emerge qt-webengine-6.7.2 failed
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
<3
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2024 8:36 pm    Post subject: emerge qt-webengine-6.7.2 failed Reply with quote

For some reason I keep getting build errors while attempting to upgrade to plasma 6. This time it is qt-webengine-6.7.2 that is causing issues.

emerge --info dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.2::gentoo

Code:
[ebuild  NS   ] dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.2 [5.15.14_p20240510] USE="alsa jumbo-build opengl%* pdfium%* pulseaudio qml%* screencast system-icu vaapi%* vulkan%* widgets -accessibility% -bindist -custom-cflags% -designer -geolocation -kerberos -test -webdriver% (-debug%)"
paulj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2024 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the specification of your system? qt-webengine is particularly demanding in terms of resources required when building, and may need some settings to limit what is available for building.
I have the following in /etc/portage/env/8-cores.conf:
Code:
MAKEOPTS="${MAKEOPTIONS} -j8 -l8"

and in /etc/portage/package.env/qtwebengine:
Code:
dev-qt/qtwebengine 8-cores.conf

I am running an AMD Ryzen 9 3950X system with 32GB RAM, but building qt-webengine runs out of memory.
You may have a similar resource issue?

EDIT: I have just spotted the emerge --info output. So your 48MB may mean you are still seeing an issue, and I would recommend trying an approach similar to mine. You could go with 16-cores instead of the 32-cores (virtual) your processor has. Amend the 8-cores.conf above accordingly!
eschwartz
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2024 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: emerge qt-webengine-6.7.2 failed Reply with quote

<3 wrote:
For some reason I keep getting build errors while attempting to upgrade to plasma 6. This time it is qt-webengine-6.7.2 that is causing issues.

emerge --info dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.2::gentoo

Code:
[ebuild  NS   ] dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.2 [5.15.14_p20240510] USE="alsa jumbo-build opengl%* pdfium%* pulseaudio qml%* screencast system-icu vaapi%* vulkan%* widgets -accessibility% -bindist -custom-cflags% -designer -geolocation -kerberos -test -webdriver% (-debug%)"

What is "build errors"?

emerge --info is only one half of the required information, please post your build.log as well as that is where the actual *build error* is located.
eschwartz
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2024 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulj wrote:
What is the specification of your system? qt-webengine is particularly demanding in terms of resources required when building, and may need some settings to limit what is available for building.
I have the following in /etc/portage/env/8-cores.conf:
Code:
MAKEOPTS="${MAKEOPTIONS} -j8 -l8"

and in /etc/portage/package.env/qtwebengine:
Code:
dev-qt/qtwebengine 8-cores.conf

I am running an AMD Ryzen 9 3950X system with 32GB RAM, but building qt-webengine runs out of memory.
You may have a similar resource issue?

EDIT: I have just spotted the emerge --info output. So your 48MB may mean you are still seeing an issue, and I would recommend trying an approach similar to mine. You could go with 16-cores instead of the 32-cores (virtual) your processor has. Amend the 8-cores.conf above accordingly!

Did you also spot the MAKEOPTS="-j4"?

Seriously, asking what the *build error* is before assuming things is a good idea. We still have no idea what constitutes a build error, whether it's a portage conflict or a compiler -Werror or a File Not Found or an Out Of Memory. Why assume it's an out of memory error without first asking for the required information?
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2024 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge --info also reports 46.2GB ram and 78.1GB swap, I really don't think it's going to be OOM w/ -j4 even if had a lot of ram already in-use given that swap.

But yeah, need to see what actually happened, ideally the entire build.log (assuming it's a compilation failure anyway, if it's conflicts the full portage output instead) and not the last few bits. Currently there is no real known issues with it and 6.7.2 been tested&stable for a while, so I can't take a guess. There is some known edge cases but I'd rather not assume these without seeing anything.
paulj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - late last night when I replied, and 99% of issues with qt-webengine reported here seem to be resource related. My Bad - please accept my apologies.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: