getbinpkg and package.env
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomsky
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: getbinpkg and package.env Reply with quote

I'm trying to set certain packages to use FEATURES="getbinpkg" only.

So, I set /etc/portage/package.env like so for gcc:

sys-devel/gcc getbinpkg.conf

And

/etc/portage/env/getbinpkg.conf as:

PORTAGE_BINHOST="..."
FEATURES="getbinpkg"

("..." comments out the actual binhost url I'm using)

However, when emerging gcc, it doesn't try to emerge it as a binary package (if I use the values of those two settings in make.conf globally, it does.)

Have I set something wrong?
sebB
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post your make.conf?

To make a test replace your /etc/portage/env/getbinpkg.conf with
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/home/youruser//tmp"

If gcc build in /home/youruser//tmp, something is wrong in your getbinpkg.conf
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomsky,

You can leave PORTAGE_BINHOST= in make.conf.
FEATURES= works in package.env and in env

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
tomsky
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I placed the PORTAGE_BINHOST setting back in make.conf, and added a custom setting for PORTAGE_TMPDIR in /etc/portage/env/getbinpkg.conf

The new TMPDIR was indeed picked up when I tried to build gcc (so the configuration seems correct - I also ran strace to sanity check the expected files were being read).

However, the FEATURES="getbinpkg" setting in /etc/portage/env/getbinpkg.conf still has no effect (unless it is put in make.conf)
tomsky
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's make.conf by the way (I've commented out the settings for GENTOO_MIRRORS and PORTAGE_BINHOST)

Code:
CFLAGS="-march=native -O2"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
USE="-X"
CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx mmxext popcnt sse sse2 sse3"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
DISTDIR="${PORTDIR}/distfiles"
PKGDIR="${PORTDIR}/packages"
MAKEOPTS="-j8"

GENTOO_MIRRORS="..."
PORTAGE_BINHOST="..."

[Moderator edit: added [code] tags to preserve output layout. -Hu]
cord
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you solve this?

I have similar one. I need binary for large packages that can't build on client (2GiB RAM). Just like topicstarter I create /etc/portage/env/binary which contains
Code:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--getbinpkgonly"

The /etc/portage/package.env contains
Code:
dev-qt/qtwebengine binary

But there's no attempts to download binary...
If I add USE="-alsa", for example, to /etc/portage/env/binary it picked up USE. So, not all make.conf options are supported in /etc/portage/env/binary :?:
freifunk_connewitz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm unearthing this old thread because I have the same problem.

On a laptop which has a pretty similar hardware as my desktop I want some bigger packets to be emerged as binary packets that the desktop has built. For huge packages like libreoffice, I told the binary host (the desktop) via package.env to use the same CPU FLAGS and USE variables that the client (laptop) has. Built package, copied over to var/cache/binpkgs on the client, rebuilt index (emaint binhost --fix) and tried to emerge.

When I do it manually, it works, like this:
Code:
emerge -k libreoffice

But when I want to do it via package.env, the change is ignored by emerge, it tries to build the package from sources:
Quote:
/etc/portage/package.env:
app-office/libreoffice binpkg

Quote:
/etc/portage/env/binpkg:
FEATURES="getbinpkg"

Also the other variant doesnt work:
Quote:
etc/portage/env/binpkg:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="${EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS} --getbinpkgonly"

Is this a bug in the package environment setting or am I (are we) missing something?

My emerge --info of the client:
Quote:
/etc/portage/env # emerge --info
Portage 3.0.9 (python 3.7.9-final-0, default/linux/amd64/17.1/desktop/plasma, gcc-9.3.0, glibc-2.32-r2, 5.4.60-gentoo x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-5.4.60-gentoo-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-_i5-8265U_CPU_@_1.60GHz-with-gentoo-2.7
KiB Mem: 16064700 total, 12021156 free
KiB Swap: 10485756 total, 10485756 free
Timestamp of repository gentoo: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 16:00:01 +0000
Head commit of repository gentoo: b84c936a10d98389a576368db4351fc0e9cd8134
Head commit of repository sakaki-tools: 571e34870d665e98677caecbd56cf0d399ee4b3c

sh bash 5.0_p18
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.34 p6) 2.34.0
app-shells/bash: 5.0_p18::gentoo
dev-java/java-config: 2.3.1::gentoo
dev-lang/perl: 5.30.3::gentoo
dev-lang/python: 2.7.18-r4::gentoo, 3.7.9::gentoo, 3.8.6::gentoo, 3.9.0::gentoo
dev-util/cmake: 3.17.4-r1::gentoo
sys-apps/baselayout: 2.7::gentoo
sys-apps/openrc: 0.42.1::gentoo
sys-apps/sandbox: 2.20::gentoo
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.13-r1::gentoo, 2.69-r5::gentoo
sys-devel/automake: 1.16.2-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils: 2.34-r2::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc: 9.3.0-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc-config: 2.3.2-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/libtool: 2.4.6-r6::gentoo
sys-devel/make: 4.2.1-r4::gentoo
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 5.4-r1::gentoo (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc: 2.32-r2::gentoo
Repositories:

gentoo
sync-type: rsync
sync-uri: rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
priority: -1000
sync-rsync-extra-opts:
sync-rsync-verify-jobs: 1
sync-rsync-verify-max-age: 24
sync-rsync-verify-metamanifest: yes

sakaki-tools
sync-type: git
sync-uri: https://github.com/sakaki-/sakaki-tools.git
masters: gentoo
priority: 50

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="@FREE CC-Sampling-Plus-1.0"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=skylake -mabm --param l1-cache-line-size=64 --param l1-cache-size=32 --param l2-cache-size=6144 -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/config /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/dconf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo /etc/texmf/language.dat.d /etc/texmf/language.def.d /etc/texmf/updmap.d /etc/texmf/web2c"
CXXFLAGS="-march=skylake -mabm --param l1-cache-line-size=64 --param l1-cache-size=32 --param l2-cache-size=6144 -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/var/cache/distfiles"
ENV_UNSET="CARGO_HOME DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS DISPLAY GOBIN GOPATH PERL5LIB PERL5OPT PERLPREFIX PERL_CORE PERL_MB_OPT PERL_MM_OPT XAUTHORITY XDG_CACHE_HOME XDG_CONFIG_HOME XDG_DATA_HOME XDG_RUNTIME_DIR"
FCFLAGS="-march=skylake -mabm --param l1-cache-line-size=64 --param l1-cache-size=32 --param l2-cache-size=6144 -O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-docompress binpkg-dostrip binpkg-logs config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles ipc-sandbox merge-sync multilib-strict network-sandbox news parallel-fetch pid-sandbox preserve-libs protect-owned qa-unresolved-soname-deps sandbox sfperms split-elog strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync xattr"
FFLAGS="-march=skylake -mabm --param l1-cache-line-size=64 --param l1-cache-size=32 --param l2-cache-size=6144 -O2 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://mirror.netcologne.de/gentoo/ rsync://mirror.netcologne.de/gentoo/ ftp://gentoo.imj.fr/pub/gentoo/ http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/os/linux/gentoo ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/mirrors/gentoo"
LANG="de_DE.utf8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
LINGUAS="de en"
MAKEOPTS="-j9 -l8"
PKGDIR="/var/cache/binpkgs"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --exclude=/.git"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi activities aes aim alsa amd64 amr berkdb bidi bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo cdda cdr cli crypt cups dbus declarative dri dts dvd dvdr elogind emboss encode exif fam flac fortran ftp gdbm gif gimp gphoto2 gpm gtk gui iconv icu idea imap ipv6 jabber jpeg jpeg2k kde kipi kwallet lcms libglvnd libnotify libtirpc mad mjpeg mng mp3 mp4 mpeg mtp multilib ncurses nls nptl offensive ogg opengl openmp opus pam pango pcre pdf phonon plasma png policykit ppds qml qt5 quicktime readline sdl seccomp semantic-desktop sox spell split-usr ssl startup-notification svg tcpd tiff truetype udev udisks unicode upower usb v4l vcd vorbis widgets win32codecs wxwidgets x264 xattr xcb xine xml xv xvid zlib" ABI_X86="64" ADA_TARGET="gnat_2018" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="karbon sheets words" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" CPU_FLAGS_X86="aes avx avx2 f16c fma3 mmx mmxext pclmul popcnt rdrand sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock greis isync itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf skytraq superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="libinput" KERNEL="linux" L10N="de en en-GB" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" LUA_SINGLE_TARGET="lua5-1" LUA_TARGETS="lua5-1" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php7-2 php7-3 php7-4" POSTGRES_TARGETS="postgres10 postgres11" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_7" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_7" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby25 ruby26" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="intel i965" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset: CC, CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, CXX, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, PORTAGE_BINHOST, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

Orvas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem, FEATURES="getbinpkg" for a specific package in package.env seems to be ignored. I am sure that the files are processed, because changes in USE work. At the moment I don't have any idea how to solve this issues. Can anyone help here?

Thanks!
Orvas
flexibeast
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2024 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an open issue - refer to bug #463964.
Orvas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2024 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello flexibeast,

thanks for the info. I have tried the binhost a few days ago, because some big packages like firefox, thunderbird, qtwebengine or libreoffice take several hours to build. In the past I have used the special -bin packages, but for example libreoffice-bin is only available in an old version, whereas libreoffice as a binary package is up to date.

Considering the linked bug, is it possible to configure the system to only use binary packages for some specific packages?

Thanks!
Orvas
flexibeast
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orvas wrote:
Considering the linked bug, is it possible to configure the system to only use binary packages for some specific packages?

Not that i'm aware of; the "Gentoo Binary Host Quickstart" page on the wiki currently says:
Quote:
There is currently no way to specify that the binary version of a particular package should be preferred to the source version. The functionality is planned, but there is no specific timeline for implementation at this stage.
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2024 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to selectively install bindery packages I can think of currently is to terminate when that package build is starting up and fire emerge for it specifically with -g switch, eventually continue with the other packages of three are any left.

The feature you're looking for will eventually come, as develops seem to find the need for it too, but it's uncertain when. I've seen good will from them, but have in mind they are pretty overloaded with issues of more urgent or important matter. I guess if you know how to do it, they may at least look at your patches and who knows, they may even merge them :)

Best Regards,
Georgi

Last edited by logrusx on Mon Sep 16, 2024 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total
eschwartz
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2024 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orvas wrote:
Hello flexibeast,

thanks for the info. I have tried the binhost a few days ago, because some big packages like firefox, thunderbird, qtwebengine or libreoffice take several hours to build. In the past I have used the special -bin packages, but for example libreoffice-bin is only available in an old version, whereas libreoffice as a binary package is up to date.

As a matter of curiosity -- what are your reservations about using the binhost by default for any packages which are available on the binhost?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: