage a number of machines for family members and x11vnc desktop access has been essential. I can't for the life of me get wayvnc working and even though I thought KRDP was a thing I can't find it.

Outside of the 3rd party solutions like Teamviewer, AnyDesk or NX, does anyone have anything working with Wayland and Plasma 6.1.4?

Thanks,
Kellerkalt
flexibeast
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2024 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: X11VNC alternative for Wayland & KDE Plasma 6.1.4? Reply with quote

Kellerkalt wrote:
I can't for the life of me get wayvnc working

wayvnc is for wlroots-based compositors, which KWin isn't.

Kellerkalt wrote:
even though I thought KRDP was a thing I can't find it

Not sure what you mean by this; i'm not a KDE user, but i can see that there's a kde-plasma/krdp package available for installation?
Kellerkalt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2024 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: X11VNC alternative for Wayland & KDE Plasma 6.1.4? Reply with quote

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by this; i'm not a KDE user, but i can see that there's a kde-plasma/krdp package available for installation?

I did end up finding the kde-plasma/krdp package today. I thought it would be installed by default and just meant I couldn't find it in KDE's settings. I have it installed now and configured a user. I enabled it but still can't connect with any RDP program on either Windows or from a Mac. The RDP clients just try to connect and never do, but never fail either. I'd like to find a solution that I could enable just on the loopback address as well so I can connect using port forwarding via ssh.
flexibeast
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2024 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there firewalls involved that might be blocking the relevant packets? From what i can tell, at least TCP port 3389 needs to be open, and possibly UDP port 3389 as well, for acceleration, if RDP 8.0 and above is involved. But i've never seriously used RDP myself ....

(That said, yeah, when i was using VNC years ago, i indeed did so via SSH port forwarding.)
Kellerkalt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2024 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flexibeast wrote:
Are there firewalls involved that might be blocking the relevant packets? From what i can tell, at least TCP port 3389 needs to be open, and possibly UDP port 3389 as well, for acceleration, if RDP 8.0 and above is involved. But i've never seriously used RDP myself ....

No firewalls at all, it's all on the same LAN. I was initially asked to accept the certificate so there was some connection being made, but after that the connection is not established.
musv
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2024 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: X11VNC alternative for Wayland & KDE Plasma 6.1.4? Reply with quote

Kellerkalt wrote:
I did end up finding the kde-plasma/krdp package today.

I'm also on the search for a VNC solution for Plasma/Wayland.

My task is to maintain the problems of my parents. There notebook is connected to my home network via VPN. And I'm connecting to their desktop session via:
Code:
ssh root@remotemachine
DISPLAY=:0.0 x11vnc -noxdamage

I need a solution, which I can initiate without any interaction of my parents. If KRDP works as here described, it isn't suitable for me.

Same problem is described on Reddit.
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2024 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking through the Krdp reddit item, there's a reference to kde-apps/krfb, which is described as a "VNC-compatible server to share Plasma desktops", and looks worth investigating. The ebuild definitely knows Wayland exists ;-)
I've not tried it.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2024 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought one of the "features" of wayland is that because all windows are isolated, it's more "secure" and prohibits things like x11vnc, else it requires more intrusive privileges like accessing video memory directly ... but don't know... interesting.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: