pcsx2-1.7.4029 texture loading broken.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustCauseWhyNot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2024 5:58 pm    Post subject: pcsx2-1.7.4029 texture loading broken. Reply with quote

build.log, and emerge.info. Here's the output from the terminal I get every time I try, and load textures from the pcxs2 texture folder
Code:
pcsx2: /var/tmp/portage/games-emulation/pcsx2-1.7.4029/work/pcsx2-1.7.4029/pcsx2/GS/Renderers/HW/GSTextureCache.cpp:2236: GSTextureCache::Source* GSTextureCache::CreateSource(const GIFRegTEX0&, const GIFRegTEXA&, Target*, bool, int, int, const GSVector2i*, const GSVector4i*, GSTexture*): Assertion `src->m_texture->GetScale() == ((!dst || TEX0.PSM == PSM_PSMT8) ? GSVector2(1, 1) : dst->m_texture->GetScale())' failed.
The current game that I'm testing right now is ncaa football 06, and each time I run it with texture replacement it fails at the same place each and every time. This is the emulog.txt, and the PCXS2.ini. If more information is needed to help me fix this issue I'll be glad to help. I know what I'm trying to do can work because the appimg of 1.7.4029 works and loads textures, but not my compiled version.
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2024 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwiw may want to try the (now) stable pcsx2-2.0.2 rather than some old 1.7 dev release. Not to say whether it will help or not, but it's easier to compare and don't remember what was notable about the old 1.7.40* ebuilds without re-looking (it may(?) notably not have been forcing clang yet, which upstream strongly recommend people do -- also may possibly have been forcing to unbundle more libraries, I forget when we stopped doing that due to being too messy with pcsx2).

If want to stick to 1.7.4029, ensure it's using clang like upstream. Try not to use overly custom CXXFLAGS too. It's possible there's some undefined behavior that just works by accident the way the AppImage was compiled.

Other than that, the biggest difference our (current) ebuild has vs the AppImage is that it forces vanilla shaderc w/ a patch, but that error doesn't sound related at a glance and would only have an effect with USE=vulkan (shaderc is unused without). There's also that we use newer dependencies while the AppImage will bundle a bunch of old libraries (likely also built with older clang than ours too), albeit a good chunk of libraries are bundled pcsx2 either way even w/ the ebuild. Also, there's that we allow USE=wayland I guess, upstream been disabling it in the AppImage given it has too many quirks and forcing use of xwayland instead -- affecting texture loading would be odd though.
JustCauseWhyNot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2024 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I'm kinda stuck to 1.7.4029 for now due to the project that is modding ncaa football 06 having some issue with apparently bugged behavior for texture loading that is fixed in upstream pcsx2, but seemingly would require them to remake 15000 textures. So the older version is necessary for what I wanna play :( I will go through and recompile it with clang. Cause I did compile it with gcc.
JustCauseWhyNot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2024 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to build pcsx2 with clang, and I'm getting an error early on when trying to compile it. emerge.info, build.log, and
Code:
❯ doas emerge -pqv '=games-emulation/pcsx2-1.7.4029::local'
  R    games-emulation/pcsx2 1.7.4029
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2024 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Maybe" that broke with newer clang. Going by the date v1.7.4029 was tagged, upstream was likely using clang-15 at the time (tag is a bit older than I thought, lot of things changed since that could potentially factor in causing problems).

Albeit I'm pretty sure that was working until recently, I'd guess it's either related to clang-18 or maybe the fortify changes in glibc-2.40 that doesn't play well with stdio.h being included where it is combined with clang. Went to check if pcsx2 did something about that issue, but they dropped jpgd entirely 5 months ago and likely never had time to run into issues (plus I don't think they enable fortify source, our compilers specially do by default).

Maybe try with CPPFLAGS="-U_FORTIFY_SOURCE" to work around, it's just a guess that it may help though -- haven't looked too closely.

On another note, you may want to try compiling it without the ebuild to get the more vanilla pcsx2 (also without setting C(XX)FLAGS at all in case). Assuming you're using ::gentoo's rather than a self-written one, the ebuild was more custom back then and it could very well be your issue (the current one doesn't change much but wouldn't work for that old version). If it doesn't help, it'll be ruled out and could go back to the ebuild.

If nothing helps, I'd personally suggest to just stick to the appimage at that point (unless you need to patch pcsx2 or something). Replicating the right conditions may not be obvious.
JustCauseWhyNot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2024 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will head your advice. Thank you very much. I'm very appreciative of the support.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: