elogind not executing hook scripts
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skiwarz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2024 4:08 pm    Post subject: elogind not executing hook scripts Reply with quote

When I put my machine to sleep, I have a hook script installed in /lib64/elogind/system-sleep/ that I expect to perform some tasks. But elogind will not execute the scripts in this directory, despite the man page saying it will. The script's permissions are root:root 755. If I copy my script to /usr/lib/elogind/system-sleep/ it executes as expected.

I currently have sys-auth/elogind-255.5 installed and running openrc.

Is the man page wrong, or is something else preventing this?
Anyone else experience this?
skiwarz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2024 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a test, I upgraded elogind on my second machine from version 246.10-r4 to 255.5, and the same problem newly appeared there.
So, it seems to be an issue with 255.5 (as far as I can tell).
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2024 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See https://bugs.gentoo.org/939216, albeit the issue there is more that the change hasn't been conveyed to users (unlikely anyone noticed it'd impact this when making that change).

tl;dr preferably use /etc/elogind/system-sleep/ given it works with both the old and new version of the elogind ebuild and it's a better suited location for user-installed hooks, while ebuilds can install to /usr/lib/elogind/system-sleep/ for >=255.5 (new path that generally makes more sense and is better suited for merged-usr).
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2024 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to prevent 255.5 here too, as it caused hybrid-sleep on power button to fail...

Thks 4 ur attention, interest & support.
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2024 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainBlood wrote:
I had to prevent 255.5 here too, as it caused some issue with hybrid-sleep...
No idea if it is the cause of your issues, but first thing I'd think of is the change in defaults from "deep" to "sd2idle" in 255.5, see https://github.com/elogind/elogind/issues/285 (as noted on the issue, it's possible to configure it back to the old default). Fine for some, entirely broken for others.

Unfortunately upstream has a tendency to go missing for a while and randomly come back, and getting answers or fixes can be difficult. In general I find it hard to recommend elogind, albeit this leaves little choice to (most) desktop openrc users beside "give up and use systemd".

Note that the hooks issues are unrelated to upstream, that one is due to an ebuild change. May have helped if the /etc path had been better documented so users hadn't used /lib64 though.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: