View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Armand Karlsen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2024 7:03 pm    Post subject: Trying to setup Xorg, fails to run Reply with quote

I'm trying to setup Gentoo with a DE on my desktop machine with Nvidia graphics card, after ditching Windows. Going through the Xorg/Guide instructions I get to the first test run of startx, but X fails to run with an error about "..no screens found..". This seems to happen with both the open-source nouveau drivers and proprietary nvidia-drivers, and in particular the 'nvidia' kernel module fails to load with
Code:
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'nvidia': Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
and then dmesg shows
Code:
[ 2649.885066] nvidia: Unknown symbol drm_gem_object_free (err -2)
To be honest I'm pretty lost, so I'd appreciate any help I can get.

For background, the desktop is running a Threadripper 1900X CPU, nvidia RTX 2080 Ti GPU. Kernel is linux-6.6.47-gentoo. Current xorg-server that was pulled in is 21.1.13-r1. Nvidia-drivers is 550.107.02-r1.
Banana

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2024 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should work with https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NVIDIA/nvidia-drivers since your card is supported https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NVIDIA#Feature_support

What did you do already and which path did you follow?

PFL - Portage file list - find which package a file or command belongs to.
My delta-labs.org snippets do expire
Armand Karlsen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2024 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, I've been trying to go through the "NVIDIA/nvidia-drivers" guide on the wiki, following the manually-configured kernel section (that's how I did the base system). As far as I can see, I've set the mentioned kernel options; I've set VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia" in make.conf; nvidia-drivers emerged without obvious failure

If I had to guess, it feels like something broke further back in the overall process of installing Linux, but I don't know quite where to look.
flexibeast
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to setup Xorg, fails to run Reply with quote

Armand Karlsen wrote:
Code:

`drm_gem_object_free` is provided by the kernel, so i'm wondering whether the issue is related to your kernel config. i'm not using Nvidia hardware, but two GEM-related lines in my running kernel config are:
Code:
CONFIG_DRM_GEM_SHMEM_HELPER=m
# CONFIG_DRM_VGEM is not set
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flexibeast wrote:
Armand Karlsen wrote:
Code:

`drm_gem_object_free` is provided by the kernel, so i'm wondering whether the issue is related to your kernel config. i'm not using Nvidia hardware, but two GEM-related lines in my running kernel config are:

That symbol is provided by CONFIG_DRM. DRM support is required for any graphics card.
flexibeast
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2024 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grknight wrote:
That symbol is provided by CONFIG_DRM.

Ah okay. - This might be a long shot, but is there any straightforward (or even "relatively straightforward") way of determining which kernel config option is associated with a given symbol?
Banana

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2024 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also this note about DRM on the wiki page https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NVIDIA/nvidia-drivers#Direct_rendering_is_not_enabled

And in the manual section https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NVIDIA/nvidia-drivers#Manually_Compiled_Kernel there is no mention about setting CONFIG_DRM option.

So, maybe it is a mix. try it without and make sure the drives are compiled again against the correct kernel.

PFL - Portage file list - find which package a file or command belongs to.
My delta-labs.org snippets do expire
Armand Karlsen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2024 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banana wrote:
There is also this note about DRM on the wiki page https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NVIDIA/nvidia-drivers#Direct_rendering_is_not_enabled

And in the manual section https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NVIDIA/nvidia-drivers#Manually_Compiled_Kernel there is no mention about setting CONFIG_DRM option.

So, maybe it is a mix. try it without and make sure the drives are compiled again against the correct kernel.

- As a test, I tried compiling the kernel with CONFIG_DRM unset and that spat out a whole heap of "DEPMOD: WARNING:..." complaining that nvidia.ko "..needs unknown symbol..." for various "drm_..." symbols.

- Booting with that kernel and re-emerging nvidia-drivers gives a red-starred notice at the end about "..CONFIG_DRM_KMS_HELPER: is not set but needed for Xorg auto-detection..." and suggests selecting a DRM device "even if not used".

- That didn't sound so good, so I enabled DRM once more and added the Intel i915 item. Boot with that and re-emerge nvidia drivers. No red-starred notice, and Xorg still fails with an error about "no screens"; HOWEVER, the nvidia module _does_ now show up in lsmod, and there is no "nvidia: unknown symbol..." line in dmesg. So that's progress, I hope

EDIT: ...aaand the module broke again, for some reason that's not clear to me... I'm getting more of a feeling that something's more deeply mucked up in this installation. I'm starting to lean more towards scrubbing and starting again
Amity88
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you link me to a pastebin of your kernel .config? I just brought up a system with a GTX1050Ti using the proprietary drivers.

Also... Be ignorant... Be happy! :)
Armand Karlsen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2024 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amity88 wrote:
Could you link me to a pastebin of your kernel .config? I just brought up a system with a GTX1050Ti using the proprietary drivers.

Here's the .config of what's currently in /usr/src/linux: https://pastebin.com/SExLFvW8
pietinger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens if you disable CONFIG_SYSFB_SIMPLEFB=y ?

(this is NOT Simple framebuffer support (CONFIG_FB_SIMPLE); this is also NOT Simple framebuffer driver (CONFIG_DRM_SIMPLEDRM); it is the option in DeviceDriver->FirmwareDrivers->Mark VGA/VBE/EFI FB as generic system framebuffer; I recommend to keep all 3 disabled)

(Yes, the trick to enable i915 as module to get DRM_DISPLAY_HELPER [=y] && DRM_KMS_HELPER [=y] is well known and you should keep it.)
Armand Karlsen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2024 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pietinger wrote:
What happens if you disable CONFIG_SYSFB_SIMPLEFB=y ?

(this is NOT Simple framebuffer support (CONFIG_FB_SIMPLE); this is also NOT Simple framebuffer driver (CONFIG_DRM_SIMPLEDRM); it is the option in DeviceDriver->FirmwareDrivers->Mark VGA/VBE/EFI FB as generic system framebuffer; I recommend to keep all 3 disabled)

(Yes, the trick to enable i915 as module to get DRM_DISPLAY_HELPER [=y] && DRM_KMS_HELPER [=y] is well known and you should keep it.)

I tried disabling CONFIG_SYSFB_SIMPLEFB, compile and boot on that, but sadly no luck :( Xorg still fails with no screens, "nvidia" module won't load, and the dmesg error "nvidia: Unknown symbol drm_gem_object_free (err -2)" is still there
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: