Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What does it mean for a -bin package to be ignored?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lars_the_bear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:40 am    Post subject: What does it mean for a -bin package to be ignored? Reply with quote

Hi folks

I just ran `emerge --ask --update --newuse --deep --usepkg @world` and I got this (among other problems):

Code:

!!! The following binary packages have been ignored due to non matching USE:

=app-office/libreoffice-bin-7.6.7.2 python_single_target_python3_11 -python_single_target_python3_12

Since (IIUC) libreoff-bin is specifically a binary package, what does it mean for it to be 'ignored'? I'm used to seeing this warning for packages that might actually be built from source, but surely there's no prospect of that in this case?

I'm also confused about the Python thing here. I have both 3.11 and 3.12 installed, although I never specifically asked for either. Is the error message saying that only one of these versions can be installed? Since I didn't install them, I'm not sure what I could do about that.

BR, Lars.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2024 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The USE flags on your system effective for app-office/libreoffice-bin do not satisfy the needs of 7.6.7.2. It needs precisely the PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET version it was created with.
lars_the_bear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2024 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
The USE flags on your system effective for app-office/libreoffice-bin do not satisfy the needs of 7.6.7.2. It needs precisely the PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET version it was created with.

So libreoffice-bin can't be installed if you have multiple versions of Python? I didn't install either of those Python versions explicitly, so how could I prevent that happening?

BR, Lars.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2024 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a USE flag. That only relates to your *installed* python versions, of which of course there can be many, in so far as the *USE flag* will certainly cause the required python version to be pulled in. But you need to check your *USE flag settings* on libreoffice-bin.
lars_the_bear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2024 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
It's a USE flag. That only relates to your *installed* python versions, of which of course there can be many, in so far as the *USE flag* will certainly cause the required python version to be pulled in. But you need to check your *USE flag settings* on libreoffice-bin.

I am, as usual, confused.

The version of libreoffice-bin I currently have has:

Code:

$ equery u libreoffice-bin
 + - python_single_target_python3_12 : Build for Python 3.12 only

And my current python USE-flag settings, according to `emerge --info` are:

Code:

PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_12" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_12"

IIUC it looks as if libreoffice-bin wants me to set `python_single_target_python3_11` and not set `python_single_target_python3_11` (?)

But, as I said, I didn't explicitly set any of these flags. So I'm totally baffled.

BR, Lars.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2024 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lars_the_bear wrote:
Code:

$ equery u libreoffice-bin
 + - python_single_target_python3_12 : Build for Python 3.12 only

This shows us that an Update would switch to 3.12 for libreoffice-bin.

lars_the_bear wrote:
Code:

PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_12" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_12"

IIUC it looks as if libreoffice-bin wants me to set `python_single_target_python3_11` and not set `python_single_target_python3_11` (?)

Not understood.

emerge --info is one thing, but you didn't check `emerge -vp libreoffice-bin` that will show you the full implications including your *local* package.use overrides on libreoffice-bin.

In general, stop showing us snippets. It is really frustrating having to ask for every single bit separately when you should simply paste the full emerge output, including your emerge command, from the outset. I'm sure I'm not the first person to request that.
lars_the_bear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2024 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:

emerge --info is one thing, but you didn't check `emerge -vp libreoffice-bin` that will show you the full implications including your *local* package.use overrides on libreoffice-bin.

Code:

[ebuild   R    ] app-office/libreoffice-bin-7.6.7.2::gentoo  USE="-gnome -java -kde" CPU_FLAGS_X86="sse2" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_12%* (-python3_11%*)" 0 KiB

Thank you, but I don't really know how to interpret this information. To the best of my knowledge, I've never changed any settings related to libreoffice-bin or Python -- not explicitly. I appreciate that such changes might have been made as a side-effect of something else. But I don't know what.

BR, Lars.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2024 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That line by itself tells us that everything is perfectly fine.

But since you are only ever showing us snippets, no one can really understand your actual problem. As I said.
asturm wrote:
In general, stop showing us snippets. It is really frustrating having to ask for every single bit separately when you should simply paste the full emerge output, including your emerge command, from the outset. I'm sure I'm not the first person to request that.
eschwartz
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2024 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What does it mean for a -bin package to be ignored? Reply with quote

lars_the_bear wrote:
Hi folks

I just ran `emerge --ask --update --newuse --deep --usepkg @world` and I got this (among other problems):

Code:

!!! The following binary packages have been ignored due to non matching USE:

=app-office/libreoffice-bin-7.6.7.2 python_single_target_python3_11 -python_single_target_python3_12

Since (IIUC) libreoff-bin is specifically a binary package, what does it mean for it to be 'ignored'? I'm used to seeing this warning for packages that might actually be built from source, but surely there's no prospect of that in this case?

I'm also confused about the Python thing here. I have both 3.11 and 3.12 installed, although I never specifically asked for either. Is the error message saying that only one of these versions can be installed? Since I didn't install them, I'm not sure what I could do about that.

BR, Lars.

app-office/libreoffice is a source package and supports being built for python 3.10, 3.11, or 3.12 at your choice, depending on the USE flags you set.

app-office/libreoffice-bin is someone else's precompiled libreoffice binary uploaded as a tarball, built with exactly a specific USE flag, then downloaded in an *ebuild*, not a binary package, for rapid installation. It cannot be compiled for "your choice of python versions" as it's already been compiled. It only supports a single python version.

libreoffice-bin was rebuilt and re-uploaded at one point after the general switch to python 3.12 -- but someone forgot to update its USE flag. In https://bugs.gentoo.org/938895 it was reported that installing libreoffice-bin had broken dependencies, since it added python 3.11 as a dependency but was actually linked to python 3.12 -- and so, in https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/?id=29e0ebd1e92cda254d73109d8ac50a81b2c5cf44 this dependency bug was fixed.

The emerge warning is telling you that you compiled a *binpackage* (a .gpkg.tar file) of a prebuilt binary, and your binpackage isn't a candidate for installation anymore because the binpackage was built for a broken USE flag. That's fine, since extracting a prebuilt binary in a tarball or extracting a prebuilt binpackage makes very little difference at all. Personally, I'd say it is kind of a waste of space to build one -- the prebuilt tarball in /var/cache/distfiles is 150mb and the .gpkg.tar in /var/cache/binpkgs would be similarly large, but since it is always just as easy to install from the former, that is 150mb of wasted space in the latter.

It doesn't make a whole lot of difference I suppose. Using --buildpkg in general when doing updates will tend to build binpackages of *everything*, even stuff that just extracts files and copies them over. You could use --buildpkg-exclude but then you need to decide which packages to exclude.
lars_the_bear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2024 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What does it mean for a -bin package to be ignored? Reply with quote

eschwartz wrote:

It doesn't make a whole lot of difference I suppose. Using --buildpkg in general when doing updates will tend to build binpackages of *everything*, even stuff that just extracts files and copies them over. You could use --buildpkg-exclude but then you need to decide which packages to exclude.

Thank you. I understand the problem (kind of) now. As for --buildpkg -- yes, I have it set as a default option and, yes, I imagine it doesn't help to build my own packages of binary packages. I just build packages of everything to populate my binhost. I don't know if you can say `--buildpkg-exclude=*-bin` or something like that. But, even if you can, I'm not sure that every package that contains binaries actually has '-bin' in the name. It just seemed easier to build everything, despite the pointless waste of storage.

BR, Lars.
eschwartz
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2024 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What does it mean for a -bin package to be ignored? Reply with quote

lars_the_bear wrote:
It just seemed easier to build everything, despite the pointless waste of storage.

Indeed. It just looks a bit, well, funny when it reports mismatched USE and portage doesn't realize that it doesn't matter. :)

https://bugs.gentoo.org/542480 is relevant here, I guess. So is https://bugs.gentoo.org/885827
lars_the_bear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2024 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: What does it mean for a -bin package to be ignored? Reply with quote

eschwartz wrote:

Indeed. It just looks a bit, well, funny when it reports mismatched USE and portage doesn't realize that it doesn't matter. :)

I guess I just don't know enough about Portage, to know when a message like this is a worry or not. In this case, it turns out that I need not have worried. I just ignored it and everything was fine.

BR, Lars.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: