Logitech Quickcam mic stopped working in Zoom
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punchcutter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2024 7:53 pm    Post subject: Logitech Quickcam mic stopped working in Zoom Reply with quote

I was using an old (quite old!) webcam, one that lsusb reports as
Code:
Bus 001 Device 044: ID 046d:09a1 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Communicate MP/S5500
just for the mic on it, because I got a new webcam with a better camera, but that one has an absolute crap mic.... and the Quickcam has been working fine until very recently in Zoom calls.

Now, all of a sudden, the audio quality is awful, to the point of making it basically unusable. (To be clear, the mic is recognized, but delivers sound that is "broken up" to the point where you usually can't understand what was said). What's changed? Well, I've emerged world since then, as I often do. And I'm pretty sure Zoom was updated in that world update.

I took the camera to an old Win10 machine and tested the mic there (with Zoom), and sure enough, the mic itself is still as functional as ever. Could it have been the Zoom app update that screwed me up? Or might it have been some audio library?

Any clues about what the library might be, if any, that caused this, or if the likelihood is that it's the Zoom app's fault, are much appreciated as always.

Something else that might help is how to downgrade Zoom to 5.x.x, which is no longer in the main portage tree. Thx.
Punchcutter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2024 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the OP, I've had successful video meetings over Google meets (using Vivaldi) and MS teams (using MS Edge) using the Quickcam as mic, with no problems, so the trouble definitely lies within Zoom. Any advice about the best way to try to roll back my Zoom install to 5.x.x would be much appreciated. Maybe I can just access Zoom through a browser and solve it that way? I've never looked into that possibility. I also note that Zoom in flatpak is at the same current stable 6.1 version that is currently giving me trouble from the portage install.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: