does gentoo have features of cachyos?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anonymous1234
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:28 pm    Post subject: does gentoo have features of cachyos? Reply with quote

Hi people of gentoo! I have installed gentoo before more as an experiment but this time I am going to do it in order to daily drive it. I currently run on cachyos but wish to use gentoo so that I dont have systemd. I would rather use dinit, but most likely use runit as it officially supported. I would like the features in cachyos as they for my system show a pretty good difference over vanilla arch. I tried dealing with artix, but there isnt much I can do with that tbh and gentoo has more opportunities for me to work with.
Thank you very much everyone in advance.
eschwartz
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2024 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CachyOS offers to compile all packages with optimized CFLAGS. That is certainly something it's possible to do with Gentoo, especially if you compile from source. ;) But Gentoo also has a binary repository of x86-64-v3 packages.

Gentoo can do LTO but we are tracking issues with it at https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=lto and will hopefully flip the switch once things progress a bit further (we are basically in the home stretch).

Not really sure what else CachyOS is actually doing, other than providing a patched kernel with a specific scheduler. You could apply that kernel patch to Gentoo as well, pretty easily. See e.g. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/patches in case you're unfamiliar with this functionality.
anonymous1234
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2024 3:44 pm    Post subject: Thank you eschwartz! Reply with quote

Thanks boss for telling me about how I can get the patches to work. Hopefully the bugs can be figured out soon and then I shall make a permanent move to gentoo! t'is exciting!!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: