How's everyone doing?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amity88
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:06 am    Post subject: How's everyone doing? Reply with quote

I'm kinda revisiting after a big break ( predictably after a fresh Gentoo install ). How's everyone holding up? Neddy Seadragon, pjp, Hu especially. I also wonder about all the guys from OTW.

Also... Be ignorant... Be happy! :)
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2024 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How's everyone doing? Reply with quote

Welcome back!
Amity88 wrote:
I also wonder about all the guys from OTW.

They were mostly flushed out shortly before the Jan 6th Capitol attack.
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2024 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: How's everyone doing? Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
Welcome back!
Amity88 wrote:

Comity, learn about it.
Amity88
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2024 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: How's everyone doing? Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
Welcome back!
Amity88 wrote:

Thanks! asturm

For all the time it takes to compile, I find myself always returning to Gentoo. I guess all the bin distros are good for checking out new features. Stable configuration in Gentoo is much easier to maintain than you think, unless if you take way too long to update.

I found it easier to reinstall my 2 year old Gentoo rather than debug and fix the issues from the changes. The old kernel and other configs helped make the reinstall a lot quicker.

Also... Be ignorant... Be happy! :)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2024 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo is still here, as are BSDs.

Most of the OTW regulars left when it was closed in Dec 2020. Every once in a while a couple of them post. OTW2 eventually closed as well. Something may or may not have happened to it's maintainer, or maybe it merely expired.

I have to upgrade a router soon. It's long past due, but has been showing increasing problems, so it can't wait much longer. At least I hope the problems will be resolved by an upgrade. A new computer would be nice, but that's unlikely any time soon. I do have some old, spare laptops I've started messing with, but not much.

More recently I've been working with C again, and the last few days I've been spending time working to better understand make and Makefile. I finally got what I wanted working, but it relies on too much hard coding of file names. Hopefully I can translate that the project I've been working on and have better organization of the project.

In October I'll probably switch to profile 23. Instead of upgrading, I may do a reinstall. It will depend on how big the backup would be. /etc, world, and /home I think should do it. Unfortunately I won't get far enough along with ZFS experiments before I have to upgrade, so I'll probably have to try for the next physical upgrade for that. I have no idea how much a pain it will be to maintain, so that's the uncertainty.

That's about it for the hobby stuff.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2024 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still here. I still stick mostly to technical threads.

Profile 23 was pretty easy for me.
Zucca

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2024 8:05 pm    Post subject: Welcome back Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Profile 23 was pretty easy for me.
Easy here as well. Same with a the python and perl upgrades.

Welcome back Amity88!
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
Gatsby
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2024 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Gentoo is still here, as are BSDs.
In October I'll probably switch to profile 23. Instead of upgrading, I may do a reinstall.

Half a year ago I upgraded directly from profile 17.0 to profile 23.0, leapfrogging profile 17.1 and reverting the SYMLINK_LIB changes made in profile 17.1/23.0.
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:AMD64/Multilib_layout
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2024 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah! I didn't expect a profile 23 discussion. I'm mainly delaying it because there are 3. A binhost / primary workstation / server, a chroot, and my laptop that receives the binaries from the chroot.

Some time before mid-2022 I was seeing some "internal compiler errors" on gcc and clang (and/or something llvm related). After whatever needed to be updated during regular updates finished, the first re-emerge attempt for the failed package would succeed. I'd usually see the failure the next day, and a re-emerge would succeed. On a small number of occasions when the re-emerge would fail, I recall that it happened soon after the first failure. That is, the re-emerge was done within minutes of the failure, not overnight. And it was only those close attempts to re-emerge that failed.

The big packages failing and then succeeding makes me think memory issues. The "close together" failures make me think heat. And no, I haven't yet run memtest on it. I haven't experienced any other odd problems, so if it is memory related, it is rarely encountered (except for that mid-2022 period... I don't recall the last time it happened.

And while I won't stare at the output of compiling, I will want to keep a close eye on whether or not there are any issues, given that the only recommended path is an emptytree rebuild. I typically updated the binhost, then chroot, and finally the laptop.

But since the upgrade procedure also negates any gain that might have come from --buildpkg binaries, it seems marginally different from a reinstall. I'll probably do an upgrade, but I still need to prepare for recovery.

I also thought I might replace the hardware, but that's unlikely before 17.1 is deprecated. And I'd sooner go back to Windows than try and maintain my own profile.

<soapbox-rant>But for the lack of an easier alternative / path, being spammed by the entire profile 23 news update every time portage is engaged, I'd be using something else by now.</soapbox-rant>
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2024 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could modify your local Portage tree to un-deprecate the 17.1 profile. The deprecation itself is just so you aren't surprised when it goes away one day, so removing that warning shouldn't hurt Portage's operation. Such a modification will be undone on your next sync, but it's a small enough change that you could redo it.

I chose to take my chances on the 23 migration by not doing an emerge --emptytree. I have not observed any problems from that decision, though I feel compelled to note that this is a deviation from the standard instructions, and should not be attempted without some consideration for the risks versus rewards of such a deviation. Lurking readers should not take my success as an assurance that they too can get away with skipping it.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get why it's there, but it's exceedingly obnoxious and doesn't really do anything constructive. If I were the type to wager based on past performance, I'd be willing to "guarantee" SOMEONE is going to ask about it because they have a system that hasn't been updated in months or years and they didn't know.

I had hoped reading it would silence it, but no luck. I sometimes leave news items "unread" as a reminder.

I haven't seriously considered not doing the emptytree method, mainly because I don't want the pieces. I have considered a slower approach though where I only update with Gentoo binaries (I suspect most won't be compatible) and then generate an emptytree list of packages that I go through in chunks. But I'm not really sure how "safe" that would work. I presume using nodeps wouldn't be a good solution as it seems that could compound potential problems.

I'll see what I have to do to un-deprecate it
Gatsby
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2024 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
I chose to take my chances on the 23 migration by not doing an emerge --emptytree.

I did the same and got no problems so far that I could not solve.

@pjp: You can keep a modified profile in your local overlay, so that the changes you made to it are not reverted by every new sync.
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2024 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How's everyone doing? Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
Welcome back!
Amity88 wrote:

Pointless purge surely then comerade?
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
I chose to take my chances on the 23 migration by not doing an emerge --emptytree. I have not observed any problems from that decision, though I feel compelled to note that this is a deviation from the standard instructions, and should not be attempted without some consideration for the risks versus rewards of such a deviation. Lurking readers should not take my success as an assurance that they too can get away with skipping it.

I haven't done the profile migration yet, but, based on sam_'s response, I'm also skipping emerge --emptytree when I do it, being aware that it's a deviation from standard instructions, and confident (confidence hopefully justified :P) that I'll be able to put the pieces back together again if something breaks :) I don't a priori expect the fix to be anything worse than emerge --onshot of a couple of packages with the updated toolchain anyway...
As a packager I just don't want things to get messier with weird build systems and multiple toolchains requirements though :)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2024 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatsby wrote:
@pjp: You can keep a modified profile in your local overlay, so that the changes you made to it are not reverted by every new sync.
I haven't messed much with profiles, so that's likely to be more work than it's worth. If it was closer to 17.1 disappearing, I'd go that route.

I'm leaning toward the migration without emptytree and then somehow updating stuff later via a pseudo-emptytree. I guess one way would be to monitor installed packages that didn't have a corresponding binary package.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: